Resource The list your Ken Hinkley Era Stats Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the nighttime games correlate with FTA coverage and then umpiring performance?

Coobk001 could check the difference between games against Victorians and against others. If there's a Vic bias, it would show. I may be wrong, but I doubt that it will show a significant difference.

On the other hand, night games would usually be against Vic teams, wouldn't they?

Coobk001 could check the difference between games against Victorians and against others. If there's a Vic bias, it would show. I may be wrong, but I doubt that it will show a significant difference.

On the other hand, night games would usually be against Vic teams, wouldn't they?
Yeah could do that, could also do a check of our record in games away from home, just need the time to add them into the spreadsheet. Will see how I go on weekend.

Yeah could do that, could also do a check of our record in games away from home, just need the time to add them into the spreadsheet. Will see how I go on weekend.
Only issue with this is where the frees are paid eg cheap s**t frees in back pocket. If stats could be gathered frees resulting at shots on goal, that may correlate

Our players fall over while turning on a damp ground at night. Adelaide is dewy as FK and we still don't know how to play in it.

We do not know how to play on our own home ground at night. Good coaching and guidance there by our esteemed coaching division.
Can't handle any kind of pressure, whether it be from slightly adverse conditions, or the perception that the eyes of the greater football community are upon them (or daddy telling them everyone's watching). From the start, they play within themselves, and if any mistake is made, then heads drop. (I have no idea what the coaches are saying to them, and I'm sure it doesn't apply to all players, but it's enough to tip the balance.)

Our players fall over while turning on a damp ground at night. Adelaide is dewy as FK and we still don't know how to play in it.

Other questions:

• Are the players waking up too early/late on the day of matchnights?

• Are the players doing too much/too little on the day of matchnights?

• Do we have a number of players with a level of night blindness or other undiagnosed eyesight issues that are exacerbated by night game conditions (Danyle Pearce/Brad Ebert previously)?

• Is it now a problem on par with the 02-03 finals chokes, where players now carry a subliminal fear/expectation of adding yet another L to the pile when the sun goes down and the floodlights go on, (even moreso for big games such as Showdowns and finals)?

I think it's as simple as the fact that night games just 'feel' like a bigger event than day games. More pressure and expectation waiting all day for the big event under lights compared to just rocking up in the middle of the day and having a kick with your mates.

I think it's as simple as the fact that night games just 'feel' like a bigger event than day games. More pressure and expectation waiting all day for the big event under lights compared to just rocking up in the middle of the day and having a kick with your mates.
Would Koch spruik Hinkley as Port's most successful AFL coach if confronted with his anaemic record in high stakes games such as finals, Showdowns, and prime time night games?

Probably.

Night games are more likely to be on FTA, they also get more press as being one of the games to watch for the round. We know it’s more then ‘the Vibe’, that’s there’s a strong correlation with Port between expectations and under performance.

That’s loaded into my questioning, more or less.

Even for a stack of 20-somethings ostensibly at full health, there’d be discernible difference in mental performance waking up at 5-8am to play at 12:30-2pm versus waking up at 5-8am to play at 7-8pm.

Whether that’s direct fatigue over the course of the day, time for boredom, time for nerves, time to process your own mental demons and impending PTSD flashbacks.

Although at this point it feels like they could pop out of the fancy sleep pods in Alien just in time to hear Jarrod Walsh’s interminable yammering from the tunnel, and it wouldn’t move the needle.

At the conclusion of 2023 the following was our record at Adelaide Oval: (Not including the 2011 game against Melb)

We have not lost to a bottom 4 side at Adelaide Oval in the Ken era.

For Bottom 10 clashes at home:
  • In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures.
  • In Night games the figures drop to 70% - 19W, 8L.

Now step into the top 8 games:
  • In Night games we are 33%, An alarming 27% against 5-8 sides and surprisingly 39% against top 4, but also 33% in finals. So basically any home night game against quality opposition, or final, and we are at best a 1:3 chance.
  • Twilight makes a slight difference going 42% against top 8, with the top 4, 36%, and 5-8, 50%. Overall we go at 69% in twilight.
  • Day games are where we are at our best though. We are 100% against top 4, overall 50% against top 8, and we have gone 85% overall.

Realistically with a coach that has won 60% of his games, you'd expect that at our home ground surely that record is surely better than that, and it is overall at 62%. However, when you consider those night results of 50% overall, and when you consider that basically the majority of our wins come only from being consistently able to beat s**t teams. It's a pretty poor home record.

WL
Day Games
17​
3​
85.0%​
Finals
1​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 4
2​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Top 8
3​
3​
50.0%​
Vs 5-8
1​
3​
25.0%​
Vs Bottom 10
14​
0​
100.0%​
Vs Bottom 4
9​
0​
100.0%​
WL
Twilight Games
29​
13​
69%​
Finals
0​
0​
N/A
Vs Top 4
4​
7​
36%​
Vs Top 8
8​
11​
42%​
Vs 5-8
4​
4​
50%​
Vs Bottom 10
21​
2​
91%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​
WL
Night Games
30​
30​
50%​
Finals
2​
4​
33%​
Vs Top 4
7​
11​
39%​
Vs Top 8
11​
22​
33%​
Vs 5-8
4​
11​
27%​
Vs Bottom 10
19​
8​
70%​
Vs Bottom 4
8​
0​
100%​
RussellEbertHandball you can add to your thread.

