wian

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
Gday

I Know its only NAB Cup, but geez that was a great feeling to finally win a Prelim / Semi Final and get into the G.F! Its the first GF for me in my Lifetime, so its a bit of a special feeling actually !:p

I really feel the Monkey is finally off our back, and i have a real sense that this win was a big one especially Mentally ! Just to shake that loser mentality and the "You will never make a GF Hoodoo that so many Carlton, Collingwood and especially Essendon supporters have rubbed into me over the years" and to actually get ourselves into a grand Final was sooo bloody important for our club:thumbsu:

It also pisses me off over the years all the Dogs supporters, even in my own family that have the mentality that "We will never make a Grand Final gives me the S**T's to be honest

Enjoy the Lead Up this week guys ! :):D

I know i will !;)

cheers

Wian

You're not the bloke who makes up the headlines at the Herald Sun are you?

Monkey off our back, surely you jest?

If you don't think that there has been a Monkey on this Clubs Back regarding making a G.F, you are living on another planet mate.

Coon Dog, I swear if you were sucking on a lemon, the Lemon would pull the Sour Face sometimes!

Just bloody enjoy it , and more to the point, let other people enjoy it will you, instead of making yr cutting remarks , for God Sakes !:confused:

You're not the bloke who makes up the headlines at the Herald Sun are you?

Monkey off our back, surely you jest?

I have always felt that we probably have to make a pre-season GF to make a real GF. Not sure why I have felt that way, but I would agree that part of the monkey is off our back.

Huh?

The monkey is firmly on our back, and it will take more than a pre-season GF berth to pry it's vice like grip.

Let's hope the players don't think the same way.

If you don't think that there has been a Monkey on this Clubs Back regarding making a G.F, you are living on another planet mate.

Coon Dog, I swear if you were sucking on a lemon, the Lemon would pull the Sour Face sometimes!

Just bloody enjoy it , and more to the point, let other people enjoy it will you, instead of making yr cutting remarks , for God Sakes !:confused:
Enjoy it all you want, but to say the Monkey's off our back is absolute bollocks!

If it really really meant something surely Hudson & Gia would have played. Higgins & Hargrave wouldn't have been subs & Boyd would have remained on.

It's a glorified practice match schedule using rules that don't apply in a few short weeks.

I have always felt that we probably have to make a pre-season GF to make a real GF. Not sure why I have felt that way, but I would agree that part of the monkey is off our back.

i totally agree with you mate:thumbsu:

its certainly not making the "Big One" as such, but it definitely adds to a winning culture at our club which lets face it, has been non existent in terms of being in a Grand Final since 1970, and i really believe it will be good for the players mentally come prelim final day if we are lucky enough to make it again in September.

if you don't think that there has been a monkey on this clubs back regarding making a g.f, you are living on another planet mate.

coon dog, i swear if you were sucking on a lemon, the lemon would pull the sour face sometimes!

just bloody enjoy it , and more to the point, let other people enjoy it will you, instead of making yr cutting remarks , for god sakes !:confused:
lol :d

Enjoy it all you want, but to say the Monkey's off our back is absolute bollocks!

If it really really meant something surely Hudson & Gia would have played. Higgins & Hargrave wouldn't have been subs & Boyd would have remained on.

It's a glorified practice match schedule using rules that don't apply in a few short weeks.

Yet the coaching staff still felt the need to rush both Hall & Aker back onto the ground with only 2 minutes to go.

Geez, yr hard to please ! What will make u happy? hehe !:D

Have a good night mate !:thumbsu:

Still, we could have kicked ourselves out of it tonight. Was disappointing seeing so many terrible kicks for goal. It's like the bigger stage makes us more nervous in front of the big sticks. Getting in to some sort of GF will hopefully ease the nerves... I'm an advocate of the pre-season comp... Even though it isn't the prize you play for, it's better than a stab in the eye with a toothpick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its true ... we were a Rehab Chihuahua before making the "GF":
128667556274012754.jpg

Now we're Real Bulldogs (no monkey on back):
mauiexpo-bulldogs2.jpg

:)

^^

Brilliant ! thats what we need around here - someone with a sense of Humour ! hehe !:D

Incidently, for those of you who taped the game, check out Bob Murphy's avasiveness at the 12 min 59 second mark of the 3rd quarter where Twinkle Toes avaided 3 port players and calmly set up Missy Higgins for the goal ! :p

Just Utter Brilliance !:thumbsu:

We are spoilt to be able to watch this bloke every week !;)

cheers

Enjoyed the lemmon sucking comment.

