The Official Speculation about who goes out for Chappy thread (merged)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mike Sheahan on the one to go for Chapman

Greetings all. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I posted the following on the Polls board and would like to know what you think. Keeping in mind that I have come to this conclusion based on the fact that Thompson said that Varcoe is safe (and I think he may have said Wojcinski is safe too?). Apologies if I am rehashing old points of discussion:

I think Hunt is the odd man out. Geelong's best back six would probably look something along the lines of:

Harley - Scarlett - Milburn
Enright - Taylor - Mackie

and I think Rooke is perfectly capable of filling any void that Hunt would leave. Honestly speaking I think Hunt is the only player in that team who you could label a VFL player, and on the news tonight they suggested that Mark Thompson has already told the player who will miss that they won't be getting a game (should Chapman come up). Hunt is the most logical answer for me.

Wouldn't have thought we'd be messing with the defenders too much, especially against the Hawks. Unlikely.

I have been told that it is Tom Lonergan!

you got a source?

in my view i think it will be one of kelly or stokes who gets told BUT, if its raining on the day id expect a late change and for one of those to come in for lonergan. Another solution is if its dry then ottens plays more as a forward and blake has more game time in the ruck

My last and only solution and i bet no one has thought about or mentioned this but what about milburn to centre half forward and mooney to full forward and lonergan out??? milburn has played kp forward before and it wouldnt suprise me at all, wouldnt even suprise me if harry wondered down forward.

Milburn played poorly last week as a defender and was dragged and sat on the bench for the rest of the 1st quarter, i watch him a bit and he plays very loose and backs himself so it wouldnt suprise me if the back 6 was

Hunt Scarlett Harley
Mackie Taylor Enright

and milburn at chf

you got a source?

in my view i think it will be one of kelly or stokes who gets told BUT, if its raining on the day id expect a late change and for one of those to come in for lonergan. Another solution is if its dry then ottens plays more as a forward and blake has more game time in the ruck

My last and only solution and i bet no one has thought about or mentioned this but what about milburn to centre half forward and mooney to full forward and lonergan out??? milburn has played kp forward before and it wouldnt suprise me at all, wouldnt even suprise me if harry wondered down forward.

Milburn played poorly last week as a defender and was dragged and sat on the bench for the rest of the 1st quarter, i watch him a bit and he plays very loose and backs himself so it wouldnt suprise me if the back 6 was

Hunt Scarlett Harley
Mackie Taylor Enright

and milburn at chf

I highly doubt it. Taylor hasn't been forward all season and I can't see Dash going to CHF because you really can't mess around going into a GF.

I highly doubt it. Taylor hasn't been forward all season and I can't see Dash going to CHF because you really can't mess around going into a GF.
Not as crazy as it sounds. Dash didn't play against the Hawks last time, and he has been used as a CHF before with reasonable success.

Could be a masterstroke, Adam Hunter style - especially if Bomber doesn't have a match up for him in defense.

Not bad shake and bake.

Re: Who goes out for Chappy next week?

Sorry to intrude....

I think it will be lonergan.
Surely Bommer wouldnt be that heartless

I would like to think if the decision was made it was someone who played last year

Speaking of which did anyone catch before the game - Lehmo basically came out and said Bomber should drop Blake just for a laugh......I would of decked the SOB if he was next to me!! What a FKNMoron!!

Sorry to intrude....

Surely Bommer wouldnt be that heartless

I would like to think if the decision was made it was someone who played last year

Speaking of which did anyone catch before the game - Lehmo basically came out and said Bomber should drop Blake just for a laugh......I would of decked the SOB if he was next to me!! What a FKNMoron!!

The only thing I agree with is that Lehmo is a moron..

But since when is there room for sentimentality in football?? If Lonergan stays in simply because what he's been through and because he didnt play last year...THAT would be an absolute joke. Even Lonergan himself would understand if he were dropped. This is about winning, not a popularity contest and there would have been plenty of players more unlucky than Lonergan to miss a Grand Final. Dont forget he DID play in the VFL Grand Final last year...Blake missed out on anything!!

Having said that, he wont be dropped becuase he is part of our game structure.

