2nds The Official Northern Blues Thread #4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lance is pretty sharp, so I'd accept this as being the case.
Doesn't sound great on face value, but then again, why would Ratten be cutting across Harris's instructions?

If thats true, then its odd, but then Ratts would have the superiority wouldnt he? Or is that the real reason the coach quit *cue xfiles theme*

Yarran didn't want a kick three weeks ago. Walked around the ground with no purpose nor intentions. May have gone a some way to seal Hyde's fate.

Ellard is just a beauty at this level.
He may just become our Carrazzo soon enough.

It sealed his mind. Yazza not giving a shit. Senior players turning up late for meetings. Thornton abusing kids....... We have a long way to go still in professionalism

Our team (esp Ellard) and the opposition had a lot to do with the improvement I think

It sealed his mind. Yazza not giving a shit. Senior players turning up late for meetings. Thornton abusing kids....... We have a long way to go still in professionalism

Our team (esp Ellard) and the opposition had a lot to do with the improvement I think

Huh?

If thats true, then its odd, but then Ratts would have the superiority wouldnt he? Or is that the real reason the coach quit *cue xfiles theme*
I was thinking a different track

Attended the game and took some notes of the Carlton listed players and rated out of ten, as follows....

Buckley... Flashed in and out of the game. Showed tremendous speed when he had the ball. Because of light frame gets buffetted around alot.
No real impact on the game . Needs couple of pre seasons to build himself up more.5/10
Mitchell... Played mainly forward chf and pocket, tried to leave Thornton one out with his opponent. Spent some time in ruck relieving Warnock. Took nice mark and kicked goal 1st quarter. Looked a bit rusty with his marking, and match fitness was down. Needs more time. 6/10
O'Keefe... Hard runner all day, flashed in and out of the game. Did some nice things without starring. 6/10
Heyne..... Positioned himself well and provided a lot and run and linkups, result in him kicking two nice goals. 6/10
Davies.. Solid early in the match. Was fierce in his attack on the ball. Kicked a goal. Faded later in the match due to lack of match fitness. 6/10
Thornton.. Played full forward and was focal pont in attack. Mitchell also played wide of him most of the game to give him space. Positioned himself well, and took some nice grabs, and kicked 5 goals from about 8 or 9 shots. Good game. 8/10
Kerr.... One paced player who contributed well in the match. Not consistent with his decision making and just lacks the skill to ,progress to the higher level IMO. 5/10
Bell... Terrific game from this player. Started a bit slowly, but was decked bhind play by an opposition player, seemed to stir him up. His attack and aggression & inside bullocking work at the ball was fantastic, and was everywhere either seting or himself kicking some nice goals. Played particularly well in the 2nd half when Warnock was dominating the hitouts. Kicked 3 nice goals under pressure. Big impact on this game. Best game I've seen him play for the NBlues. Definately a keeper on this game.9/10
Casboult...Quiet game. Obviously rusty and lacking match fitness. Tried hard but no real impact on the game. 4/10
Bootsma... Quiet & shaky start, but after a few possessions really got his confidence up and took them on, and provided great run, and was a stumbling block in defence. Slowly learning his trade, and with consistency in his game, may be considered for another senior game before the end of the season. 7/10
White... Solid in defence. Played fullback I think, didn't give his opponent much space, and played very well. 7/10
Ellard.. Was everywhere and accumulated 34 disposals. Linked up extremely well and provided great run. Great player at this level. Can he get back to senior level? Toss up between he and Bell for me for BOG. 9/10
Bower....Played great 1st quarter where he repeatedly repelled Frankston attcks forward. Run and carry out of defence was great. Although erviceable, not so prominent in the second half. 7/10
Dale.. Played prettyy well, and linked up well. Does some nice things with the ball and has a lot of skill, but does too many ordinary things when under pressure, and bneeds more time to progress. 6/10
Carter.. Played mainly defence and midfield as a utility, did some nice things, but little or no impact on gam. 5/10
Lucas... Again gathers a lot of possessions but still has the problem of proper disposal under pressure. But today VG game. 8/10
Russell... Played steadying hand in defence. Was barking instructions to the younger players, played pretty well himself and disposal was quite good. Unfortunately, not quite good enough for promotion to senior level IMO. 7/10
Warnock...Serviceable game from Robbie. Won a lot of hitouts just because of this size and reach advantage over his opponent. Changed in the ruck with Mitchell and Casboult. Dominated the hitouts to advantage in the 3rd quarter providing many clearance opportunities for the Blues midfilders, and resulting in a number of valuable of goals. 6/10

Thanks for the report Lance !
I also have a question for you or anyone who was at the game, in regards to your comments on O'Keeffe, what position was he mostly in and what kind of role did you feel he played?

