The Next Big Thing - Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

As for this thread, I cringed when I saw it. Some common sense wouldn't have gone astray. I have solid hopes for Stringer, but one needs to be realistic on the main board. Evidence of players with his history says we have at best a 200 game player who may be B+. Odds of him being above that are quite low.

Not cringing now, and very happy to be wrong. My apologies to the OP.

You have to play a good ground level player on him and concede any contested marks he takes. His set shots are erratic as are his hands. If he ever gets those right expect a 70-80 goal year.
Against the Eagles, his contested marks were insane, and he had his kicking boots on for set shots. If he can work those two areas out, holy f*** he will be an even bigger headache for oppositions.

Jesse Stringer would be a good match-up for Jake Stringer.

Dermie says they are the same bloke so dunno how they match each other up.

Also believes Brad Boyd currently plays for us despite the fact he wore a Fitzroy jumper. And played in the 80's.....

Silly Dermie :oops:

Jakey Finished the home and away season with 54 Goals - 5th in the Coleman. The majority thought it was a radical call with my original post. Any of those 52 likes still believe it wasn't worthy of a main board post???

Look forward to Jake playing on the main stage at the G next week in the finals.

Jakey Finished the home and away season with 54 Goals - 5th in the Coleman. The majority thought it was a radical call with my original post. Any of those 52 likes still believe it wasn't worthy of a main board post???

Look forward to Jake playing on the main stage at the G next week in the finals.

Because you were comparing him with Gary Ablett Snr. He's had a great year, 54 is a top effort for a young forward, but in Ablett's third playing season he kicked 82 goals from the wing coming third in the Coleman.

Because you were comparing him with Gary Ablett Snr. He's had a great year, 54 is a top effort for a young forward, but in Ablett's third playing season he kicked 82 goals from the wing coming third in the Coleman.

I can't seem to work out where I am comparing him to Ablett. He has the closest style I have seen to Ablett. Ablett is the greatest player I've ever seen. Don't think I'll see one better.

For the billionth time, and Bulldogs and non-Bulldogs people have posted in this thread, the comparison was made in play style, not overall ability or influence on games.
Stop being pedantic for the sake of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the Coleman winner kicked how many this year? Silly post, the game has changed, not to mention Ablett was 2 years older in his 3rd season... Stringer is an out and out jet, comparisons of his playing style to Ablett's are definitely apt.

I'm not saying he's the greatest player or better than your magic Cyril - I've just never seen a player like him. He's different. There's something about him.

I'm not saying he's the greatest player or better than your magic Cyril - I've just never seen a player like him. He's different. There's something about him.

Fair enough, hes a gun.

Stringer, Hogan and Cameron are going to own the comp for the next decade imo.

Well done Jakey....Named Captain of Under 22's Team of the year and now been selected in the All Australian Team at age 21 (Youngest Bulldog since the Great EJ). I called it with my original post that he was going to take it to the next level. Look out for a better season next year with another preseason under the belt.

Still think it was a radical preseason call ?
1269421.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

The Next Big Thing - Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back