Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see the article but this is my expectation too, on our trajectory under Ross we would have played finals this season, why should that change for the new coach?

Longy uses a defensive gameplan and Ross has set the foundation, we had the least points scored against us in the Marsh series so have shown that our team may not take too long to adapt.

My biggest worry is our injury list but if we can somehow overcome that then we need to be pushing for finals. Tucker is 5th year, Bray and Cez 3rd, Cox and Logue can shine this season. The growth needs to be shown this season.

We were on a trajectory to play finals this year under Ross?

I definitely disagree with that one. You can already see the way the team is playing this year that the players had checked out a bit from Ross's gameplan.

There's a bit of catch up this year after what has happened in the last few years even before you factor in injuries.

Last edited:
We were on a trajectory to play finals.this year under Ross?

I definitely disagree with that one. You can already see the way the team is playing thisbyear that the players had checked out a bit from Ross's gameplan.

There's a bit of catch up this year after what has happened in the last few years even before you factor in injuries.
Yeah agreed. I think it's clearer to say we had a plan to play finals under Ross, and when that plan didn't look achievable, he was moved on.

Our trajectory changes with each injury, player movement and player development

For what it's worth, the bookies have us pegged for 2nd last. They have Hawks, Melb, Ess and Port fighting it out for 8th. We play 3 of them in the first 3 weeks. Let's see how our injury ravaged side goes, but at full strength I don't think those sides are any better than us. If we miss finals, it will be almost entirely due to S&C.

I definitely disagree with that one. You can already see the way the team is playing this year that the players had checked out a bit from Ross's gameplan.

We were top 6 half way through last season and fell of a cliff with injuries to key personnel, I was expecting finals last season mid way through and I was sure as hell expecting finals this year after last season.

If Ross was kept on as coach we would play finals this season, I set the same expectations for Longy, my main concern is our injuries as they could derail our season again but if we can get a hold of them then I expect finals.

We were top 6 half way through last season and fell of a cliff with injuries to key personnel, I was expecting finals last season mid way through and I was sure as hell expecting finals this year after last season.

If Ross was kept on as coach we would play finals this season, I set the same expectations for Longy, my main concern is our injuries as they could derail our season again but if we can get a hold of them then I expect finals.

I just simply disagree that if we'd kept Ross that we'd be playing finals this year.

Players are already playing with more freedom and backing themselves more.

JLo asks them to play a role that plays to the players strengths. Ross asks them to do it his way or the highway.

Ross is our greatest ever coach but the last few years was taking us nowhere.

I thought Neesham (for all his faults) was our best coach. I actually drove up from Mandurah every second weekend to watch that team.
Yep, Would of loved him to go to Victoria first then come back with more knowledge. I remember reading that Sheeds used his patterns
to move the ball forward, etc, and kind of makes sense with that 2000 team.
But you have to feel sorry for all of Alexander, Judge, and Neesham, especially us Old Easts supporters.

Under Ross we were certainly on a trajectory to play finals, 9 wins with the injuries we had was a pretty fair effort and probably had we not had so many would have made it last year. I'm not saying Jl won't be a good coach but you can't just dismiss Rossy like that, he is a very good coach who got everything out of what was left of the list last year.

Under Ross we were certainly on a trajectory to play finals, 9 wins with the injuries we had was a pretty fair effort and probably had we not had so many would have made it last year. I'm not saying Jl won't be a good coach but you can't just dismiss Rossy like that, he is a very good coach who got everything out of what was left of the list last year.

Ross knows how to eek all he can out of a team so no argument there. He pushes things until they break though so I still dispute whether he had the will of the players to do what he wanted them to do to the extent that he needed.

If he didnt have that then it's certainly debatable whether we would have played finals this year.

Fyfey has made comments about a more free and attacking way of playing and playing to your strengths have been mentioned by a few players. The proof will be with the development and style that our players have over the next year or two and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Derby thrashing, with us kicking so many points was a coach on limited time. Club or Ross wouldn't fix the
Off field issues, and how many times can you limp over the line?
Won't be JL on his own, team effort allround, and at least Lecras was contacted regarding goal kicking.
Hopefully S&C will be looked at for 2021, But it appears we are moving in the right direction and with more
openness.
I think history will prove that with an experienced team he could get results but rebuilding?

And I expect us to under JLo as well but the idea that Ross had us ticking over beautifully towards the finals is a fallacy.
Well, the real truth will be forever (conveniently)hidden behind a hazy veil of injuries, so we will never know for sure. Thought we looked more like a trusty old tractor than a purring BMW

Fyfey has made comments about a more free and attacking way of playing and playing to your strengths have been mentioned by a few players. The proof will be with the development and style that our players have over the next year or two and beyond.
Fyfe has been making those comments for the past 3 years though.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 6.25.42 pm.png

So are you just confirming Ross couldn't get it done?
I am saying Ross was doing it last year then he got injuries and it caused us to miss the finals, this year under Ross we would have made them.

We have been tracking upwards now since 2017

JL should have a side that is tracking towards finals this year

Well, the real truth will be forever (conveniently)hidden behind a hazy veil of injuries, so we will never know for sure. Thought we looked more like a trusty old tractor than a purring BMW

It's one practice game but the cohesion of the team against an almost full strength Eagles was very promising to me.

JLo will need to make the best with what he's got. If anything it might be a "fairer" comparison given we won't have anywhere near our best 22 available.

I am saying Ross was doing it last year then he got injuries and it caused us to miss the finals, this year under Ross we would have made them.

We have been tracking upwards now since 2017

JL should have a side that is tracking towards finals this year

There's no way that I'd be that certain that Ross would have got us there and the club was willing to take a $1 mil+ loss and get rid of its CEO and coach.

That's a very very clear indication what those inside the club though about your views on us making the finals.

I'm on board with Jlo, the team and the off field stuff seems refreshed but barring that derby fiasco, people are underrating the fairly significant onfield progress made in 2019 imo. Rebuilds are rarely linear but we got younger again and improved our percentage from 76 to 92 while picking up an extra win with our wins coming against better opposition than years previous.
it's naive to say Ross was sacked purely because they didn't believe he could have made finals in 2020, people on here should be aware as much as anyone that through his persona and style, Ross carried a lot of baggage that clearly we didn't want to deal with anymore.

Happy with the preseason form given our injuries and was good to beat the vaunted Eagles who in reality can look really sloppy going forward for all the talk about them.
We are moving the ball better (retaining it better at the least). To me it looks like JLo has the players taking what's available to them rather than playing to the script which was making us too predictable and weary.
Hopefully we can get some luck on the injury front in 2020 specifically to our talls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back