The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummm Duff got a bad injury and was ruled out for the season, he only signed a one year deal and was always going back to Ireland to finish his career.
I accept that, but it would have been nice to see him extend his stay, it's not unheard of.

I'm disapointed he appeared to criticise the competition as being played in summer. Not very classy.

I accept that, but it would have been nice to see him extend his stay, it's not unheard of.

I'm disapointed he appeared to criticise the competition as being played in summer. Not very classy.

He only wanted to play one more season and he wanted that season to be in Ireland. Can't fault the club with that at all.
Players who are used to playing in the winter will do that, we chose to be a summer comp so it wasn't being smashed by the AFL and NRL.

I was hoping for a cultural shift with the transformation from Heart to City but it just hasn't happened. Obviously it's still early days but it's disappointing that even small signs of change haven't really been seen. We have a soft underbelly can still snatch defeat/draw from the jaws of victory like no other team in the A-League. Very doubtful we'll play finals now with Brisbane having two games in hand. In saying that, there has been positives this season. The individual seasons of Mooy, Melling, Safuwan, Kisnorbo, Garruccio and Chapman (until last night) have either been promising, good, or exceptional depending on the player. We need to see the back of players next season though. Wouldn't be against seeing all of Ramsey, Dugandzic, Wielart, Germano, Redmayne and even Hoffman leave the club before the start of next season.

I think it's safe to say we'll have a massive clean out come the end of the season. I could only really see 5 or 6 players staying.
Hopefully Mooy, Paartalu, Melling, Kennedy, Velaphi, Chapman and Baharudin

If guys like Redmayne and Hoffman are with City next season, I would have to rethink whether I really need to waste my time waiting for success that they clearly don't want.

Clean the club out and start fresh.

Its a long process we just have to be patient, whether JVS is the man to take us forward is anyones guess.
No doubt there will be a cleanout at seasons end with the crud all gotten rid of

Koren has played out of position all season... False 9 or out on the left wing. He has to play there to accommodate Mooy

You've got no clue what you're talking about. Duff always planned to come here for a year before finishing his career in Ireland.

The guy was just commenting how tough the conditions are here to play in and how as an Irishman he was used to the cold and the rain. No idea how you've managed to take offense.

Koren has played out of position all season... False 9 or out on the left wing. He has to play there to accommodate Mooy

I think CFG needs to look at whether he is the right person for the club then. Presumably (hopefully) Mooy will still be around next season so do you carry an underperforming marquee player for another year (whether it's entirely his fault or not)?

If he's not 100% yet or having trouble settling in, then lets see an improvement next season. But if he's just the wrong fit for the club atm then I think CFG need to find a way to move him on and get a more suitable replacement.

On the culture thing, hate to hark back to MCFC but we went through the same thing.

After the takeover we made some good signings, but still had a lot of dross and still had the same "typical city" moments.

In our first season we all expected great things, but finished a position lower in the league.

Was frustrating knowing that our time would come, but it just wasnt happening on the pitch. Our rivals were loving it, certain people in the media were loving it and we just had to sit back and take the criticism, and the "i told you so's" and the pisstaking.

It wasnt really until Mancini took over that we developed a proper winning mentality and even that takes a knock on a fairly regular basis.

I don't mean that as a "need to change the manager to change the mentality" post, more a "be patient and one day you'll look back on the current situation with a smile" post.

On JVS I do think he'll struggle to convince CFG that he is the right person to push the club forward. They do like to give their managers an opportunity but they don't piss about once they see signs it's not going to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think CFG needs to look at whether he is the right person for the club then. Presumably (hopefully) Mooy will still be around next season so do you carry an underperforming marquee player for another year (whether it's entirely his fault or not)?

If he's not 100% yet or having trouble settling in, then lets see an improvement next season. But if he's just the wrong fit for the club atm then I think CFG need to find a way to move him on and get a more suitable replacement.
Agreed 100% but if Mooy ends up leaving Koren can slot into that position. If not they need to decide whether he is the right player to have as a marquee.