Massive effort from those of you who provided reports and updates, very much appreciated.
It doesn't sound like the opposition were of the highest quality, but hopefully they can find some momentum now. How dearly I would love Lucas and Mitchell to replace Simpson and Hampson and play solid games, but I guess it might not happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012 Peter Jackson VFL

Fixture Results Ladder Competition Statistics Reports Round Summary
Round 15
  • Sat 7/Jul 1:10 PM
    Geelong Cats
    21.13-139
    Box Hill Hawks
    13.10-88​
  • Sun 8/Jul 2:00 PM
    Williamstown
    16.22-118
    Collingwood
    11.4-70​
    Casey Scorpions
    18.10-118
    Port Melbourne
    17.7-109​
    North Ballarat
    11.8-74
    Bendigo
    15.10-100​

Frankston
10.9-69

def. by
2:00 PM / Sun 8/Jul​
Frankston Oval (Map)

Northern Blues
18.9-117​

Detailed ResultsSelected TeamsMatch Reports
Official Match Report

Report on R Warnock, for engaging in rough conduct on M Viney

What are everyone's thoughts on White making it back in to the seniors? For me, Watson has got to go. like his work 1 on 1 but gets killed on the lead. Possibly drop Watson for White in a few weeks time once he's fully match fit? Or is White too much like Jamison in terms of their negating roles whereas Watson can attack.

Dinger Bell's game cannot be overlooked here. Be watching him closely from now on. I understand Frankston are the wooden-spooners (along with their inbred, cro-magnum followers) but he was unbelievable yesterday, particularly in the second half. His shoulders would actually rival Fev's in width. A real phone-box, battering ram with ball-skills and nouse. Needs coaching, needs watching.

Or is White too much like Jamison in terms of their negating roles whereas Watson can attack.

I liken White to more a poor man's Laidler. Struggles to reach tall opponents but useful as a third defender. Would be competing with Bootsma and McInness, I think.

If he can play consistently on the VFL's #1 forward, he might just surprise and survive into 2013. The prolonged absences of Bower, Thornton and Russell suggest they're out of favour. A mature bodied depth player on minimum wage could keep his 35th spot on the list!

What are everyone's thoughts on White making it back in to the seniors? For me, Watson has got to go. like his work 1 on 1 but gets killed on the lead. Possibly drop Watson for White in a few weeks time once he's fully match fit? Or is White too much like Jamison in terms of their negating roles whereas Watson can attack.

White would have been a very handy inclusion for us over the last couple of months due to his ability to play back and forward. If he can get a few more games under his belt and his form is good enough, then I think he would be a handy addition to the team approaching september.

White is ok but is undersized for a key position and I recall him being done on leads plenty of leads, Jack Riewoldt being one who touched him up well and propper. Watson has been pretty good and is only getting better. I don't see what we gain by playing White ahead of Watson, especially in terms of developing a good young player.

To be honest we have a list loaded with defenders and it's going to make it tough for white to get a game unless he stars as a forward. Thornton, Casboult and Mitchell will be competing for a spot with him there. Perhaps White could fit in when we play a team with a tall forward line with 3 talls he could play as the third, at least he is physical unlike Bower who is great at playing half back and getting plenty of the ball but has 0 physical presence, doesn't read the play and gets done on leads for too often. IMO White is going to have to play out of his skin to break into the side but he will have to do it as a tall forward or as a third tall defender. TBH I feel a mini-clean out coming at years end and he's going to have to really earn his spot in these last few weeks.

Dinger Bell's game cannot be overlooked here. Be watching him closely from now on. I understand Frankston are the wooden-spooners (along with their inbred, cro-magnum followers) but he was unbelievable yesterday, particularly in the second half. His shoulders would actually rival Fev's in width. A real phone-box, battering ram with ball-skills and nouse. Needs coaching, needs watching.

Holy crap -

He is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back