Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like most the criticism in this thread stems more from him not being a particularly likeable bloke then his performances on the football field.

A mix of things.

Lots of footy watchers want to him to be what he promised to be in 2015 - which he isn't - and so he gets some heat for that.

Also he's a highly paid professional - and fat - athlete.

For what the Bombers paid for him I reckon he has been OK.

I mean you are the team who kept Dodoro around for 20 years and still want James Hird to coach... so Id say I know a bit about watching insanity do its thing.
Paying the dwarf 1 mill to twiddle his thumbs for a year ?
nervous cricket GIF by KingfisherWorld

You have no idea what you’re talking about and clearly don’t watch the superstar closely enough to see the sublime skills he routinely performs.

He’s a very unique player. A marquee player. A power forward whose is as skilled as Cameron.
Stringer doesn't have the consistency of someone like Cameron, much bigger gap between his best and worst. There's a reason he's considered more enigmatic and mercurial than elite. Some people expect him to be elite, so he will always have critics unless he's that.

2022 he trains with the midfield group in preseason and his body breaks down. In and out with injuries all year, doesn’t have much impact.

2023 preseason his training loads are lightened, doesn’t train with midfield group, deals with a concussion issue, doesn’t look ripped and people lose their minds. Into the team round 3, slowly builds and hasn’t missed a game since. 26 touches and 4 goals be reigning premiers in round 7, off a five day break.

Maybe not so badly managed and not training so badly this year?

Stringer doesn't have the consistency of someone like Cameron, much bigger gap between his best and worst. There's a reason he's considered more enigmatic and mercurial than elite. Some people expect him to be elite, so he will always have critics unless he's that.
Stringer adds more team value and is better than Cameron.

He’s better than G.A Snr.

He’s a mega star.

Do you need a /trollingoppofans at the end of posts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was very good today, from watching at the ground was the Dons best.

Yes and no. Weiderman and Shiel I thought were probably a bit better.

Stringer - and yes he was good not arguing that he wasn’t - has an advantage over players of similar output in that he has a tendency to do it in a more aesthetically pleasing manner. He’s mercurial to borrow a term someone used earlier in the thread.

His output WAS very good, he got a lot of the ball and kicked 4 goals so plainly he was among his side’s best but watching it never felt like he was an actual factor

you really need to watch the Dogs flag , he was truly horrendous
Come again?

14 disposals and just under 2 goals a game average during their flag year and was their leading goal scorer.

Wasn't amazing, but truly horrendous?

Come again?

14 disposals and just under 2 goals a game average during their flag year and was their leading goal scorer.

Wasn't amazing, but truly horrendous?
During the finals he was absolutely horrendous except the Hawks semi final. Had a moment or two in the grand final in the last quarter but was probably in our worst 3 on the ground.

Stringer was dropped right before the 2016 finals and was brought back into the team not based on earning his spot back but rather what he could potentially do.

During the finals he was absolutely horrendous except the Hawks semi final. Had a moment or two in the grand final in the last quarter but was probably in our worst 3 on the ground.

Stringer was dropped right before the 2016 finals and was brought back into the team not based on earning his spot back but rather what he could potentially do.
And yet he was still your leading goal kicker for the season so he played well during parts of the season.

Yes he had down patches, nobody is denying that but the poster quoted clearly said his "average form from 2015 to 2021."

Do you need the definition of average explained to you? Hint, it isn't just the down patches.

As predicted at the time, has been a great trade for us. We paid SFA thanks to the Dogs’ interesting strategy of shitting on him publicly and driving his price down. He’s battled plenty of issues with his body and mind but has still been a very influential player who is very versatile and can turn a game with his presence in the middle or forward.

More than happy with what he brings, he’s a headache for the opposition to plan for and deal with every week.

Yes he had down patches, nobody is denying that but the poster quoted clearly said his "average form from 2015 to 2021."

Do you need the definition of average explained to you? Hint, it isn't just the down patches.
The more I read this thread, see facts used by dons supporters and compare that to HeathComeBack mumbling that he was horrendous, it becomes obvious that this really doesn't have anything to do with football.

Stringer kicked 4 goals and had 26 disposals today against the reigning premier today. To some this would still be a poor display to be ridiculed.

The more I read this thread, see facts used by dons supporters and compare that to HeathComeBack mumbling that he was horrendous, it becomes obvious that this really doesn't have anything to do with football.

Stringer kicked 4 goals and had 26 disposals today against the reigning premier today. To some this would still be a poor display to be ridiculed.
I said nothing but watch him in the grand final. Go on , i dare you. Then come back to me,

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back