Just took this stat a bit further:

For Bottom 10 clashes at home:
In day or twilight we rarely lose. We are 35 W, 2 L in those fixtures.

The only 2 we've lost were Crows in Away Showdowns.

So excluding Adelaide, we simply don't lose to bottom 10 sides at home, in day or twilight games. You can set your watch to it.
And this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do not know how to play on our own home ground at night. Good coaching and guidance there by our esteemed coaching division.

Do we actually train at night to prepare ? Be dumb if we didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The winning streak

I had a look at every club's record winning streak

Here's some context for our mighty 13 game winning streak - and why it is such a Hinkley era 'achievement':

Every club with a record winning streak in double figures made the grand final in the year of their streak except for Kenny's Port and the camry crows.
Most clubs that have a record winning streak of 11 or more games have won the premiership in the year of their streak. Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane and Richmond's streaks occurred over 2 seasons and obviously they won the flag in the first year of the streak. Collingwood, Brisbane and Richmond also won the flag in the second season of the streak - Geelong lost the grand final in the second year of their streak. Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn, Sydney are the others. Sydney have achieved their record twice, for a premiership in 1933, and a losing grand final in 2014.

St Kilda, West Coast and North Melbourne made the grand final in the year of their record winning streak. West Coast and North also won the flag in the year following their streak.

Adelaide's winning streak record is 10 and they only made the prelim that year (2005)

Bulldogs, Freo, GWS and Gold Coast have single figure winning streak records and didn't make a grand final in any of those years. GWS's record was last season - and it took some pretty friendly collingwood-fairy-tale umpiring to keep them out of the GF.

Club records
Geelong - 23 wins - 1952-53 - Flag 52, GF 53
Essendon - 20 wins - 2000 - Flag
Brisbane - 20 wins - 2001-02 - Flag x2
Collingwood - 20 wins - 1928-29 - Flag x2
Melbourne - 19 wins - 1955 - Flag
St Kilda - 19 wins - 2009 - GF
Carlton - 18 wins - 1995-96 - Flag 95
Richmond - 13 wins 2019-20 - Flag x2
Port Adelaide - 13 wins - 2023 - donuts
Sydney - 12 wins - 1933 - Flag
2014 - GF
Hawthorn - 12 wins - 1961 - Flag
2013 - Flag
West Coast - 12 wins - 1991 - GF
North Melbourne - 11 wins - 1998 GF
Adelaide - 10 wins - 2005 - Prelim

Bulldogs - 9 wins - 1946
Freo - 9 wins - 2015
GWS - 7 wins - 2023
Gold Coast - 5 wins - 2014

Pretty much every club with a significant record winning streak achieved that record as part of a serious push for a flag (with most clubs achieving that), except for Kenny 'finals-are-scary' Hinkley's Port Adelaide. The record was the achievement - job done - give the coach an extension. We are also the only club to go out in straight sets in the year of their record streak (although Footscray did lose their elimination final in 1948).

The winning streak actually highlights the failures of the club in this era - and nobody in any sort of leadership position gives a heck.

So what you’re telling me is we’d be okay if we made the Grand Final???

Hinkley will be eyeing off beating Bill Stephen and Bob Rose for most games coached without a premiership.
Rose has a 3 GF appearances while Bill luckily nabs a SF late in his career.

Kenny Average is atop with those who have only made a PF with 248 having clipped the Terry Wallets with 247. He should make a nice run to 270ish unless the boys make the Big Dance in September.

Since going into 2015 as premiership favourites we have won two finals in 9 years.
Only Gold Coast -0, Essendon -0 and St Kilda -1 have had less finals success.
North, Freo and Carlton are the only other teams with 2 wins over that time.
In that time, Freo have had one top 4 minor round finish, none of these other teams have had any.
Port have had 3 top 4 finishes.
Only one of the teams above have kept the same coach.

Only 5 coaches remain from 2015:

Chris Scott (2 premierships, 3 grand finals)
John Longmire (1 premiership, 4 grand finals)
Adam Simpson (1 premiership, 2 grand finals)
Luke Beveridge (1 premiership, 2 grand finals)
Ken Hinkley (donuts)

Only 5 coaches remain from 2015:

Chris Scott (2 premierships, 3 grand finals)
John Longmire (1 premiership, 4 grand finals)
Adam Simpson (1 premiership, 2 grand finals)
Luke Beveridge (1 premiership, 2 grand finals)
Ken Hinkley (donuts)

bE cArEfUL wHaT yOu WiSh FoR

Hinkley's lowest finish is 11th.

Opposition teams who have finished below 11th during Hinkley's reign - 17/17

Hinkley's highest finish is 3rd.

Opposition teams who have finished higher than 3rd during Hinkley's reign - 12/17

Basically every opposition team drops below him and rises above him. He is the definition of mediocre.

#AFL We demand an investigation into the replacement of referee Razor Ray Chamberlain and his departure at a difficult time in such an important match. We ask for an examination of the grassland that was not suitable for the Port Adelaide team, while opposition players seem to be wearing shoes that cling to the long grass, so we saw Port players fall during the game, while opposition players are steady.

Since going into 2015 as premiership favourites we have won two finals in 9 years.
Only Gold Coast -0, Essendon -0 and St Kilda -1 have had less finals success.
North, Freo and Carlton are the only other teams with 2 wins over that time.
In that time, Freo have had one top 4 minor round finish, none of these other teams have had any.
Port have had 3 top 4 finishes.

QF loss = EF win

I don’t think EF wins should enter in the calculations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back