Expansion The massive problem facing QLD AFL teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you actually read my post?
My evidence is what I saw on tv, it wasn't someone it was me. One side was easily less than a third full and the broadcast side was easily less than half full. That would work out to a crowd well under 10k, and that's being generous. You said yourself that for 13k the upper levels are closed on the outer side and the rest less than half full. That would make it impossible to get 13k even if the broadcast side was 50% full. Do the maths.
You make absolutely no sense at all.

luke-hodge-brisbane-lions.jpg
Looks like a good bloke.

Irrelevant because most people living there don't care about AFL, especially western Sydney. It's the height of arrogance assuming people will start loving it because you put it there.

So you haven't seen the growth of Australian Rules football in western Sydney? Where there was once league posts there is now Aussie rules posts. In the Sydney AFL there is also clubs who had a few teams that are now thriving with players.

Irrelevant because most people living there don't care about AFL, especially western Sydney. It's the height of arrogance assuming people will start loving it because you put it there.
A lot of people actually do follow the AFL on the Gold Coast. Big chunk of the population are people who migrate from Vic, SA and Tassie, however most adults don't follow the Suns as people just don't change allegiances when they move cities. However there are a lot of families in the outer suburbs of the Goldy, the kids are the ones that will grow up following the Suns. Been to plenty of neutral games at Carrara (and used to live on the Goldy), most of their actual fans are kids. Plus GC is a fast growing area with shocking traffic. Suns will be fine long term.

Beams, Charlie Cameron, Christensen, Robinson, Bell - just a couple of players who chose Brisbane as the club they wanted to play for. Nobody wants to watch it? When they were up the top of the ladder in the early 2000s, the place was rocking and pretty much sold out every home game. Results help the game grow and crowds, so when the Suns and Lions begin to become top 8 sides, the crowds will flock in
Fits the behavioural issues model with his drink-driving, I guess.

Seriously though, they could try someone that's not years beyond their prime.
We got Brent Moloney as a free agent in 2012/13 off-season as well. Honestly getting rid of the draft as long as the salary cap stays and is properly enforced would be hugely beneficial to all the "Northern" clubs as we'd have players who actually want to play for us in the first place, such as Beams, Cameron, Bell, Moloney etc. and not waste our time with guys like Docherty, Aish, Polec etc. More locals, more pride in the jumper.

We also got over 31k turn up to our first home game in 2015, with remaining tickets being over $60. Admittedly we were playing our biggest rival, it was round 1 and the official return of our real jumper, but it was also off a pre-emptive bandwagon from recruiting Dayne Beams in the off-season. When we have something to actually bandwagon off the Gabba will be a near sell-out every game.

An example of this is the Lions on average would bring roughly 3000 fans to away games against the Suns at Carrara, however we bought down more than 10000 fans down to the Goldy when our women's team made the AFLW Grand Final and had to play there, a lot also left after the women's grand final and didn't bother with the men's game later that day.

Tl;dr: Still lot of AFL fans in SEQ, majority are bandwagoners or people who move from interstate. Both Lions and Suns crowds would rise dramatically if there was an actual bandwagon to jump on.

No
I don' need to. Prove to me the moon is made of green cheese and maybe I'll concede there's something to your conspiracy theory.
Lol what?
You said the upper levels on the outer side are closed and the lower levels less than half full (I'd put it at one third). And the TV coverage shows the broadcast side is also less than half full, but somehow the stadium is magically over half full at 13k. It's a fabrication. It doesn't add up.

Precisely. You're 'free' public transport gets added on to your seat/membersip prices. Yet the author of this article is claiming it's an unfair burden for Queensland clubs. The author instead should be looking at why they can't add it onto their prices and why people aren't willing to pay their fare share to attend games.
I wish I could pay $10 for a special Adelaide Metro bus but get a good footy seat for $40 like it was in Adelaide Oval's early days. They realised how popular the ground is, and started gouging accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what?
You said the upper levels on the outer side are closed and the lower levels less than half full (I'd put it at one third). And the TV coverage shows the broadcast side is also less than half full, but somehow the stadium is magically over half full at 13k. It's a fabrication. It doesn't add up.
The troubling part for me is I don't actually think you're trolling. You actually believe you make sense.

