Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

Once Vic gets the numbers down(they have) and keeps them there for a couple of weeks or so - or until the requirements put in place from the other states and territories are met - I think we will see border restrictions start to ease.

As long as the numbers stay down across all states and territories, I don't see how we can justify closed borders in WA for any length of time from that point on, definitely not until March next year.

The way things are looking, it would be reasonable to expect the border controls to be lifted significantly by Christmas.

I reckon the most likely person with their fingers and toes crossed in the hopes that the High Court rules with Palmer is McGowan himself. If the borders are forced open it takes all the pressure off him to have any sort of a plan himself.

They get forced open and anything happens he can just blame Palmer and the High Court and his approval will spike again.

Without High Court intervention there's no way McGowan can carry this for another 5 odd months.
100% this. Has backed himself into a corner and needs the external circuit breaker.
Clive should drop the case

Two year apprenticeships. Will be on less money when they're done. Current apprentices doing traditional 4 years are over the moon, not. Will spend the whole 2 years in Perth before being let loose on a site where they will be buddied up.

That’s interesting - is there any information anywhere on that

100% this. Has backed himself into a corner and needs the external circuit breaker.
Clive should drop the case

As much as I'd like him to drop it and put all the pressure back on McGowan, I reckon a lot of people would self harm, it would crush their hopes of seeing loved ones. I'm not talking older parents or adult children or siblings I'm talking partners and young children. A lot seemed to have pinned their hopes on Palmer's challenge being successful.

I can ride it out, I've got plenty of leave but there are a lot of people really in bad places at the moment.

The Kiwis.

How did they border hop? He said they had just shown up with no warning but the WA Deputy Health Officer said they had actually applied for the G2G exemptions before they came over and the WA Police Commissioner said 17 had applied prior for their G2G passes. Now, whether or not they were approved is another story, McGowan may not have been informed but WA authorities certainly knew they were on their way.

It was a nice excuse to keep WA at stage 4 for another couple of months anyway.

I actually agree with McGowan and the other states who didn't sign up for the bubble, it's a dog's breakfast.

Yep, I visit regularly and those exemptions for states and territories other than Victoria have remained virtually unchanged since July.

It's not as easy as you seem to think it is. When was the last time you applied for an exemption to enter WA?

It's easy if it's for genuine reasons. For obvious reasons I haven't applied myself for an exemption but anecdotally speaking:

- Friend 1's boyfriend wants to come over to see girlfriend - not for work purposes - rejected.
- Friend 2's husband found work here - sponsored by work - accepted on first instance.
- Friend 3 wants to return from Canberra to see healthy parents - rejected.

I sympathise with your situation but from what we've seen in the news about New Zealanders, the resource companies, fast-tracking of people to pick fruit etc there are plenty of scenarios where the WA government will let you in.

It's easy if it's for genuine reasons. For obvious reasons I haven't applied myself for an exemption but anecdotally speaking:

- Friend 1's boyfriend wants to come over to see girlfriend - not for work purposes - rejected.
- Friend 2's husband found work here - sponsored by work - accepted on first instance.
- Friend 3 wants to return from Canberra to see healthy parents - rejected.

I sympathise with your situation but from what we've seen in the news about New Zealanders, the resource companies, fast-tracking of people to pick fruit etc there are plenty of scenarios where the WA government will let you in.

My situation is fine, I'll be home in less than 2 weeks and I'll be staying home until things have eased.

Although Scott Morrison made it a point to single out WA from the national roadmap to reopen by Christmas, possibly for political purposes, it would not surprise me one bit - and would enjoy widespread support in WA - if McGowan relents and reopens earlier than planned if Victoria get under 5 cases a day for the next two weeks and starts easing - and makes the reopening contingent on successful elimination all over Australia.

I think all of us here, whether we support the border closure or not, or whether we are from WA or not, want to see all of Australia become like New Zealand - effectively normal life as long as we keep the international border strong.

Sanity at Garden City looks like it’s finally bitten the dust.
Vale, it’s disappeared of their website as well. kinda surprised it didn’t happen at least 5 years ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My situation is fine, I'll be home in less than 2 weeks and I'll be staying home until things have eased.

and maybe it’s time all eastern state fifo blokes that have been stuck here did the same thing - go home at Christmas and not come back

Watch how fast things change when mining is impacted by lack of staff and they need to slow or stop production

I went to Galleria today for the first time in a long time and saw they had gone. In saying that I was surprised at how many shops have shut their doors.