Agreed 100% but if Mooy ends up leaving Koren can slot into that position. If not they need to decide whether he is the right player to have as a marquee.
I would do everything to keep Mooy, Melling, Safuwan, Chapman, Garuccio.
Koren has seen better days, ditto Kennedy.
Most importantly, try and get Nathan Burns.

Will be interesting to see how Koren goes with Mooy missing on international duty. Big chance to prove he belongs.
No Mooy, no Chapman, more changes, yet the majority are calling for the coach's head.
Aloisi had no luck with injuries, got his marching orders.
JvS has shown he can get results but consistency is difficult if the squad changes each and every week.

Wielart probably gets a gig at centre-half. Koren to play the CM role. Should we play Murdocca? I was thinking play someone Germano (if he's fit). Maybe give Mauk or Retre a full game to prove themselves. Ends up as something like:

Velaphi
Jaliens - Wielart - Kisnorbo - Baharudin
Koren - Paartalu - Retre
Williams - Kennedy - Novillo​

Wielart probably gets a gig at centre-half. Koren to play the CM role. Should we play Murdocca? I was thinking play someone Germano (if he's fit). Maybe give Mauk or Retre a full game to prove themselves. Ends up as something like:

Velaphi
Jaliens - Wielart - Kisnorbo - Baharudin
Koren - Paartalu - Retre
Williams - Kennedy - Novillo​
Isn't Wielaert out LT? That's why we have Jaliens?
What about Clisby?

Isn't Wielaert out LT? That's why we have Jaliens?
What about Clisby?
Somehow I forgot about that. Shift Baharudin into the middle and play Clisby on the left.

You've got no clue what you're talking about. Duff always planned to come here for a year before finishing his career in Ireland.

The guy was just commenting how tough the conditions are here to play in and how as an Irishman he was used to the cold and the rain. No idea how you've managed to take offense.
I wasn't offended at all. Disappointed, but not offended.

It's called a season ending operation on a 36 yo player who signed for 1 year.

Your highlighted are simply ignorant comments.
I was honestly unaware the contract was only 1 year and that he had expressly indicated he wouldn't extend it under any circumstances. It's my mistake.

I disagree on my "ignorance", Villa was clearly very eager to leave and not fulfill to commitment that gave us a large amount of our off field interest and growth, and caused embarrassment to us as a club, whether you admit it or not. Why did he get here, play 3 games and go when the MLS season didn't start for another 6 months? I don't buy the "promotion and settling in his family" line at all.

The club, even after the buyout, has a culture problem. I have been here since day 1, and it's obvious.

I was honestly unaware the contract was only 1 year and that he had expressly indicated he wouldn't extend it under any circumstances. It's my mistake.

I disagree on my "ignorance", Villa was clearly very eager to leave and not fulfill to commitment that gave us a large amount of our off field interest and growth, and caused embarrassment to us as a club, whether you admit it or not. Why did he get here, play 3 games and go when the MLS season didn't start for another 6 months? I don't buy the "promotion and settling in his family" line at all.

The club, even after the buyout, has a culture problem. I have been here since day 1, and it's obvious.
It's going to take time. Did you expect an immediate rise to top 4 with the injury interrupted year we've had?
Ignorance is not an insult to you- merely stating you had no knowledge of Duff's intent. And on that note, no knowledge of the truth behind Villa, so no need to make assertions about his motivation and the club's. It easily may not be what it SEEMED to you.

Strange game.
A 4-0 win should be exhilarating, but it was almost lack-lustre, such was the poor quality of Newcastle. They are very dispirited. Nevertheless we need all the 3 points we can get.
Harry has skills, but will have to quickly learn the Aussie way of dealing with kicks and knocks- he goes down very easily.
Really love Jaliens- clever and now in his right position.
Now to get used to time without Mooy and Chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back