The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching 'Pulp Fiction' for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I watched 'Reservoir Dogs' for the first time last night. I have no idea why it's taken me so long to check out Tarantino's films, especially since a lot of my friends rave about his work, but I completely love both of those films now. They'd rank high on my favourite films list already.

I'm checking out both 'Kill Bill's' next, and I looked up the trailer for 'Grindhouse' and that looks awesome. I love the idea of a retro '70s double feature, so I'll definitely be checking that out.:thumbsu:

Any other recommendations for similar films anybody?

After watching 'Pulp Fiction' for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I watched 'Reservoir Dogs' for the first time last night. I have no idea why it's taken me so long to check out Tarantino's films, especially since a lot of my friends rave about his work, but I completely love both of those films now. They'd rank high on my favourite films list already.

I'm checking out both 'Kill Bill's' next, and I looked up the trailer for 'Grindhouse' and that looks awesome. I love the idea of a retro '70s double feature, so I'll definitely be checking that out.:thumbsu:

Any other recommendations for similar films anybody?
Well, first ones that come to mind are Tarantino's buddy Robert Rodriguez's movies.

His Mexico trilogy - El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico are all worth seeing, as are his horror movies (other than Planet Terror from Grindhouse) From Dusk Till Dawn (which was written by and stars Tarantino) and The Faculty.

Then there's Sin City... One of my all-time favourites. Even Machete, which was based on one of the fake trailers from the middle of Grindhouse is a pretty solid movie featuring Robert DeNiro giving one of his better actual acting performances (i.e. not just playing "Robert DeNiro") in recent memory.

Basically every movie he's directed is worth seeing - Except for the kids movies. He did the Spy Kids movies and Sharkboy & Lava Girl to basically give himself the freedom to do whatever the hell he wants in the rest of his career - They all made a crapload of money.

Jacques Tati's Playtime would be in my top 3. Such a brilliantly layered film.

Apart from his mainstream hits (like School of Rock:mad:) , Richard Linklater would be my favourite contemporary filmmaker. His "Before" films in 95 and 04 (soon to be a trilogy from what I've read) are an antidote to all that Hollywood romcom sap.

Jacques Tati's Playtime would be in my top 3. Such a brilliantly layered film.
Exceptional - We watched that as, I believe, the second movie in Cinema Studies at uni, and at that point in my life I had absolutly no idea what to make of it, it was so unlike anything I'd seen before, but I never stopped enjoying it.

Mon Oncle is a masterpiece too.

Well, first ones that come to mind are Tarantino's buddy Robert Rodriguez's movies.

His Mexico trilogy - El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico are all worth seeing, as are his horror movies (other than Planet Terror from Grindhouse) From Dusk Till Dawn (which was written by and stars Tarantino) and The Faculty.

Then there's Sin City... One of my all-time favourites. Even Machete, which was based on one of the fake trailers from the middle of Grindhouse is a pretty solid movie featuring Robert DeNiro giving one of his better actual acting performances (i.e. not just playing "Robert DeNiro") in recent memory.

Basically every movie he's directed is worth seeing - Except for the kids movies. He did the Spy Kids movies and Sharkboy & Lava Girl to basically give himself the freedom to do whatever the hell he wants in the rest of his career - They all made a crapload of money.
Cheers for that! I'll be sure to check these movies out.:thumbsu:

Well I watched 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' last night and I freaking loved it! That's 3 great movies out of 3 that I've seen from Quentin Tarantino. I'm not even into kung-fu movies, but I really enjoyed it. The over-the-top violence, the dark humour, the whole revenge story and Uma Thurman's character were all great (What the heck is her name? It got beeped out whenever it was mentioned. Maybe it will be revealed in 'Vol. 2'?). I'll be watching 'Kill Bill Vol. 2' tonight, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I feel so annoyed at myself for not watching Tarantino's movies sooner! I feel like I've been missing out big time.