I imagine during the shut down that of shopping centres hadn’t come to the party then the rent alone would of sunk a lot of businesses

I know someone who works in Canberra but husband and kids are still based here and she has attempted to get back to visit and been rejected three times. ACT has been free of any transmission for months and this imo is where it’s wrong as there’s no valid reason whatsoever for not allowing the exemption

and maybe it’s time all eastern state fifo blokes that have been stuck here did the same thing - go home at Christmas and not come back

Watch how fast things change when mining is impacted by lack of staff and they need to slow or stop production

I mentioned earlier in the thread about our heavy vehicle w'shop having around 30 fitters from Qld in it, it turns out that 48% of the staff in the w'shop are from states other than WA and countries other than Australia.

I'm in a fortunate position with a permanent role and leave entitlements, also my employer will pay for my quarantine period and all associated costs. They will also grant me one week of discretionary leave and I have to use one week of my own leave for the two week quarantine period. None of us are stuck here, we can get on a plane at anytime we like and go home, the problem is with the ones that don't have leave for a rainy day or are contractors, they go home and they don't get paid, they come back they have to fund their own quarantine or their company just tells them if they go home they forfeit their jobs. Other companies now, after telling their workers that they could go home at Christmas after 8 or 9 months away, are demanding they stay until at least February because they can't get the labour to back fill for them.

Some WA firms are advertising over east for tradespeople for 3 to 4 month periods to cover the Christmas / New Years when everyone wants to go home. Some of the offers I've seen are for $70 per hour on a 2/1 roster and they'll pay all expenses while you're in Perth on r&r for that week. They want people for at least 3 months. Another one is $75,000 for 4 months on a 2/1 and a $5,000 bonus if they stay the 4 months. If you want to relocate they will do everything and pay for everything, you just pack your clothes and jump on a plane. They'll even organise you're exemption for you. Other blokes are reporting getting offered $10k and $20k spotters fees if they can find a tradie and they stay for 6 months.

Places are struggling big time. I'll be interested to see what happens over Christmas / New Years. The big contractors are struggling for shutdown crews too. If anyone maybe wants to get their foot in the door, give someone like Monadelphous a call, they're screaming for people and not necessarily just tradies.

Sanity is still around? I haven't seen one since the one at Gateways went kaput probably 10 years ago.

Serious question for eagle supporters

went to the AFL shop today to buy the brother something for his birthday - is the range different at the actual eagles shop because the polo’s they had were awful - you wouldn’t surely be caught dead wearing that colour blue or the styles. Whatever happened to just a navy polo with the eagles logo embroidered on it

Serious question for eagle supporters

went to the AFL shop today to buy the brother something for his birthday - is the range different at the actual eagles shop because the polo’s they had were awful - you wouldn’t surely be caught dead wearing that colour blue or the styles. Whatever happened to just a navy polo with the eagles logo embroidered on it

Yeah hit up the team store at Lathlain for a bigger range of apparel

Rumour is we might be about to change shirt makers from ISC to someone else, so you might find choices are limited as they run down old stock in preparation for moving to the new one.

Has there even been an AFL polo at any club in recent years that didn't look sh*t and covered with sponsors?
The couple of shirts I have were presents; the 2006 premiership shirt is a classy affair, dark blue polo, bit of yellow in the collar and a small logo and cup. The one bought this year is bright blue, sponsors in large type, would wear it to a game but probably not otherwise.

Has there even been an AFL polo at any club in recent years that didn't look sh*t and covered with sponsors?

I liked ours - was a grey polo with a thin gold band on the collar and a discrete sized logo on the breast

I see now they are just back to the brown one

I'm not convinced that border reopening will receive major support by Christmas even if case numbers remain on the same trajectory. ABC radio is full of middle aged women still crying for borders to remain without any basis.

The amount of people who say "I don't want to give up our freedoms" (even though by saying that they are advocating for restrictions on peoples freedom to visit friends or loved ones) or "We will end up like Europe" when asked about even lifting borders with other COVID free states is just scary. So many misinformed and scared people out there and I think some of the blame has to fall on McGowan. Some people need to be reminded that Melbourne is in Victoria, not Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back