The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said earlier, you're making the mistake of seeing Jackson as only a backup ruckman. Guys that can kick 40 goals a year and pinch hit in the ruck (Chol, Dixon for example) are worth their weight in gold in the afl. Given he's only 21, there's every chance Jackson will kick 40 a year in the future.
You know Chol can’t even get a game at Gold Coast, after struggling to get a game when he was at Richmond, right?

You know Chol can’t even get a game at Gold Coast, after struggling to get a game when he was at Richmond, right?
Don't know what has happened to Chol this year but he kicked 44 goals in 2022. Sounds like a pretty good season to me. My main point though is that Jackson has a lot more strings to his bow than just being a second ruckman. He even gets played in the middle (when Sean Darcy is rucking). He's more a genuine utility, who can ruck.

Lol at Comparing jackson and Chol.
Like comparing Judd to mark Hutchings
Yes bit of a talent gap there. As I said no one else has put anywhere near the investment into the spare ruck position that Fremantle has and Chol is an example of that. Old mate above has made a habit of self owning.

Yes bit of a talent gap there. As I said no one else has put anywhere near the investment into the spare ruck position that Fremantle has and Chol is an example of that. Old mate above has made a habit of self owning.

Melbourne invested pick 3 to select Jackson while Gawn was still around. It resulted in a flag a few years later. Owning the centre square has heightened importance with the 6/6/6 rule.

Though no other team has bothered, doesn’t mean it’s not a method to achieve ultimate success. There are many ways to the top.

Not all paths are the same. Up to the coaches to maximize the list and its point of difference.

No one else has put anywhere near the investment into the spare ruck position that Fremantle has.
Exactly. Very happy to have flipped Luke Jackson into 2 first rounders, and invested in spare forward Brodie Grundie instead (2xAA, thank you very much!)

If they trade Darcy does the trade become a good one in your opinion?

I think Darcy is a better ruck and Jackson will have cost more so no.
Then I dont understand then how you relegate Jackson to "2nd ruck" and basically include him in the same category as a bunch of other 2nd rucks. At 21, he's having massive impacts on games playing all over the ground (49 coaches votes already is actually crazy for a 21 year old KPP). Like, surely the the argument is only whether it was a bad investment because of Darcy, not on talent.

Then I dont understand then how you relegate Jackson to "2nd ruck" and basically include him in the same category as a bunch of other 2nd rucks. At 21, he's having massive impacts on games playing all over the ground (49 coaches votes already is actually crazy for a 21 year old KPP). Like, surely the the argument is only whether it was a bad investment because of Darcy, not on talent.
Yes it’s a bad investment because of Darcy, the whole world knew that was the case besides Bell. No one throws all their chips into multiple rucks because it’s a stupid idea. It cost you more than 2 first rounders and a second, it also cost you Logue and Blake Acres - who’s one of the best wingers in the country - because of the salary he’s commanding. Now you’re bottom 4.

You guys are having a laugh throwing his name up as an AA ruck, he’s not even the best ruck in his team let alone the country.

Doubtful he ever dominates in the ruck due to being slightly undersized and doubtful he ever has his name near the top of the Coleman leaderboard from what he’s shown so far.

Unless something drastically changes it’s a ridiculous trade.

Yes it’s a bad investment because of Darcy, the whole world knew that was the case besides Bell. No one throws all their chips into multiple rucks because it’s a stupid idea. It cost you more than 2 first rounders and a second, it also cost you Logue and Blake Acres - who’s one of the best wingers in the country - because of the salary he’s commanding. Now you’re bottom 4.

You guys are having a laugh throwing his name up as an AA ruck, he’s not even the best ruck in his team let alone the country.

Doubtful he ever dominates in the ruck due to being slightly undersized and doubtful he ever has his name near the top of the Coleman leaderboard from what he’s shown so far.

Unless something drastically changes it’s a ridiculous trade.
Logue is a handy player nothing else, he was offered a stupid amount of money from North and had absolutely nothing to do with Jackson. Would you want your club paying Logue more than 500k? The difference between what we offered and what Carlton offered Acres is not sufficient enough to tie to Jackson (any Carlton fan will tell you they got a steal in salary and picks). They didnt rate Acres which was dumb and I've said as much but to think they couldnt have found like 100k a year somewhere if they wanted to keep Acres is ridiculous.

Why does he need to be the best ruck in the game or the best KPF to justify how good he is. He can be very good at lots of things, you dont think that point of difference is valuable? You keep just calling him a ruck, anyone that watches him knows that's not the case. Blicavs got an AA being very good at everything and whether you think it's a laugh or not, Jackson one or two more good games from being at least AA squad. I dont know how you reconcile the fact he is already consistently impacting games more than any other KPP player his age (we could go by any number of criteria here) with downplaying what he's done.