And without them the Kangas would be on the GC anyway
What exactly would’ve it achieved by shifting NM to the Gold Coast? This is the biggest load of nonsensical discussion that has existed on this forum.

1. You isolate the supporter base in Melbourne.
2. You risk supporters dropping away.
3. You force the majority supporters (Melbourne based) to travel to QLD to watch them play as well as trying to convert QLD citizens to get on board.
4. You spend excess funds on ‘developing’ them in QLD.
5. If NM are struggling (which they aren’t), why not just give them finance rather than blowing the budget relocating them?.

You’ve got to remember, this century, NM have been more successful than Carlton, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, and prior to last year, Richmond. That’s better than 3 ‘big 4’ teams up until 2016 and still arguably better than 2 currently.

Melbourne and St Kilda are far worse teams to support than what North have been. North are one or two gun players away from top 8 again, and maybe even more.

I’ve never understood the knock on North Melbourne. They responded exactly the way you want a team to do against Carlton after we rolled them in round 3. They’ll also give Hawthorn a better contest than what we did.

Yes, I remember seeing highly dubious crowd figures which indicated the stadium over 1/2 full yet you could see on the tv coverage the ground was very easily well less than half full. People on here would say the crowd was out getting food or taking a piss. Well they must have some pretty humungeous toilets there. The crowd figures are bs.
I would trust even dodgy crowd figures rather than bf guesses based on tv shots of a third of the ground.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Long term Queensland AFL will be fine.

In the female game Queensland will overtake both SA and WA very shortly. That's where the future is. Gets the girls and the boys will follow.

In the short time, first round picks should have a minimum contract of 3 years. That would allow more hand in trading out kids who want to go back home.

Medium term more draftees need to come from QLD. That will help with player retention.

Home average for GWS last year was only 23k.

This is a team has been given every advantage by the AFL including being heavily promoted, a truckload of money and also draft concessions to get gun players. This was in a year in which many predicted them to win the flag along with an apparent population of 2.1 million that is all theirs.

All this and an average attendance of 23k is embarrassing. Imagine when they are doing poorly on the field :$:eek::$

EDIT: Actually I stuffed it up, it's only 13k :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Your not comparing apples to apples. North are in their 90s as a football club GWS and GC haven’t even turn 10 yet. It will take two or three generations before we can get the support like a Victorian club. To be honest the most conservative way of thinking is to stay as you are and not try and push new boundaries. Vlad challenged the norm and you Victorians continue to think that the national competition is still the VFL and don’t like it when the state teams do something that doesn’t fit their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not comparing apples to apples. North are in their 90s as a football club GWS and GC haven’t even turn 10 yet. It will take two or three generations before we can get the support like a Victorian club. To be honest the most conservative way of thinking is to stay as you are and not try and push new boundaries. Vlad challenged the norm and you Victorians continue to think that the national competition is still the VFL and don’t like it when the state teams do something that doesn’t fit their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) North will become a 150 year old club next year. One of a very few football clubs in the world that can make this claim.
2) The Gold Coast Suns exist to make money and expand football.
3) North Melbourne is a self created and self governing entity.

Wouldn't be a lot worse. These are the average viewers per game across the capital cities with teams.

Melbourne average 277000 veiwers per game
Adelaide 115000 per game
Perth 96000 per game
Sydney 32000 per game
Brisbane 23000 per game
That's actually not even bad. That makes AFL more watched weekly in Sydney then the A League is in the entire country.

That's actually not even bad. That makes AFL more watched weekly in Sydney then the A League is in the entire country.
The a league has 112000 average viewers nation wide

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion The massive problem facing QLD AFL teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back