Review The most idiotic media call about Hawthorns rebuild

Who deserves the most ridicule about how Hawthorn has gone about the rebuild since three-peting?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Purple #1, followed by daylight and Joey.

I stopped listening to and reading Purple a long time ago. Is he still doubling down on his ridiculous take?

Might have to move Kingy up to second spot in my rankings…

Apparently all we’ve got is our clearance game. And our defensive profile is just on the back of winning the contest and locking the ball in the forward half. :drunk:

I don’t know… some people, maybe even most people would just call that being good at football. But Kingy sees right through that form line.

Don't think there's a good argument for anyone other than Purple because, if pressed, he will still try to defend it as tanking by using weasely words about what constitutes tanking.

Second worst is clearly Montagna because of how late in the piece he decided to switch up his opinion.

With Kingy I kinda don't care, and with Kane he changed his mind with more information and has been solid on us even through the earlier parts of this season, which is respectable. So those guys aren't close to the worst imo.
This. Kane changed his mind presented with new information/evidence. Purple doubled down and looks an absolute fool

The way it stands now, Tasmania are gonna win a premiership before Hawthorn.”
- Jonathan Brown

I have no problem with that comment as you need to put it into context at the time it was spoken which he clearly stated in his comment I might add. At 1-5 with the only win against North and some pretty ordinary performances, he wasn't alone in being concerned for where the club was going as evidenced by numerous posts in here at the time. Should we lynch them all too for not being Nostradamus?

For me Barrett is the only flog that deserves shit piled on him for his early call and steadfast refusal to admit he was wrong. But at the end of the day who really cares they are just opinions.

Apparently all we’ve got is our clearance game. And our defensive profile is just on the back of winning the contest and locking the ball in the forward half. :drunk:

I don’t know… some people, maybe even most people would just call that being good at football. But Kingy sees right through that form line.

King said we had all facets of our game going well but the area we led the competition in statistically was clearance work.

The measure for the conversation was did we have the game to win a preliminary final. Gerard thinks we do, King thinks we have improved heaps but we aren’t there yet.

I don’t see much to complain about in this clip. It’s all good isn’t it?

It is funny watching people who don't want to give us credit because of past comments they've made (Kingy said our young talent wasn't coming on and its important to nail your draft selections earlier in the year) and what they come up with when they are put on the spot, like Whateley has done to King for last few weeks. For example, Barrett last year was so awkward, and he'd often just talk about individual players. He would revert to 'How good can Mitch Lewis be?' rather than talk about our form. Kingy does the same on Last Crack, focusing on just an individual or two, think it was Will Day before, and this week he's gone for Meek and little else. Even starting to answer the question from Gerald about how far can Hawthorn go, he started talking about Lloyd Meek again, ignoring the question, and then swinging back to 'it ONLY about the clearances for them' etc. Not our hard running, toughness, foot skills from defence, team formation at clearances, inside 50 efficiency, ability to get guys like Chol/D'Ambrossio etc to improve be the best versions of themselves, defensive team defence etc. 'Just' the clearances. Get a kick Kingy.

Last edited:
King said we had all facets of our game going well but the area we led the competition in statistically was clearance work.

The measure for the conversation was did we have the game to win a preliminary final. Gerard thinks we do, King thinks we have improved heaps but we aren’t there yet.

I don’t see much to complain about in this clip. It’s all good isn’t it?
Whether he’s right or wrong that pretty much every stat were league average, wouldn’t that just put us around 7-9th?
Sounds about right.

Being able to admit when you got it wrong is a virtue. Cornes not only did that but also he’s been our biggest fan since we started to look at all threatening.
Yep, Cornes did it early, Caro publicly apologised to Sam, even Llordo got there eventually, admitting he was slow to get on board (and crediting Cornes for being the first).

You're not going to get that from the likes of Barrett, King or Montagna.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with that comment as you need to put it into context at the time it was spoken which he clearly stated in his comment I might add. At 1-5 with the only win against North and some pretty ordinary performances, he wasn't alone in being concerned for where the club was going as evidenced by numerous posts in here at the time. Should we lynch them all too for not being Nostradamus?

For me Barrett is the only flog that deserves shit piled on him for his early call and steadfast refusal to admit he was wrong. But at the end of the day who really cares they are just opinions.
Tasmania won't enter the competition for another 4 years.

