Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...ral-mps-as-leadership-pressure-grows/10117246

https://thewest.com.au/opinion/gary...e-this-newspaper-calls-it-a-day-ng-b88925714z

Ned Flanders says that mainstream media isn't important, mainstream media threatens not to attend his press conferences etc. and a tiff ensues.

Not quite WA Inc, let's be honest.
Well he's not wrong. I stopped watching news and reading newspapers years ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one. ****, doesn't the mainstream media all of a sudden get a kilo of sand in their y fronts if someone has the temerity to suggest they're in a sunset industry? Something Murdoch himself has stated years ago.

I stopped reading Adshead's patronising response when he thought it'd be appropriate to quote John Cleese from the dead parrot sketch in order to try and make a serious point.

Well he's not wrong. I stopped watching news and reading newspapers years ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one. ****, doesn't the mainstream media all of a sudden get a kilo of sand in their y fronts if someone has the temerity to suggest they're in a sunset industry? Something Murdoch himself has stated years ago.

I stopped reading Adshead's patronising response when he thought it'd be appropriate to quote John Cleese from the dead parrot sketch in order to try and make a serious point.

Still a pretty dumb move in a one paper town. 7 West Media is pretty powerful in WA and even though mainstream media is on the decline I wouldn't want to be baiting them if I was a horrendously unpopular opposition leader.

Still a pretty dumb move in a one paper town. 7 West Media is pretty powerful in WA and even though mainstream media is on the decline I wouldn't want to be baiting them if I was a horrendously unpopular opposition leader.
Yep being honest almost always seems to be a dumb move if you're a politician. I guess that's why we don't see it very often.

He'd have to be one of the most anonymous opposition leaders in recent memory, too. Not a good move to put the only state paper offside.
Being anonymous isn't that important 18 months into four years of opposition. Opposition is tough and you have to time your run.

His point would be more valid if the by-election win he was trumpeting wasn't caused by revelations made by the West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sitting in judgement because I don’t know the circumstances or what they have in place but how do old people with dementia even have the opportunity to go missing - “they went out for a walk”. There should some sort of monitor/tracker inserted below the skin when they are first diagnosed so that we can track them in these situations.

I’m not sitting in judgement because I don’t know the circumstances or what they have in place but how do old people with dementia even have the opportunity to go missing - “they went out for a walk”. There should some sort of monitor/tracker inserted below the skin when they are first diagnosed so that we can track them in these situations.
Also, some sort of number tattooed on them.

Also, some sort of number tattooed on them.

Not sure why that suggestion would cause you to arc up, there was no ill will behind it, although I realise it’s extremeky invasive. There’s been a few elderly with dementia go missing lately and it would be ideal if with the push of a button we could do the whole “find my phone” on them. I would of suggested a bracelet or similar but no guarantees they would be wearing it.

Was just part of a police chase. On my way to work and saw a cop running along the road in the rain, no car in sight. Thought wtf? Saw the fella he was chasing about 100m ahead so I pulled over and asked Mr Plod if he needed a lift. He said yep, jumped in, I threw the shift into sports mode and floored it. :D Bloke ran off into some bushes. Cop jumped out and went after him on foot again. Pretty surreal start to the morning.

Last edited:
Was just part of a police chase. On my way to work and saw a cop running along the road in the rain, no car in sight. Thought wtf? Saw the fella he was chasing about 100m ahead so pulled over and asked him if he needed a lift. He said yep, jumped in, I threw the shift into sports mode and floored it. :D Bloke ran off into some bushes. Cop jumped out and went after him on foot again. Pretty surreal start to the morning.

that's cool

where?

Was just part of a police chase. On my way to work and saw a cop running along the road in the rain, no car in sight. Thought wtf? Saw the fella he was chasing about 100m ahead so pulled over and asked him if he needed a lift. He said yep, jumped in, I threw the shift into sports mode and floored it. :D Bloke ran off into some bushes. Cop jumped out and went after him on foot again. Pretty surreal start to the morning.

I had to read that a couple of times to realise you gave the cop a lift and not the bloke he was chasing.

you're batman

People with dementia are perfectly capable of achieving their goals, their bodies work, so their minds are frustrated and they are confused but they get the idea that someone or something they know is outside then they can do everything you can to get outside.

They don't handle discomfort well at all, if you think of how you'd feel if you were hurting and didn't know why, you might claw at the sore lump under your skin.

Then there is the caring. Its 24 hours a day. Dementia patients will sit down, then stand up and walk around unsure why they are doing it then sit down, but are suddenly compelled to stand up again. All through the day and night. They don't sleep and the dementia symptoms get worse, they finally settle and sleep then wake up and it's like they are almost themselves again, you've been caring for this family member and there's your little glimpse of them to power you through another 22 hour day of caring.

You're exhausted, you make mistakes and the dementia sufferer is compelled to see what's outside. Then they are gone.

Especially at night, you haven't heard the shuffling around the living room at 2am so you haven't woken up like usual to put them back in bed, you've slept the most you have in months and wake up to find them missing.

I don't envy anyone going through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back