Re: Unlucky Cat aware of fate: Thompson

I reckon it should be wojinski. I think we can cover his run through Mackie and enright from the backline.
Kelly has had a great year and just adds such depth and a tough body to our midfield.
Stokes played a ripper against Collingwood last year in a tough, physical contest like Sat will be. Although he's out of form, he adds a dimension to our forward line.
Varcoe played too well on fri to be dropped.
Lonergan needs to play if only to provide a tall target up forward.

I will be shattered if stokes or kelly are dropped, i just think we can cover wojinski to a better effect.

come on, i thought sumone would have a clear answer here, everyone guessing, wojo only played one game since rd 15 yeah?,, we need stokes, hes that little guy who comes from no where and sneaks his 3 to 4 goals. its got to b a centre player, = kelly wojo. lonegan no way, we need tht tall 4ward factor, wet or not.he helps mooney out.stokes and chappy work well down forward........centre players ......selwood, ablett, bartel,corey, enright and either woosha or kelly, so its got to one of them to go.the backline is solid, wont change. big call, but i think woooooshaaaa:)

Id be absolutely amazed, personally, if Wojcinski is dropped. The way Hawthorn play - the so called 'rolling zone' it is essential we have someone like Wojcinski up our sleeve, someone with the leg speed capable of breaking the lines. This is something that noone else in the team provides, not even Mackie, who is good in space, but not in close.

I like many, would say Varcoe is the one who SHOULD go. I am slightly perplexed how Thompson has said he would definitely, sure he played well on Fri night but how could he be a certainty over Kelly and to some extent Stokes, who have put runs on the board ALL season

Here's how I see it

Kelly - must play - strong body - important to midfield rotations
Wojcinski - must play - as stated
Taylor - should play - tall defender - capable of going to Roughy or Buddy
Varcoe - will play but shouldnt - but has defensive pressure which is apparently highly rated
Lonergan - lucky to play but should
Stokes - unlucky but the only viable option to miss - Chapman plays his position

All bets that for the big training session this week Blake will run out for two seconds, go back in, spend the rest of the week avoiding staircases, transport, black cats and generally anything which can cause injury.

Think of the roar when Wojo runs from the back flank to kick a goal on the run from fitty! Must play!

Seriously, the thought of Lonergan being dropped and allowing chappy or johnno to play out of the square with varcoe and stokes around their feet is appealing to me more and more by the day. Have to wait and see though, no doubt whoever is dropped is terribly unlucky.

better not be stokesy... grrr

dunno y got a feeling that unfortunately itll be lonergan.
Why cant it be Stokes? He has been average.

Lonergon has been playing better than Stokes also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is so tough! Last year we thought it was a hard decision with King>Blake, but all of a sudden that decision seems like a walk in the park. So many intersting points already mentioned, perhaps the selectors should look at our poll! I have a gut feeling it might be Stokes left out. It would be a pity, but with the injury cloud over his head, he seems the most obvious choice - small forward for a small forward.

Whoever it is, our thoughts are with you!

If Stokes or Kelly gets dropped it just doesn't seem right. They have had far better seasons then Varcoe. I have nothing against Trav; he was good against the Bulldogs and will only get better next year but surely choosing him against Stokes is just weird. Same with Kelly; he is such a big game player. Was excellent last finals series.

Last year wasn't hard, but it was indeed harsh.
This is just straight up hard.
My money is leaning towards Stokes missing out. Very harsh indeed.
Please don't mess with the backline, swap like for like players.

Im pretty sure it is matthew stokes.
Unlucky that o.p has struck him down the past month but is a straight swap 4 chapman position wise....
anyone else heard this?

Im pretty sure it is matthew stokes.
Unlucky that o.p has struck him down the past month but is a straight swap 4 chapman position wise....
anyone else heard this?

Agreed, my feeling is that it will be Stokes due to him carrying an injury which has obviously hindered his performance in the last few weeks.

To me the fact that the player who's going to miss out already knew early in the week indicates that they must have an injury, otherwise why would the coaching staff make the decision so early, why not use the week to make their judegement.

Stokes.

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is.

- As Thompson said, 'team balance'. Small forward in, small forward out.
- It's highly unlikely Geelong will go in without two key forwards. Otto resting isn't nearly as effective if we don't have two other talls, and Geelong aren't going to screw so heavily with their structure at this point. Played with two KPFs all year. Will this week too.
- Varcoe has been confirmed by Thompson.
- Kelly is in Geelong's best 22 without a doubt, and now he's back, he's not going out again.
- Wojak is in Geelong's best 22, as Balme has said. Now he's back, it's also unlikely he will go out. A lot of people also think his run is important against Hawks, and an extra defender won't go astray. This is really the only one where opinion comes into it in any real measure, but given below, I think it's likely...