But, winning NAB semis isn't a good way of getting rid of back monkeys. Back monkeys are best gotten rid of through having consistent seasons and playing well in finals. Winning home and away premierships seems a popular way of getting rid of them too.

The oppostion we've face getting here has been inconsistent. Our play has been inconsistent for almost half of the three games it has taken to get here. This result shows us we've won against only three clubs of the sixteen, in pre-season games that don't mean a great deal.

Sure, I'm happy we've been winning, but none of it counts until we start playing real games.

i totally agree with you mate:thumbsu:

its certainly not making the "Big One" as such, but it definitely adds to a winning culture at our club which lets face it, has been non existent in terms of being in a Grand Final since 1970, and i really believe it will be good for the players mentally come prelim final day if we are lucky enough to make it again in September.

Mate, this club has played iin quite a few reserves and under 19s grand finals over the years.

Our most recent grand final was in 1994 when we made the reserves grand final and defeated Essendon to take home the VSFL premiership. In my opinion the reserves grand final is a much bigger event than the NAB cup grand final and requires far more hard work and sacrifice, since it involves performing in a long 22 week season and a four week final series; while getting into a NAB cup final only involves three wins.

^^
yr right, and i think you have to make yr own luck too. If we keep putting ourselves into Prelim Finals, we will eventually crack the big one, its only a matter of time

Also, if you look at the history of every AFL / VFL team, all of them have had their fair share of bad luck too in Finals Footy.

For example, take Essendon - We all may say how successful they have been over the years, but what about when they lost that Prelim against Sydney at the SCG when Lockett kicked the point after the siren, and When carlton beat them in the 1999 final i think it was with that tackle right at the end of the game..

All teams have bad and good luck in Finals.. Our luck will change if we keep showing up and playing finals footy !:thumbsu:

cheers

Mate, this club has played iin quite a few reserves and under 19s grand finals over the years.

Our most recent grand final was in 1994 when we made the reserves grand final and defeated Essendon to take home the VSFL premiership. In my opinion the reserves grand final is a much bigger event than the NAB cup grand final and requires far more hard work and sacrifice, since it involves performing in a long 22 week season and a four week final series; while getting into a NAB cup final only involves three wins.

Good point - let's all re-phrase to "first senior Grand Final since 1970".

Lincoln Reynolds chicken dance. Best GF day of my life so far. :(

NAB Cup final, a chance to win something that feels legitimate. Good thing for us.

Lincoln Reynolds chicken dance. Best GF day of my life so far. :(

I remember that year we had a few senior playes play reserves during the year because of injury, so we were able to field a lot of senior players side for the Grand Final because they played the minimum number of games with the team to qualify to play finals. Simon Atkins, Illja Grigik (sp), Steve Mcpherson, etc.

Great post.

Reserves premierships are great for supporters, and the club. Happy two's teams are so good for moral.

I was there for that, aged fifteen and not understanding how much work would have gone into it.

Sucks that the reserves are gone. I wish the the AFL was big and rich enough to get the two teams across the country every week to play reserves and seniors.

You're right Wian, the monkey is well and truly off our backs......

The only problem is, the silverback gorilla that is still on there.....;)

Great post.

Reserves premierships are great for supporters, and the club. Happy two's teams are so good for moral.

I was there for that, aged fifteen and not understanding how much work would have gone into it.

Sucks that the reserves are gone. I wish the the AFL was big and rich enough to get the two teams across the country every week to play reserves and seniors.

i totally agree...
its probably unfeasible to have it so, but i know how much of a kick regional footy supporters get supporting their two's teams in grand finals... nostalgic i guess...

as for wian's post... i love your optimism.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Monkey is finally off Our Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back