Well I watched 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' last night and I freaking loved it! That's 3 great movies out of 3 that I've seen from Quentin Tarantino. I'm not even into kung-fu movies, but I really enjoyed it. The over-the-top violence, the dark humour, the whole revenge story and Uma Thurman's character were all great (What the heck is her name? It got beeped out whenever it was mentioned. Maybe it will be revealed in 'Vol. 2'?). I'll be watching 'Kill Bill Vol. 2' tonight, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I feel so annoyed at myself for not watching Tarantino's movies sooner! I feel like I've been missing out big time.
Her name is revealed late in Vol. 2, but it's not really all that exciting. Up to this point, she's only known as "The Bride", which is way cooler.

And I still think that Lucy Liu should've won an Oscar for her performance in Vol. 1. Her intensity in the boardroom scene alone should have gotten her nominated, and had her taking home the trophy.

Best Supporting Actress was mess that year:

Renée ZellwegerCold Mountain (WINNER)

You can't even make a reasonable argument for any of those performances being better than Lucy Liu's, IMO.

I quite like a few of the films mentioned.

My favourite few include:

Les Enfants du Paradis
A night at the Opera
Rashomon
Vertigo
All about Eve
The confromist

As for Directors:

Hitchcock.
Billy Wilder
Joseph Mankiewicz
Kurosawa
Lubitz
Goddard
Woody Allen

Your post confirms my opinion that there are not too many great films made since the halcyon days of the seventies, another director whose films I like quite a lot is Joseph Losey another fine US director who went to make films in the uk during the McCarthy era.

Ps Thanks for answering the post I would have you myself a lot sooner but I have been without a computer for 5 days and its been killing me,I have read some of yours and ladbroke lads posts on nick so welcome here even if it is belated.

I watched 'Kill Bill Vol.2' last night and was a tad disappointed. It goes in a different direction from 'Vol.1', and the lack of action compared to the first was a bit of a let-down, because that's what I enjoyed the most from the first. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good film, but I thought 'Vol.1' was better.

The next Tarantino film I will be watching is 'Grindhouse' (actually half Tarantino film, because it's a double feature with one film directed by Robert Rodriguez). I'm looking forward to that one.:thumbsu:

I watched 'Kill Bill Vol.2' last night and was a tad disappointed. It goes in a different direction from 'Vol.1', and the lack of action compared to the first was a bit of a let-down, because that's what I enjoyed the most from the first. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good film, but I thought 'Vol.1' was better.

The next Tarantino film I will be watching is 'Grindhouse' (actually half Tarantino film, because it's a double feature with one film directed by Robert Rodriguez). I'm looking forward to that one.:thumbsu:
Yep you can't go wrong with Death Proof , Kurt Russell is a pisser in it.

Anyone seen Rob Zombies movie "House of a thousand corpses" ? Now that's a waaaay out there movie.

Anyone seen Rob Zombies movie "House of a thousand corpses" ? Now that's a waaaay out there movie.
Yeah, House of 1000 Corpses is a real horror movie - Some would say it's over the top, but I think it goes as far as it needs to to scare modern audiences. The sequel, The Devil's Rejects is good too.

I like the two Jeepers Creepers movies as well - I'm a sucker for when a sequel is a different genre to the original movie :D

Yeah, House of 1000 Corpses is a real horror movie - Some would say it's over the top, but I think it goes as far as it needs to to scare modern audiences. The sequel, The Devil's Rejects is good too.

I like the two Jeepers Creepers movies as well - I'm a sucker for when a sequel is a different genre to the original movie :D
The first Jeepers Creepers would have to have one the best openings ever with that crazy arse car .

Oh man, I forgot how hilarious 'This Is Spinal Tap' is!

"The review for 'Shark Sandwich' was merely a two word review, which simply read "Shit Sandwich"."

About their black album cover: Nigel Tufnel - "It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

Nigel plays a soft, sombre piano piece - "I call it 'Lick My Love Pump'.":D

And of course, the classic "these go to eleven" scene.:thumbsu:

Also, epic guitar solo:

:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top notch drama on sbs tonight called Red Riding Trilogy at 9.30pm I saw it sbs early last yr and decided to buy a copy of it.If you cannot see it tonight get the pvr activated and copy it it is worth doing.

I got around to watching 'Grindhouse' last night and enjoyed it immensely. My favourite of the two films was Tarantino's 'Death Proof'. The extended car chase near the end was amazing!