And the big one...
- You don't take a player to the big dance that is not fully fit.
. Chapman = fully fit (if he passes)
. Stokes = O.P. (we think), ie not fully fit

He's the only one carrying an injury (that we know of). Thompson won't pick him.

And the big one...
- You don't take a player to the big dance that is not fully fit.
. Chapman = fully fit (if he passes)
. Stokes = O.P. (we think), ie not fully fit

He's the only one carrying an injury (that we know of). Thompson won't pick him.

All good points.

So.........what happens if Chapman doesn't come up?
Does gamble replace stokes?........or Byrnes?

Or are you saying stokes will play with OP if chappy can't make it? Would be strange

All good points.

So.........what happens if Chapman doesn't come up?
Does gamble replace stokes?........or Byrnes?

Or are you saying stokes will play with OP if chappy can't make it? Would be strange

If Chapman doesn't come up, then maybe he'd stay. Obviously I've got as good an idea as the bin next to me. But keeping Stokes in that case would nullify all my first points, as there wouldn't be a forced change, and balance/small forward would remain. If he wasn't fit enough to play, they'd just put him out-injured.

On the fitness issue, it might be a case of Stokes being fine (good enough) to play otherwise, but obviously having to make way for someone 'fitter' (Chapman). Where otherwise Stokes would simply remain in the team and play with injections. They're only saying there will be an unlucky player 'if Chapman comes up', and Gamble/B****/etc haven't got any match fitness (VFL/AFL), so Stokes would have to be very poor to miss - and he isn't.

Anyway, it sucks either way. Love Stokes.

Hmm.... :confused:

Cats' fire stoked

GREY MORRIS

September 24th, 2008

Mathew Stokes says Geelong is primed for grand final showdown. Picture: Michael Klein

GEELONG and former Palmerston utility Mathew Stokes has promised a more focused Cats side for Saturday's AFL Grand Final against Hawthorn.

Geelong won its 23rd game from 24 matches this season when it beat the Western Bulldogs in last Friday's preliminary final.

But while the 29-point win earned them a chance at the club's first back-to-back flags since 1951-52, Stokes said there was room for improvement.

"We struggled a little bit because it was a preliminary final and the Dogs played very well," he said.

"We probably didn't handle the way the game was played too well, but the good thing about our team is we don't always have to be on our game 100 per cent to win."

"You just have to find a way to win and that's what we did."

"This week we know it's the biggest game of the season and there is no tomorrow."

"I think you'll see a lot better Geelong side out there this week."

Stokes said the players were a lot more relaxed and calmer than 12 months ago when the Cats were preparing for their first grand final since 1995.

"Last year we were going into the unknown and didn't know what to expect," he said.

"But this time we know the preparation required, the quality of the opposition and what is at stake so things are a lot calmer around the club."

Stokes is confident he will line up on Saturday despite one player from the 22 having to make way for comeback Cat Paul Chapman.

"I'd say I'll be there, but we won't know until later in the week," he said.

Another product of the NT Thunder underage program, Stokes played his 50th AFL game against St Kilda in the qualifying final.

It was a milestone he noted before taking the next step towards something he wants as badly as another premiership medallion - 100 games.

"I didn't look too much into the 50th even though it was a milestone I never thought I'd never get to a couple of years ago," he said.

"It was just another game and it was good to reach, but I'm looking a lot more towards my 100th game."

While he's not categorical about it, it does make me question whether it is actually going to be him as I thought it would be...

Does anyone else find it strange that Bomber is keeping Varcoe in? Was surprised he stated on Saturday that he'd definately play....

Other than last week he hasn't had played *that* well and I would have thought it was an easy decision - Chappy in, Varcoe out.

I initially thought that maybe Woj would miss out but if Stokes isn't 100% it'll be him for sure.

if Stokes does know though, he isn't going to come out and say it to the newspapers though; I imagine Bomber wouldn't be too pleased about that :p

Its good that Bomber has been straight up with the players. I was worried this would be some form of distraction, but it seems he has been pretty honest with whoever they plan on dropping.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official Speculation about who goes out for Chappy thread (merged)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back