Despite playing very well year 1 after a trade, you going very very early calling it ridiculous when he's got 10+ years ahead of him

Logue is a handy player nothing else, he was offered a stupid amount of money from North and had absolutely nothing to do with Jackson. Would you want your club paying Logue more than 500k? The difference between what we offered and what Carlton offered Acres is not sufficient enough to tie to Jackson (any Carlton fan will tell you they got a steal in salary and picks). They didnt rate Acres which was dumb and I've said as much but to think they couldnt have found like 100k a year somewhere if they wanted to keep Acres is ridiculous.

Why does he need to be the best ruck in the game or the best KPF to justify how good he is. He can be very good at lots of things, you dont think that point of difference is valuable? You keep just calling him a ruck, anyone that watches him knows that's not the case. Blicavs got an AA being very good at everything and whether you think it's a laugh or not, Jackson one or two more good games from being at least AA squad. I dont know how you reconcile the fact he is already consistently impacting games more than any other KPP player his age (we could go by any number of criteria here) with downplaying what he's done.

Despite playing very well year 1 after a trade, you going very very early calling it ridiculous when he's got 10+ years ahead of him
Anyway you dice it, a swap for Darcy is a bad trade if it eventuates. Especially now you’re going to cough up a top 5 pick and a decent 2nd for Jackson to go with pick 13 last year. Darcy won’t get you that kind of currency back.

There are rising star candidates playing key position roles at the moment who are impacting games as much as Jackson.

Anyway you dice it, a swap for Darcy is a bad trade if it eventuates. Especially now you’re going to cough up a top 5 pick and a decent 2nd for Jackson to go with pick 13 last year. Darcy won’t get you that kind of currency back.

There are rising star candidates playing key position roles at the moment who are impacting games as much as Jackson.

Who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson is surrounded by high end talent close to his age. Can’t believe he’s only 21 years old. All the talent close to his age will mature and become consistent over the next year or two and then we should remain contenders for a while.

I feel like a lot of posters are missing this point and call it early because of Freo's performance this year.
He's only 21. Freo made finals last year without him, on the back of some of their mids stepping up. He'll mature and compliment that core group of players for the better part of the next decade as they all hit their prime.

Mitchito Owens and Amiss are both impacting games as much as Jackson and they’re only 19
This take is well off the mark. Jackson won the rising star 2 years ago and he’s gone well past that level of performance already this year. If he has a big finish to the season he would be making the AA40 actually.
He’s 10 votes clear of Tim English in the coaches award

Mitchito Owens and Amiss are both impacting games as much as Jackson and they’re only 19

Does Amiss take the best defender if Jackson is at FF? Owens doesnt take the best anything, given he is a utility player.

How many ruckmen have shone by the age of 21? Gawn didnt show much til he was 23 or 24. Grundy was great early, but for every Grundy who comes out of the blocks hard and fast, there are 4 or 5 Gawns who take a while.

And only 1 in 20 even become Gawns or Grundys.

How many ruckmen have shone by the age of 21? Gawn didnt show much til he was 23 or 24.

Maybe the 2 knee reco's had something to do with it.

Regardless, his early off field contributions to the club were worth far more than anything he produced on the ground. Namely throwing up on Scullyin the middle of the night in China which lead to him leaving the club. Gawn deserves life membership just based on that fine effort.

This take is well off the mark. Jackson won the rising star 2 years ago and he’s gone well past that level of performance already this year. If he has a big finish to the season he would be making the AA40 actually.
He’s 10 votes clear of Tim English in the coaches award
Tim English has Brownlow favourites running around taking coaches votes off him. It’s not a very good metric to use for comparison, if you want a better reflection try using overall stats where English monsters Jackson in basically everything.

IMG_0516.jpeg

One of the reasons I was always more excited for the trade then a lot of other Freo supporters is that while I really like our list and we have a lot of terrific young players, none of them had that pure match-winning point of difference. Serong/Brayshaw/Darcy are great but not a Petracca, Curnow or Bont that can just take over games. No one on our list can come close to doing what he did on the weekend (apart from maybe Amiss in 5 years).

We paid a crazy price but for where our list was at, it will be a price worth paying

Last edited:
Does Amiss take the best defender if Jackson is at FF? Owens doesnt take the best anything, given he is a utility player.

How many ruckmen have shone by the age of 21? Gawn didnt show much til he was 23 or 24. Grundy was great early, but for every Grundy who comes out of the blocks hard and fast, there are 4 or 5 Gawns who take a while.

And only 1 in 20 even become Gawns or Grundys.

Ruckmen are weird players though. I wish we still had Lloyd meek on the list. Glad he is getting games for the hawks. But Reminds me of Jono Girffin. Not great but works hard to get his 20-25 ruck hitouts.

Ruckmen are weird players though. I wish we still had Lloyd meek on the list. Glad he is getting games for the hawks. But Reminds me of Jono Girffin. Not great but works hard to get his 20-25 ruck hitouts.

Problem with Meek is he cant take contested marks. He is good in the ruck, but goes missing the rest of the game. I'd say that is where all of the work is being done with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back