Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

USA, Germany and an African team TBC in the Olympics. Oof.

USA and Germany aren't near the best at the moment, but both will go in fav against us surely. Given the hype around the Matildas I feel like there is an expectation of a medal. But realistically we are probably the 7th best team of the 12 which is where we are seeded.

Good second half by the Matildas creating lots of chances, maybe some fatigue errors near the end showed up some vulnerabilities that Mexico couldn't exploit.

In the first half I thought the Matildas were able to pass it around and found themselves in space in the midfield but the next pass always seemed to go backwards and then sideways again which lead to a lack of penetration into dangerous positions inside the penalty box.

For the 90 minutes I liked Carpenter who ran all game won some ball and was always on the attack; Kennedy made some telling passes and was strong with defensive headers, and Foord was just too good for her opponent when she was out on the left until Mexico made a change after she scored a classy goal.

Maybe could have subbed Van Egmond for Sayer for the last 15 minutes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad for the games vs China 31/5 at Adelaide Oval and 3/6 at Sydney Olympic Stadium.

Clare Hunt named. Not sure if she's had any game time recently but have seen her listed as a sub for a couple of recent PSG Games. Gorry still out with injury. 4 GK's. Freier and Heatley the most recent additions along with Torpey all stay in the squad.

Before that, some of the Matildas (Catley, Cooney-Cross, Foord) should be playing for Arsenal vs an A-League Women all-stars match on Friday (Whyman, Williams, Yallop, Vine & Heyman will be in the All-Stars team alongside not selected Chidiac and Simon), while Carpenter will be playing in the EUFA Final for Lyon vs Barcelona on Sunday.

Screenshot_21-5-2024_201634_x.com.jpeg

Last edited:
Hope Monday is a better game. No-one that started that isn't a regular put their hand up for those last 3-4 spots in the squad for the Olympics. The further it went before the substitutions the more the deficiencies of those peripheral players showed up - but I guess they're not used to playing with each other when there's so many changes.

Hope Monday is a better game. No-one that started that isn't a regular put their hand up for those last 3-4 spots in the squad for the Olympics. The further it went before the substitutions the more the deficiencies of those peripheral players showed up - but I guess they're not used to playing with each other when there's so many changes.

This is the bit I don't understand. He did this in Perth last year as well. Throw together players who have never played before and then be disappointed in the result.

When the likes of Torpey, Wheeler and Grant have played alongside the regulars, they lift their game and play better. Why not integrate them in a structured manner?

This is the bit I don't understand. He did this in Perth last year as well. Throw together players who have never played before and then be disappointed in the result.

When the likes of Torpey, Wheeler and Grant have played alongside the regulars, they lift their game and play better. Why not integrate them in a structured manner?
He did it in one of his first games v Spain . Bunch of kids never played together, a back 5 that I’m sure most of those kids had never played before in a match , and we were thrashed . I think he already knows who he is taking to Paris , just a final look for the hell of it . I think he will put a best X1 available to start in the match on Monday .

Remove this Banner Ad

Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back