Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

The couple of shirts I have were presents; the 2006 premiership shirt is a classy affair, dark blue polo, bit of yellow in the collar and a small logo and cup. The one bought this year is bright blue, sponsors in large type, would wear it to a game but probably not otherwise.
The quality of the ISC polos have been terrible compared to what Puma offered.

I'm not convinced that border reopening will receive major support by Christmas even if case numbers remain on the same trajectory. ABC radio is full of middle aged women still crying for borders to remain without any basis.

The amount of people who say "I don't want to give up our freedoms" (even though by saying that they are advocating for restrictions on peoples freedom to visit friends or loved ones) or "We will end up like Europe" when asked about even lifting borders with other COVID free states is just scary. So many misinformed and scared people out there and I think some of the blame has to fall on McGowan. Some people need to be reminded that Melbourne is in Victoria, not Florida.

The couple of shirts I have were presents; the 2006 premiership shirt is a classy affair, dark blue polo, bit of yellow in the collar and a small logo and cup. The one bought this year is bright blue, sponsors in large type, would wear it to a game but probably not otherwise.

I've got a 2005 Puma polo. Has aged better than most things from 2005.

Don't mind the royal blue blue the ISC polos look a bit cheap and nasty.

The quality of the ISC polos have been terrible compared to what Puma offered.
feels like they’ve gotten worse, bought a new one a few weeks back (thanks to being put on sale at the Freo team store) and surprised me how thin the material on the shirt is compared to the one I got ~ 5 years back

I mentioned earlier in the thread about our heavy vehicle w'shop having around 30 fitters from Qld in it, it turns out that 48% of the staff in the w'shop are from states other than WA and countries other than Australia.

I'm in a fortunate position with a permanent role and leave entitlements, also my employer will pay for my quarantine period and all associated costs. They will also grant me one week of discretionary leave and I have to use one week of my own leave for the two week quarantine period. None of us are stuck here, we can get on a plane at anytime we like and go home, the problem is with the ones that don't have leave for a rainy day or are contractors, they go home and they don't get paid, they come back they have to fund their own quarantine or their company just tells them if they go home they forfeit their jobs. Other companies now, after telling their workers that they could go home at Christmas after 8 or 9 months away, are demanding they stay until at least February because they can't get the labour to back fill for them.

Some WA firms are advertising over east for tradespeople for 3 to 4 month periods to cover the Christmas / New Years when everyone wants to go home. Some of the offers I've seen are for $70 per hour on a 2/1 roster and they'll pay all expenses while you're in Perth on r&r for that week. They want people for at least 3 months. Another one is $75,000 for 4 months on a 2/1 and a $5,000 bonus if they stay the 4 months. If you want to relocate they will do everything and pay for everything, you just pack your clothes and jump on a plane. They'll even organise you're exemption for you. Other blokes are reporting getting offered $10k and $20k spotters fees if they can find a tradie and they stay for 6 months.

Places are struggling big time. I'll be interested to see what happens over Christmas / New Years. The big contractors are struggling for shutdown crews too. If anyone maybe wants to get their foot in the door, give someone like Monadelphous a call, they're screaming for people and not necessarily just tradies.

And this is where it gets complex. Pre-COVID, I have found - across the board on sites in WA - it an all too common occurrence where there will be at minimum 30% and upwards of as much as 70% of people on the job who will be from the eastern states or o/s.

Clearly an untenable and frankly, unacceptable, situation and no doubt many WA based employees in the industry would be feeling quite a bit of schadenfreude right now towards the greedy mega-corps who have eschewed the traditional approach of training up workers(apprenticeships etc) and/or relocating them from outside of WA and requiring them to live in the state in lieu of the quick cash grab - the chickens are now coming home to roost.

And that is not to diminish the plight of anyone from the eastern states. I don't blame them one bit. But hopefully, in the future, this will lead to a bit of a wake-up call in the industry(and a lot of WA workers who became very complacent during the boom) and we see more apprenticeships and more upskilling of local, state based workers - as it should be everywhere in the nation.

McGowan is making noises to that effect so he gets a big tick from me there.

And this is where it gets complex. Pre-COVID, I have found - across the board on sites in WA - it an all too common occurrence where there will be at minimum 30% and upwards of as much as 70% of people on the job who will be from the eastern states or o/s.

Clearly an untenable and frankly, unacceptable, situation and no doubt many WA based employees in the industry would be feeling quite a bit of schadenfreude right now towards the greedy mega-corps who have eschewed the traditional approach of training up workers(apprenticeships etc) and/or relocating them from outside of WA and requiring them to live in the state in lieu of the quick cash grab - the chickens are now coming home to roost.

And that is not to diminish the plight of anyone from the eastern states. I don't blame them one bit. But hopefully, in the future, this will lead to a bit of a wake-up call in the industry(and a lot of WA workers who became very complacent during the boom) and we see more apprenticeships and more upskilling of local, state based workers - as it should be everywhere in the nation.

No arguments from me there. I would say there's probably a lot like me, I lived over here for 7 years and then moved back to Vic. Once I've had enough they'll just replace me with someone local, as they should.

The big companies won't train people in sufficient numbers because they're cheap. Why go to the expense when I can just offer a bit more money or a better roster and poach them from someone else, or cry poor to the Federal Government about not having enough skilled workers so importing them from overseas from countries who have invested time and money onto them and probably can't afford to lose them.

No arguments from me there. I would say there's probably a lot like me, I lived over here for 7 years and then moved back to Vic. Once I've had enough they'll just replace me with someone local, as they should.

The big companies won't train people in sufficient numbers because they're cheap. Why go to the expense when I can just offer a bit more money or a better roster and poach them from someone else, or cry poor to the Federal Government about not having enough skilled workers so importing them from overseas from countries who have invested time and money onto them and probably can't afford to lose them.

Sadly, I think you are correct. It could work if the governments collaborate with the companies and incentivise them enough to train people and/or permanently relocate to the respective states. And this includes, for example, people in Perth relocating to regional locales also.

At the moment there is a skilled labour shortage across WA in various industries from hospitality to professional services to your welders, fitters etc. There might be a large amount of unemployed still in the state, but these people will be largely unskilled, or they have come from an industry that is still suffering like the airline industry.
With no labour coming into the state and much of the available labour being sucked up by the resurgent mining industry, it isn't an easy fix. Any programs implemented by government to upskill locals will take up to 5 years to have any effect due to the time it takes to do an apprenticeship or get a degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment there is a skilled labour shortage across WA in various industries from hospitality to professional services to your welders, fitters etc. There might be a large amount of unemployed still in the state, but these people will be largely unskilled, or they have come from an industry that is still suffering like the airline industry.
With no labour coming into the state and much of the available labour being sucked up by the resurgent mining industry, it isn't an easy fix. Any programs implemented by government to upskill locals will take up to 5 years to have any effect due to the time it takes to do an apprenticeship or get a degree.

I had a conversation on here yesterday with On The Couch. BHP's recent announcement of an extra 3,500 apprentices and trainees over the next 5 years will consist of Maintenance Associates who will do 12 mths of training and then go to site to, we guess, do routine stuff, servicing and lubing and basic maintenance tasks. Speaking with the senior lubey this morning, he expects that through natural attrition, over time they will be replaced by the Maintenance Associates, who will have a Cert II in whatever after their 12 mths.

The apprenticeships will be over 2 years and not 4 years and they will be based in Perth (or Mackay in Qld) for the whole 2 years before transferring to sites. At this stage, the apprenticeships being offered over the 2 year period are fixed plant mechanical fitter and heavy vehicle fitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back