Best case scenario, it takes them 4-5 years to develop a team which is capable of even making finals (took GWS 5 years, GCS still none after 14 years). That's nearly a decade between now and Tasmania being anywhere near even making, let alone pushing for a flag on a best case scenario. To say that they are CLOSER to a flag than us is hyperbole to say the least, even with our poor start, which mind you did include a couple of closes.

Think it was kingy on Wheatlys show who said a club would offer the Sts 2 1st round picks for Max King. Couple of weeks ago it was Chris Scott to possibly coach I forget who. Point is he reads a script and any insight is pure law of averages chance. IMO

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Montagna the worst for mine.
Barrett at least had the small skerrick of realism to his claim that we weren’t trying to win games when we declared ourselves that we knew that things were going to be really tough early in 2023.

No club takes 10 years to rebuild unless they absolutely botch a bunch of draft picks and trades. It’s idiotic to claim a club is that far off it.
Montagna is meant to be in the game of footy analysis and knowledge. To have missed on how much talent we already had on the list, choosing instead to claim we were possibly 10 years off having enough talent to rise was absolutely rubbish at the time and looks even worse now.

I won’t even touch on how he was unable to see the upside of Sam’s gamestyle, and how it would stand up with a small improve in defensive structure.

Most footy pundits are morons. There's a huge amount of groupthink as well because it's all basically mates looking after each other. It's why anyone who goes against the grain makes them nervous - that and the fact it's a huge boys club.

I will give Kane a pass as he's shown his views can evolve over time but people like Barratt are the equivalent of Andrew Bolt. Rely on us reacting to their stupid calls to make a name for themselves.

Montagna the worst for mine.
Barrett at least had the small skerrick of realism to his claim that we weren’t trying to win games when we declared ourselves that we knew that things were going to be really tough early in 2023.

No club takes 10 years to rebuild unless they absolutely botch a bunch of draft picks and trades. It’s idiotic to claim a club is that far off it.
Montagna is meant to be in the game of footy analysis and knowledge. To have missed on how much talent we already had on the list, choosing instead to claim we were possibly 10 years off having enough talent to rise was absolutely rubbish at the time and looks even worse now.

I won’t even touch on how he was unable to see the upside of Sam’s gamestyle, and how it would stand up with a small improve in defensive structure.

It's because of his Saints background.

Just want to add this donkey take for posterity.

Don't think what he said was all that bad. Was a little contradictory when justifying why he wasn't "a believer", but all he was really saying is that he doesn't think we can go all the way this year.

2. Leigh Montagna. People will always be late to the party. This pigeon was the first one to arrive but then left early and now spends all his time trying to convince people the party doesn't exist.
Genius!

He left the party before all the crazy shit went down at three am and is now wondering what everyone is talking about.
His take is the worst, because he mentioned 10 years.

From 2006 to 2016, Hawthorn rebuilt, won 4 premierships (one of them 2 years in) and started the decline. Ten years is a stupid comment.

Most footy pundits are morons. There's a huge amount of groupthink as well because it's all basically mates looking after each other. It's why anyone who goes against the grain makes them nervous - that and the fact it's a huge boys club.

I will give Kane a pass as he's shown his views can evolve over time but people like Barratt are the equivalent of Andrew Bolt. Rely on us reacting to their stupid calls to make a name for themselves.
Exactly this.

They're presented to us as 'experts'..but most of them are just dumb ex-footballers....paid to say the kind of thoughtless opinionated 'hot-takes' that you'd quickly walk away from if you found yourself next to them at the bar.

Unfortunately, they're what we have to put up with if he want to hear about our team...so they say shit...and he we all are, talking about them.

I couldn't give a shit what any moron thinks might happen in the future, I may as well go to my cat for wisdom.

In this sense, there's nothing close to Barrett.

Everyone else is just pissing in the wind...but Barrett actually waged a public campaign to see our club punished, with his bullshit, completely unsustainable agenda. basically, Hawthorn made two trade swhich he didn't think were fair value..therefore WE ARE TANKING!

On the basis of two trades (at least one of which has turned out to be excellent) we should have suffered a punishment no club has ever been accused of.

**** him. I'd like to meet him drunk in a pub one day...

Last edited:
Back