The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I'll be the first to admit Wacko Jacko has exceeded my expectations as an individual talent. His form early in the year was simply spectacular and showed every bit why he was valued as highly as he was by Melbourne and Freo. However, I can't help but feel the trade was still a massive balls up as things stand. The Darcy-Jackson combo allows for Darcy to do his thing but Jackson gets plonked down forward where he's far less impactful and severely limited in his ability to get around the ball where he does his best work. Jackson is arguably an All Australian level ruck when he's on his own, but he's nowhere near that when working in tandem with Darcy.

Do Freo look at trading Darcy to free up Jackson to be the number 1 man for them? Surely spending Darcy's contract on a Shai Bolton or Liam Baker type trade target would be better value for money?

the only reason this trade may flop is that Jackson has turned out better as a ruckman than expected.The dockers were stupid and signed Darcy to a long term deal.If they want to get the best out of Jackson they do need to offload Darcy but will they.

the only reason this trade may flop is that Jackson has turned out better as a ruckman than expected.The dockers were stupid and signed Darcy to a long term deal.If they want to get the best out of Jackson they do need to offload Darcy but will they.
Every side has a difficult conundrum that they have to work through.

Like we have, can Sheed and Gaff play in the same side keeping us up at night!

Every side has a difficult conundrum that they have to work through.

Like we have, can Sheed and Gaff play in the same side keeping us up at night!
it's funny how supporters can see things that coaches don't
The funny thing on the week end was that Darcy and Jackson had more hit outs than English and Lobb and Freo's midfield got smashed. English and Lobb kicked five goals and Jackson/Darcy only two goals
The other thing is that they have Reedy dominating the wafl and can't get a Afl game and Knobel is playing in the ressies for Peel and can't get a Wafl league game.
i think someone will be looking for a home at the end of the year as they have too many pure ruckmen.
wouldn't mind taking either Reedy or Knobel.

it's funny how supporters can see things that coaches don't
The funny thing on the week end was that Darcy and Jackson had more hit outs than English and Lobb and Freo's midfield got smashed. English and Lobb kicked five goals and Jackson/Darcy only two goals
The other thing is that they have Reedy dominating the wafl and can't get a Afl game and Knobel is playing in the ressies for Peel and can't get a Wafl league game.
i think someone will be looking for a home at the end of the year as they have too many pure ruckmen.
wouldn't mind taking either Reedy or Knobel.
I was actually at that game.

Darcy seemed to spend the entire afternoon tapping it straight down the throat of Doggies midfielders…

I was actually at that game.

Darcy seemed to spend the entire afternoon tapping it straight down the throat of Doggies midfielders…

I reckon that was more of an issue with his midfielders then it was an issue with Darcy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I'll be the first to admit Wacko Jacko has exceeded my expectations as an individual talent. His form early in the year was simply spectacular and showed every bit why he was valued as highly as he was by Melbourne and Freo. However, I can't help but feel the trade was still a massive balls up as things stand. The Darcy-Jackson combo allows for Darcy to do his thing but Jackson gets plonked down forward where he's far less impactful and severely limited in his ability to get around the ball where he does his best work. Jackson is arguably an All Australian level ruck when he's on his own, but he's nowhere near that when working in tandem with Darcy.

Do Freo look at trading Darcy to free up Jackson to be the number 1 man for them? Surely spending Darcy's contract on a Shai Bolton or Liam Baker type trade target would be better value for money?
I was gonna bump this thread after dockers belted the demons....

I was gonna bump this thread after dockers belted the demons....
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

The Pies dumping the bulk of Grundy’s deal enabled a good team to become great by funding several acquisitions in other positions.

I thought Darcy and Jackson could be the exception and really gel together, and although the two might play individually good football, it’s becoming clear Freo aren’t a better side when they’re both playing.

Dockers fans love Darcy but if they could trade him and possibly the entirety of his contract, and target good players around the ground with 3 first round picks to offer, they can seriously take this team from building to premiership favourites.

Stupid post right here.

So Darcy didnt sign the extension this season. but headed to Geelong in 2025. Luke Jackson does a knee and is out for a season. Awesome ruck stocks beyond those 2? lol

Thats like talking about the Crows tall forwards at the end of 2012. Crows made a prelim with Kurt Tippett and Taylor walker as KPFs.

Kurt Tippett leaves the crows and he heads to the swans. Crows struggle in the 1st half of 2013. Walker Does his knee and is out for 12 months and the crows crash out in 2013 and finish outside the top 8.

Stupid post right here.

So Darcy didnt sign the extension this season. but headed to Geelong in 2025. Luke Jackson does a knee and is out for a season. Awesome ruck stocks beyond those 2? lol

Thats like talking about the Crows tall forwards at the end of 2012. Crows made a prelim with Kurt Tippett and Taylor walker as KPFs.

Kurt Tippett leaves the crows and he heads to the swans. Crows struggle in the 1st half of 2013. Walker Does his knee and is out for 12 months and the crows crash out in 2013 and finish outside the top 8.
lloyd meek says hello.
Moving on Darcy will free some cash and you would think a good pick may help to get Bolton, 2xWarners, Baker or a Mcdonald.
I suspect either Reedy or Knobel will look for a trade if they are smart.i can see the Crows circling Knobel now

Stupid post right here.

List management decisions shouldn't revolve around 'well if he does a knee tomorrow'... Trade in some cheap cover like a Goldstein type that Essendon did and get rid of Darcy. Jackson is clearly the better ruck and player and is being wasted in this fantasy land tandem Freo's dreamed up.

What are Docker fans thinking re the trade atm? Jackson proved early in the year how exceptional he can be as a solo ruck but was ordinary at best up forward and when together splitting time between them in the ruck it feels like neither fulfil their full ability.

Trade Darcy? Stick with it another year?

Just feels to me the perfect time to sell Darcy at a high was last year when they brought Jackson in, now with continued fitness and injury issues his value would have definitely dropped a bit

What are Docker fans thinking re the trade atm? Jackson proved early in the year how exceptional he can be as a solo ruck but was ordinary at best up forward and when together splitting time between them in the ruck it feels like neither fulfil their full ability.

Just feels to me the perfect time to sell Darcy at a high was last year when they brought Jackson in, now with continued fitness and injury issues his value would have definitely dropped a bit

He wasnt that good as a solo ruck

I'd stick with both.

But not sure we found the best role for Jackson yet. As sole ruck or mainly as forward he doesn't always set the world on fire. He has a unique combination of being tall and pretty mobile. Should use him with more flexibilty to create mismatches somewhere.

Jackson can take over games when he's solo rucking, still think that's his best position. The issue being he isn't that good at actial ruckwork (or at least hitouts). But he's so good around the ground and on the ground at clearances I don't think that matters too much. As a fwd he's decent enough but does feel wasted

Darcy can dominate clearances when he's fit. Unfortunately for Freo the evidence is that's only ever going to be a handful of times a year.

The real issue for Freo is they would really have to buck a very long term trend to win a flag while paying not 1 but 2 ruckman a huge slice of their salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back