I'm a huge Kurt Russell fan, so I loved his character. He does all these messed up things, but I was kind of rooting for him in the end. Is that weird?:p Speaking of Kurt Russell, 'Escape from New York' (in your avatar) is one of my favourite films of all time, and Snake Plissken is one of my favourite characters of all time. Total badass!

Back to 'Grindhouse'. The 'Planet Terror' part of it was pretty good too. I don't mind a good zombie film from time to time, so I enjoyed it. I'm also a big Bruce Willis fan too, so I couldn't really go wrong with one movie that has Bruce Willis and one movie that has Kurt Russell.

I'm not a fan of gore in horror films, but my opinion on that changes when it's low-budget, B-movie gore. It's so over-the-top that it's kind of funny and entertaining. 'Planet Terror' delivers in that regard. It needed the gore, because it wouldn't have worked as well without it. I still enjoyed 'Death Proof' more in the end though.

Those trailers between the films in 'Grindhouse' were great too. Adding them was a great idea. I wouldn't mind seeing some of them (and apparently 'Machete' has become an actual film now). I also love how they damaged the print to make it look like an actual '70s film. I noticed that it clears up at the end of 'Death Proof' though, which I thought was a bit odd. The car chase would have looked even cooler with all the grainy-ness I reckon.

Looks like the next film of Tarantino's that I'll have to watch is 'Inglourious Basterds' (what's up with the spelling of the title?).

I'm also planning on watching every single Bond film again. I watched 'Dr. No' a few days ago. Sean Connery IS James Bond. That's an indisputable fact. I always really enjoyed Pierce Brosnan as Bond, because I grew up with those Bond films, but Connery is in a league of his own as Bond.

Looks like the next film of Tarantino's that I'll have to watch is 'Inglourious Basterds' (what's up with the spelling of the title?).
There's never been an official explanation on the spelling, but two prevailing theories are:

1) To distinguish it from the movie it is paying some homage to, 1978's The Inglorious Bastards.

2) Quentin Tarantino is a notoriously awful speller, and any copy of an original script (all of which he writes in longhand on legal pads, and then transcribes by typewriter) will attest to that. This spelling may be an act of defiance, refusing to change the spelling that he first used.

I watched the last two of Tarantino's films the other night, 'Jackie Brown' and 'Inglourious Basterds'. Both were great, but out of those two I preferred 'Inglourious Basterds', which was just captivating from the moment it started, while 'Jackie Brown' dragged along in a few places. I enjoyed 'Jackie Brown', but in comparison to his other films, I would have to say that it's my least favourite Tarantino film (which seems to be the consensus reading online). Now that I've watched all his movies, I can safely say that Quentin Tarantino is one of my favourite directors of all-time, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't watch his films sooner.:mad:

This is my personal ranking of his films, based on how much I enjoyed them:
1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Death Proof (quite an underrated film based on what I've read online too)
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
7. Jackie Brown

Now to go and rewatch them all over again!:):thumbsu:

I watched the last two of Tarantino's films the other night, 'Jackie Brown' and 'Inglourious Basterds'. Both were great, but out of those two I preferred 'Inglourious Basterds', which was just captivating from the moment it started, while 'Jackie Brown' dragged along in a few places. I enjoyed 'Jackie Brown', but in comparison to his other films, I would have to say that it's my least favourite Tarantino film (which seems to be the consensus reading online). Now that I've watched all his movies, I can safely say that Quentin Tarantino is one of my favourite directors of all-time, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't watch his films sooner.:mad:

This is my personal ranking of his films, based on how much I enjoyed them:
1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Death Proof (quite an underrated film based on what I've read online too)
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
7. Jackie Brown

Now to go and rewatch them all over again!:):thumbsu:
What about gangster movies ? Do you like them ?
The Departed aand The Town are two of the best movies I've seen.

What about gangster movies ? Do you like them ?
The Departed aand The Town are two of the best movies I've seen.
My dad and uncles love gangster movies, but I'm not really into them personally. I haven't really seen many though. I've mostly just seen bits and pieces in the background while my dad watched them when I was younger. Speaking of which, my dad was awesome when it came to letting me watch higher rated movies when I was younger. Watching R-rated horror movies when you're only 8? Hell yeah, I did!:D

Back from my tangent, I've heard good things about 'The Departed', so I'll check those two out when I can.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Movie Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back