The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

He gets his hands to the footy a lot up forward, just doesn’t quite clunk them. Treacy was the same last year and became a very strong mark over the off season.

If Jackson can do the same, we will be very potent.

He also does a great job stopping opposition players from out marking us.

He’s no first ruck, the big boys tire him out, far more effective in bursts.

Jackson can take over games when he's solo rucking, still think that's his best position. The issue being he isn't that good at actial ruckwork (or at least hitouts). But he's so good around the ground and on the ground at clearances I don't think that matters too much. As a fwd he's decent enough but does feel wasted

Darcy can dominate clearances when he's fit. Unfortunately for Freo the evidence is that's only ever going to be a handful of times a year.

The real issue for Freo is they would really have to buck a very long term trend to win a flag while paying not 1 but 2 ruckman a huge slice of their salary cap.
The evidence is that Jackson is a ****ing useless solo ruck when he has to do it more than three times a year. There’s a reason why our W/L record this year was much better with Darcy in the team.

Dees lost the trade.

Jefferson, Windsor and Tholstrup for Jackson is a net loss.

I think Windsor will become a good player, but not a great player (still question marks over his disposals for mine) and the jury is still out on Tholstrup (issues regarding his speed).

Jefferson won't make it.

What are Docker fans thinking re the trade atm? Jackson proved early in the year how exceptional he can be as a solo ruck but was ordinary at best up forward and when together splitting time between them in the ruck it feels like neither fulfil their full ability.

Trade Darcy? Stick with it another year?

Just feels to me the perfect time to sell Darcy at a high was last year when they brought Jackson in, now with continued fitness and injury issues his value would have definitely dropped a bit
Jackson proved this season that he's not good enough and doesn't have what it takes to be the number one ruck, doesn't have it in him. Regularly gets his arse kicked.

Darcy is crucial to the structure, Jackson can't do it on his own.

Not directly related to the trade but a question for Freo fans. If Jackson hadn’t arrived do you reckon Lloyd Meek would’ve left? Or was it already on the cards?

Didn’t know what we’d get with Meeky but has rapidly become one of our most important players at the Hawks, especially with the change in the ruck rule this year - suits him to a tee.

Not directly related to the trade but a question for Freo fans. If Jackson hadn’t arrived do you reckon Lloyd Meek would’ve left? Or was it already on the cards?

Didn’t know what we’d get with Meeky but has rapidly become one of our most important players at the Hawks, especially with the change in the ruck rule this year - suits him to a tee.
Already on the cards.

He was behind Darcy, not Jackson.

We all love Meeky, left with grace, would have stayed if there was a spot.

Luke Jackson is not a full time Ruck.

Anyone that still thinks he’s a genuine number one ruck option doesn’t watch footy.
He’s too small and too light. Just 199 cm, there is key forward and defenders much bigger than that nowadays. Gets brutalised by several of the big beasts around the league including Nank, Briggs, even Meek as a pure ruck would have it over Jacko.

He’s a Mark Bliclavs type. A ruck pinch hitter, a decent key forward, an onballer.

Sean Darcy’s status at the football club has nothing to do with Luke Jackson.

Luke Jackson is not a full time Ruck.

Anyone that still thinks he’s a genuine number one ruck option doesn’t watch footy.
He’s too small and too light. Just 199 cm, there is key forward and defenders much bigger than that nowadays. Gets brutalised by several of the big beasts around the league including Nank, Briggs, even Meek as a pure ruck would have it over Jacko.

He’s a Mark Bliclavs type. A ruck pinch hitter, a decent key forward, an onballer.

Sean Darcy’s status at the football club has nothing to do with Luke Jackson.
You blokes were told this before he was traded to you.

Why does it take him to be in purple for you to realise it ?

He's also 22 years old, there's no way to predict where someone's career will go at such a young age.

Hey I rate him

And not many 22 year olds aren't going to get pushed around against mature ruckman.

I think he's more than just a backup ruck/3rd string fwd and I'm guessing your club does too because it's crazy to pay what they did (trade and salary wise) for someone to play that role imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back