The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Was having a discussion with Zidane98 about what is shown after a automated VAR offside decision. In the Argentina v Morocco Olympics game there was a late goal that was chalked off. There were three shots and two headers in the goal scramble and all we got was this crappy graphic.

1721876201223.png

From 7:36

Was having a discussion with Zidane98 about what is shown after a automated VAR offside decision. In the Argentina v Morocco Olympics game there was a late goal that was chalked off. There were three shots and two headers in the goal scramble and all we got was this crappy graphic.

View attachment 2058226

I don't think you are understanding the concept of semi auto offside at all.

It doesn't rely on a VAR operator drawing lines on a video replay at all.

Through sensors in the ball and a host of cameras dedicated to tracking all players on the pitch it can accurately determine the position of all players on the pitch at the precise moment the ball is kicked.

That information is all that is needed for offside. That's why a computer graphic is shown. Not a difficult concept to understand. The only variables needing human intervention are whether a ball was deflected / deliberate play and/or offside player active / inactive. These variables still need input from the VAR operator.

Linesman will be trained to not raise their flag until the attacking phase is over.

View attachment 2058226

Not quite sure what you're struggling with. This is like saying that goal line technology isn't using the right frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you are understanding the concept of semi auto offside at all.

It doesn't rely on a VAR operator drawing lines on a video replay at all.

Through sensors in the ball and a host of cameras dedicated to tracking all players on the pitch it can accurately determine the position of all players on the pitch at the precise moment the ball is kicked.

That information is all that is needed for offside. That's why a computer graphic is shown. Not a difficult concept to understand. The only variables needing human intervention are whether a ball was deflected / deliberate play and/or offside player active / inactive. These variables still need input from the VAR operator.

Linesman will be trained to not raise their flag until the attacking phase is over.

You've gone into Zidbot mode again. For about the 5th time I'm saying there needs to be more transparency of the VAR call so everyone - coaches, players, fans - understand how it was offside. It's different to goal line technology where it's obvious which shot might have crossed the line. As I said, in the goalmouth scramble there were three shots and two headers. Which player was offside? We can't tell who those players in the graphic are and we can't see which player made the pass or the timing of it.

You've gone into Zidbot mode again. For about the 5th time I'm saying there needs to be more transparency of the VAR call so everyone - coaches, players, fans - understand how it was offside. It's different to goal line technology where it's obvious which shot might have crossed the line. As I said, in the goalmouth scramble there were three shots and two headers. Which player was offside? We can't tell who those players in the graphic are and we can't see which player made the pass or the timing of it.

I can't help you if you continually fail to grasp the understanding of how semi automatic offside works. It is as accurate as goal line technology. If you bothered to actually look into and understand how the system works you would have the answers to all of the questions you have posed about an offside call. Someone that doesn't want to know can't be helped so there's no point discussing it further.

Players having contracts terminated, training ground closed etc etc.

Interesting to see what FIFA does here with regards to their contracts being paid out.

They also built a brand new 42,000 seat stadium in 2015. I guess rugby is big down that way so it'll get use from that for now on.

I can't help you if you continually fail to grasp the understanding of how semi automatic offside works. It is as accurate as goal line technology. If you bothered to actually look into and understand how the system works you would have the answers to all of the questions you have posed about an offside call. Someone that doesn't want to know can't be helped so there's no point discussing it further.

Clearly there's no point discussing it further with you because your bot ignores everything I say. For the umpteenth time I'm not questioning how semi-automated VAR offside works. I'm highlighting the poor images we are shown that fail to properly explain how a certain play was offside. Three shots followed by two headers in the Argentina v Morocco incident. We don't know which players are in the graphic so we don't know who was offside, who played the ball and when.

Clearly there's no point discussing it further with you because your bot ignores everything I say. For the umpteenth time I'm not questioning how semi-automated VAR offside works. I'm highlighting the poor images we are shown that fail to properly explain how a certain play was offside. Three shots followed by two headers in the Argentina v Morocco incident. We don't know which players are in the graphic so we don't know who was offside, who played the ball and when.

Do we need to know? If you have no issue with how it works then you trust the process so who cares?

You can see the players shirt numbers in the image. From the position they are on the pitch you also know they are. There were a number of shots but only really one possible offside.

They can probably do a better job of still showing the side angle replays like they always used to but that’s down to the production companies and broadcasters and nothing to do with the technology.

You can see the players shirt numbers in the image. From the position they are on the pitch you also know they are. There were a number of shots but only really one possible offside.

They can probably do a better job of still showing the side angle replays like they always used to but that’s down to the production companies and broadcasters and nothing to do with the technology.

Sometimes the image doesn't include the player numbers. In this one we get the usual very low res generated image of a Moroccan defender wearing number 4 with an Argentinian on the far side of him who might be number 6 or 8.

I believe it was all classed as one phase of play. Breaking it down -

Shot no. 1 from the edge of the area. There's possibly two Argentinian players in offside positions. But the Morocco number 4 is not the deepest defender.
Shot no. 2, there's possibly an Argentinian offside but again it looks like the Morocco number 4 is not the deepest defender.
Shot no. 3 the shooter is onside. Possibly two Argentinian players in offside positions. Morocco number 4 is the deepest defender so I'm guessing that's what the VAR image shows.
Header no. 1. One of the possibly offside players heads it onto the bar.
Header no. 2. The other possibly offside player puts the ball in the net.

I'm not claiming the decision was wrong but it should be clear to coaches and fans how the decision was made without them having to stop and start their own video. If VAR made better information available to the broadcasters then they would show it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back