The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs.

Like Deledio his development suffered being made to play off a hbf by the coach (even though he wasn't as good) but that's not his fault. Because people on BF have the memory of goldfish and you're only as good as your last season he's been one of the most bagged players on here and there's been a perception he's soft and can't play midfield.

If he has a great season playing in the midfield I won't be surprised because he's proven himself there in the past and been good. He's also now pushing towards his peak as a player.

Shane Edwards is the obvious candidate from Richmond.

In fairness, Edwards was a total spud for years when he was played as a midfielder or half back. Played well after a change of role last year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now maybe Westhoff? He's certainly no superstar but he's not the spud most people outside of Port think he is.

Yep, even within our supporter base.

Apparently being 199cm tall means you must have the shoulders of Matthew Primus or you're a flaky hack. Now that the supporter base has finally gotten over the fact that he's fine the size that he is and that his agility is an asset, I think his reputation will start to swing around. Especially under Hinkley and Burgess.

Has been mentioned, but it is Jake King for us. Even from Richmond supporters I hear all the time that he has a 'lack of skill but makes up for it with his intensity/desire' etc. This is not true, King is really agile and has some serious smarts when he is around the ball in the forward half. Yes he is a maniac and yes he did used to butcher the ball when he played off half back but to say he lacks talent and only gets by through work ethic is severely misjudging him.

Edwards, King and Vickery for us, as has already been mentioned.

Another one is Conca, will be a bloody excellent player, just a shame that he'll be always and invariably drawn to comparison with Heppell, who I think will be an elite player sooner rather than later.

Dawson. He's no star but when opposition talk about him it's usually to laugh at what a huge spud he is, and this is very far from the truth.

This. Last year it was Adam McPhee (many of our supporters were guilty of this).

LRT has owned this thread for a few years though, people don't tend to rate ungainly looking players.

LRT has owned this thread for a few years though, people don't tend to rate ungainly looking players.
I love LRT, always rated him. Same with Ted Richards who some people seem to bag.
But yes looks can play a surprised part in how you react to certain players. Jake King is kind of weird looking and has a strangely proportioned body, Mick Barlow with his duck waddle couldn't get drafted. I know I find it difficult to appreciate anything Milne does because he just looks like an evil little man.
As for Dawson he is an extremely effective negating, close checking defender but he is a terrible offensive footballer. His kicking is deplorable, and he is clumsy. But he obviously has superb concentration, is highly disciplined and does whatever he is told to do all day. Set and forget. Easy to understand though why people who are looking for a cheap laugh see him as a soft target.

finished second in our B&F all within his first two seasons

That says more about Essendon's list than his ability.

He's a very good kick, and can find space well. He's far too much of an outside player, though, and hasn't improved since his first year.

Remove this Banner Ad

The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back