The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What Will we Get For Meesen?

Gets! said:
I wouldnt even trade a second rounder for Russell.

He is soft, never gets contested ball and makes so many mistakes it's not funny.

Truck Rutten, see if you can watch a Carlton game where he is playing, 110%you will agree with me.

It looks like he's playing tomorrow with the Northern Bullants. They're playing the same time as the Crows though. I'll just take your word for it :D

Gets! said:
I wouldnt even trade a second rounder for Russell.

He is soft, never gets contested ball and makes so many mistakes it's not funny.

Truck Rutten, see if you can watch a Carlton game where he is playing, 110%you will agree with me.

Russell is only in his 2nd season, he has played about 10 games with limited game time and spends much of his time on the bench. He has dominated at VFL level and shown signs that he will be a good player at AFL in some of the games i have seen. He runs hard and is a fierce tackler, i admit have seen him shirk occasional contest, however these have been one offs and has been dragged when this occurs. I think next year he will be a good player for Carlton, also with how Carlton is traveling you cant blame him for having low confidence at times, we get smashed most weeks!

Its funny to see that zero-gamer Meesen is worth a first rounder, yet Russell, who was drafted one pick later in the same draft, and has played games, is barely worth a second.

That should give you some idea of how the rest of the AFL views Meesen's worth.

Porthos said:
Its funny to see that zero-gamer Meesen is worth a first rounder, yet Russell, who was drafted one pick later in the same draft, and has played games, is barely worth a second.

actually playing a game can be more detrimental to your value than not playing

Capitalist said:
actually playing a game can be more detrimental to your value than not playing
Certainly explains why Meesen can't get a run.

Porthos said:

On the one hand, Meesen is an up and coming ruckman - generally recognized as the best such player in his draft.

The other is a midfielder, and they're basically dime-a-dozen unless they're truly outstanding (ala Judd).

Vader said:
On the one hand, Meesen is an up and coming ruckman - generally recognized as the best such player in his draft.
Two years ago he was. Maric would certinaly be ahead of him now for one.

Porthos said:

But thats the crazy stupid nature of the draft/trade game where I think people have it backwards.

I've heard things like, "why would we take Meesen, when he hasnt played a game, I'd rather take Leuenberger ?" The reality is, a players worth is perceived to be higher if they havent played AFL (based on potential) as opposed to one who is playing AFL and not doing so well (based on performance).

Leuenberger will still command a top 10 pick and you'd have to spend 2 years of your own resources developing him. Take Meesen with the same pick you may spend on Leuenberger, and the risk is a lot less as the hard work has been done for you.

Porthos said:

You could well be right. Then again, while there is St Kilda, there is hope. Barry Brooks is back!

It's completely academic given he's not going anywhere, but what would Maric be worth now? High 2nd rounder?

I'd be comfortable with Port giving up our second rounder for Maric if we'd decided he was a player we wanted, sure. Which means you could probably get more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Porthos said:

Gee I didn't realise they are the same type fo player :rolleyes:

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that even you believe some of the crap that you type.

Stiffy_18 said:
Gee I didn't realise they are the same type fo player :rolleyes:
I didn't realise that ruckmen doing nothing automatically are worth so much more than any other player doing nothing.

Another thought is that, while Meesen was rated the best ruck in his draft year, maybe the Crows jumped too early. Wood was considered likely to be taken at #8 by your mob, but slipped to #18. Deluca was considered a top 10 prospect, but dropped to #35. Even Maric was tipped to be a second-rounder and fell to 40. It could be that 15 other clubs didn't think so much of the rucks in that draft as the Crows did.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that even you believe some of the crap that you type.
Sometimes I find it hard to believe you can hold a grudge so long. I could be saying that the sky was blue and you'd claim I was full of it.

Porthos said:
I didn't realise that ruckmen doing nothing automatically are worth so much more than any other player doing nothing.

Another thought is that, while Meesen was rated the best ruck in his draft year, maybe the Crows jumped too early. Wood was considered likely to be taken at #8 by your mob, but slipped to #18. Deluca was considered a top 10 prospect, but dropped to #35. Even Maric was tipped to be a second-rounder and fell to 40. It could be that 15 other clubs didn't think so much of the rucks in that draft as the Crows did.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe you can hold a grudge so long. I could be saying that the sky was blue and you'd claim I was full of it.

You idiot, do you know anything about that draft? Wood was tipped to go at #8 because Meesen was tipped to go higher, possibly #5. He wasn't taken so we snapped him up when the chance came. Meesen was the best rated ruck out of that draft@!

FERAL

Porthos said:

you speak for the afl? :p

earlsta said:
You idiot, do you know anything about that draft? Wood was tipped to go at #8 because Meesen was tipped to go higher, possibly #5. He wasn't taken so we snapped him up when the chance came. Meesen was the best rated ruck out of that draft@!
Yeah, ok, two points. First off, him going at #5 was always unlikely. Secondly, I never said that Meesen wasn't the top rated ruck out of that draft.

Porthos said:

no problems. we're always happy to help educate.

No No No!

they were not "considered" to be any such things. we all speculate, but we do not know what they were really "considered" to go at. what we know is that the people who matter did not think Wood a top 10 pick, certainly did not think deluca to be a top 10, same with Maric.

well yes, because you'd also claim Fos painted it that colour :D

BTW, wood looks like a pretty decent player at the lions.

Oh and what's with the Brisbane Lions, every single midfielder they take just BLOSSUMS.
I mean look at shermen....he was like pick 40 or something and look at him now, his a star. One of the best pick-ups in that draft.

Do you think Voss, aker, lappin, black, power has a major influence on how they play or what?

I wish reilly turned out like the shermenator

Porthos said:

How does this equation work then Porthos?

Barry Brooks

Drafted by Port Adelaide - 15th overall 2001

Games played for Port: 0

Traded to St. Kilda for picks 6 and 31 in 2002

Familiar with the economic theories of supply and demand? :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back