The most talented AFL player

Remove this Banner Ad

why dont you tell me your point.. explain.. withou secret mssgs or whatever
i jus wokeup so maybe thats hwy i dont get it
cah u explain it easier for me>

its a little bit stupid having a poll who is the AFLs most tallented player, and then leaving out garry ablett, if you wanted to be taken serious you should have done it properly.

i am not sure if you are trying to be serious or not thought with this one, havent read any of your posts in it, best of luck thought either way, troll or no troll

Gary ablett is a consistent ball winner who likes to handball and has good endurance.

Don't think he rates among the elite in terms of talent though. I left Judd and Swan out for the same reasons. The output from these players is high, but the skill doesn't rate with a Rioli or a Jurrah.

why dont you tell me your point.. explain.. withou secret mssgs or whatever

My point is it's stupid to say Melbourne or Freo supporters are only allowed to have an opinion on Franklin if they have a better player on their team than Franklin.

That's like me saying you aren't allowed to have an opinion on any AFL player because you've never played AFL yourself.

Like I said, it's totally irrelevant.

edit - but perhaps I shouldn't have bothered because judging from your posts a concept like this is probably beyond your comprehension

Gary ablett is a consistent ball winner who likes to handball and has good endurance.

Don't think he rates among the elite in terms of talent though. I left Judd and Swan out for the same reasons. The output from these players is high, but the skill doesn't rate with a Rioli or a Jurrah.

Yeah, it's not as if Ablett can kick beautifully either foot, or is a great mark for his size, or is unusually evasive.

Oh hang on, he's all of those things. :rolleyes:

Other than beign taller how do the guys on your list or anyone in the AFL exceed Ablett in terms of talent? The guys is the complete package - a balance, strength, speed and awareness combination that makes him as untacklable as anybody I've ever seen. Endurance. Clean hands. Precise disposal. Footy smarts. someone like Burgoyne or Jurrah may do things that appear more brilliant than Ablett, but it's because they're not intelligent enough (football wise) to play the percentages.

In the second half of his career Gary Ablett Sr virtually stopped taking speccies. It's not because he lost the talent. It's because he learnt that holding his feet was a much more affective method for someone with his strength and balance. Talent doesn't equal high risk/low percentage exploits. Like the whole Geelong team, Ablett doesn't get many plaudits for kicking freakish goals, because the whole team centres the ball if anyone else is on, and Ablett more than anybody else in the league is more likely to create space and find a better option, because noone can tackle the guy, therefore he has more time to find an option.

Footy smarts. someone like Burgoyne or Jurrah may do things that appear more brilliant than Ablett, but it's because they're not intelligent enough (football wise) to play the percentages.

You were going OK until this. I've never seen Jurrah waste a possession. In fact decision making is one of his greatest strengths. You've clearly not seen much of him.

Ablett is an interesting case study. In his first 100 games he averaged 15 possessions and he's averaged 30 since. Five years into his career he was just a talented small forward. It's been a remarkable transformation and just shows how talent can be realised with tremendous hard work.

You were going OK until this. I've never seen Jurrah waste a possession. In fact decision making is one of his greatest strengths. You've clearly not seen much of him.

Ablett is an interesting case study. In his first 100 games he averaged 15 possessions and he's averaged 30 since. Five years into his career he was just a talented small forward. It's been a remarkable transformation and just shows how talent can be realised with tremendous hard work.

Everyone wastes possessions. Nobody has a perfect goal kicking record or 100% efficiency. My point was that essentially Ablett takes a shot from the boundary as a last resort, because he has the class to be able to hold onto the ball for longer than anybody else going around. Jurrah on the other hand is not able to buy as much time as Ablett (nobody is), therefore he is going to take more shots from the boundary and therefore kick more extroadinary goals.

You are right about Ablett as an interesing case study. Many half forwards show as much as Ablett in their first five years, eg. Didak, Le Cras, N. Brown. And I suspect that for a long time you are going to hear about half forwards being favourably compared to Ablett early in their career, suggesting that they too like Ablett possess the talent to rise from being a good half forward to a sensational midfielder. Talent wise though Ablett differs in that he possesses elite physical talents, which have enabled him to rise to the level that he has. His balance, speed and strength combination is incredible and only bettered in the league by Buddy. Buddy on the other hand is well short of Ablett, and always has been, in terms of ball skills and footysmarts.

My point is it's stupid to say Melbourne or Freo supporters are only allowed to have an opinion on Franklin if they have a better player on their team than Franklin.

That's like me saying you aren't allowed to have an opinion on any AFL player because you've never played AFL yourself.

Like I said, it's totally irrelevant.

edit - but perhaps I shouldn't have bothered because judging from your posts a concept like this is probably beyond your comprehension

It seems so many on this forum just use that inherently flawed concept in response to everything negative said about their club. Example:

Collingwood supporter: "I don't think St Kilda will be able to win a flag with this list. Their time is up."

Saints supporter: "OH WHAT SO WHEN'S THE LAST TIME YOU WON A FLAG?! THE AFL LOVES YOU AND YOU STILL SUCK!"

You get the point.

Shit poll, by the way. For all the reasons previously stated.

I've put up probably the most talented players in the comp here. They are just freakishly skilled and the kind that are worth the price of admission alone.

Out of these, which is the most talented in your opinion?

Cyril Rioli
Lance Franklin
Liam Jurrah
Nic Naitanui
Brendan Fevola

Good comprehensive list. At least you'll never get accused of being a member of the KKK.

One of the two below, if you had to pick one. Hard choice though.
profilepic24652_5.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relton Roberts or Troy Taylor take your pick!

In all seriousness Gary Ablett...

For crazy skills/goalkicking.....the following three players:

1. Daniel Motlop...checkside from outside 50
2. Jason Akermanis....Brisbane game when he kicked 5 and two snaps from the boundary = wow
3. Stevie J

Franklin? No doubt he's got heaps of natural ability, but what makes him THAT good is his freakish athleticism. If he was the most talented in the league he wouldn't miss half his shots at goal.

Now Liam Jurrah, I've seen him do some freakishly skilfull things with the footy.

Relton Roberts or Troy Taylor take your pick!

In all seriousness Gary Ablett...

For crazy skills/goalkicking.....the following three players:

1. Daniel Motlop...checkside from outside 50
2. Jason Akermanis....Brisbane game when he kicked 5 and two snaps from the boundary = wow
3. Stevie J

Your right. Just watch this:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i15rmZ4lai4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i15rmZ4lai4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Cyril Rioli is by far the most 'talented,' however i stress talent does not mean the best.

The best players are ones like Gary Ablett, who whilst having less "pure talent" than Rioli, has much more effect on games.

Remove this Banner Ad

The most talented AFL player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back