Universal Love The McClelland Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you needed that extra incentive to watch our W team play, if our high flying girls win 1 more game than the Lions over the last 3 games of the season - the club will be awarded with the lucrative McClelland Trophy for the best combined men’s and women’s program.

The prize? A cool $1 million.

N.B - Yes, I know Lions won the flag - but thankfully for us it’s just for regular season.

It's disappointing that we don't get to play Brisbane at all this year as it would of been a great contest and a chance to essentially play for the trophy.

Also from a personal point of view I would of been happy if the game was played up here as it would of been a great chance to take my daughter to the game. I only live about 5-10 minutes drive from their home ground in Springfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all of those querying how the money is split. From wikipedia...

"with the winning club also being awarded $1 million prizemoney: $500,000 goes to the winning club, with $250,000 being split among that club's AFL players ($6250 per player), and $250,000 being split among that club's AFLW players ($8333 per player)."

Half to the club.
1/4 to the mens.
1/4 to the womens.

Nice little bonus.
if the boys arent overseas at the moment they should be trying to be at the next two games to cheer the girls on.
They'll still come out in front financially if they have to travel to cairns this week.

The girls are travelling amazingly well at the moment, if your not watching them as a fan, your missing out on good hawthorn football.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does that $1 million figure seem low. Feels like it hasn’t changed for about 20 years despite increases in salary cap, tv deal, etc. Certainly not complaining, great results for the club!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For all of those querying how the money is split. From wikipedia...

"with the winning club also being awarded $1 million prizemoney: $500,000 goes to the winning club, with $250,000 being split among that club's AFL players ($6250 per player), and $250,000 being split among that club's AFLW players ($8333 per player)."

Half to the club.
1/4 to the mens.
1/4 to the womens.

Nice little bonus.
if the boys arent overseas at the moment they should be trying to be at the next two games to cheer the girls on.
They'll still come out in front financially if they have to travel to cairns this week.

The girls are travelling amazingly well at the moment, if your not watching them as a fan, your missing out on good hawthorn football.
Wouldn't surprise me if the men pass the player payments to the AFLW players, given the difference in renumeration, and in the spirit of club building.

Pretty sure it was $0 up till 2-3 years ago.
Correct, it was actually last year that things changed along with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

It's a fantastic move as it's given supporters another reason to follow what happens in the AFLW and hopefully convert some of that interest into more bums on seats or at the very least more TV viewership. Great way to grow the game. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love The McClelland Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back