Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane going to be upset about the Dees clapping Isaac Smith off.

1657196339793.png

Bunjil - as depicted in rock art in the Black Range Scenic Reserve near Stawell. The site linked below notes that this is the only rockart painting of Bunjil known. It is widely regarded as one of the most significant cultural sites in south eastern Australia.

View attachment 1441467

A representation of Bunjil sitting atop Olliver's Hill in Frankston.

Another, larger but otherwise similar statue by the same artist is located near Spencer St Station in "The Melbourne Quarter" of Docklands.

Somewhere I have a photo taken near Hall's Gap where the oldest known rock painting of Bunjil can be found.
I love wedgetails. I can usually spot them from miles away. Seen some huge ones too.

Yes.

Bruce Pascoe also gave a ted talk on it.

Edit there are a couple of things that led me more into looking into this.

I went to New Zealand and they were having Maori Language week were their news was presented in Maori and had English subtitles. Anyway everywhere there was Kia Ora, I started wondering why I knew the words for hello for a place I had been to once and not the words in the language of the people who lived on the land I was born on for thousands of years before I got here.

There was the footy connection, Marngrook etc.

THere is a depth of culture in this country and it is every where and most people wouldn't know it if they were staring at it.

Jingi walla is hello/welcome in the language of the peoples where I live. It gets used alot now.

Jingi walla is hello/welcome in the language of the peoples where I live. It gets used alot now.

As far as I can find Wominjeka is the closest thing to hello, meaning Welcome, in woi-wurrung the language of the Wurundjeri.

If you guys haven't seen this site, have a look: Gambay: Australian First Languages Map — First Languages Australia

The interactive map is fantastic for understanding the languages in your area.

I also like this one, but it is just for Queensland: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
It's a bit more of the same, but I love how the QLD one links into library resources for each community.

A power of work is being put into this sort of thing lately. Small steps.

If you guys haven't seen this site, have a look: Gambay: Australian First Languages Map — First Languages Australia

The interactive map is fantastic for understanding the languages in your area.

I also like this one, but it is just for Queensland: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
It's a bit more of the same, but I love how the QLD one links into library resources for each community.

A power of work is being put into this sort of thing lately. Small steps.

thanks for this.

For those interested in Victoria there are plans for the creation of a treaty between first nations people and the state government.

Last edited:
Kaya Wadjuk-ap Boodja ferball

(Appologies for grammar for anyone fluent on here)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back