Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

over 1 in 4 people in WA changed from voting conservative to voting Labor over the last 2 elections

Labor at state level is a good thing, as you want investment in education and health (which are a state issue - except where the feds try and claim relevance). There was once a day where the Libs were tight arses with cash, which is exactly the trait you want controlling the purse. Sadly though, neither party has shown restraint in the last 14 years.

Lol at Conservatives eating their own over Kirkup backing renewables. They deserve their flogging over their treatment of him.

The major concern for the Conservatives is they will have 5 people on a pay roll that can employ people to try and get back into power
Thats not a lot of people getting paid

It also strongly demonstrated there was no realistic alternative. I'm not a McGowan hater but he has been very smug since the Libs imploded and put Kirkup into the hot seat. McGowan has not been perfect and he has also had the easiest run of any WA premier I've seen. The pandemic has been very good for his career given WAs geographic isolation meaning he really hasn't had to do a lot to appear to be a superhero to a lot of people.
It’s a little simplistic to say he had an easy run. A pandemic isn’t easy for any leader, WA had a few natural advantages, but he managed to avoid the kind of stuff-ups that could have killed his leadership, making it look ‘easy’. He wasn’t exactly struggling going into the pandemic either; there were very few controversies and nothing substantial that would harmed his election chances. He wouldn’t have romped it in like last night but he would have won. WA doesn’t kick out governments after one term, as a general rule.

I reckon it has probably always been his aim, but this might accelerate that.

I wonder if forest will declare his premier ambitions in 8 years time

that's the earliest the Libs could have any chance, even then it would be slim without a catalyst

A quick search would have shown that currently the only changes to WA border restrictions for both NSW & QLD relate to "those that have visited any of the affected locations during the relevant times".

https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/...d-19-coronavirus-controlled-interstate-border

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It also strongly demonstrated there was no realistic alternative. I'm not a McGowan hater but he has been very smug since the Libs imploded and put Kirkup into the hot seat. McGowan has not been perfect and he has also had the easiest run of any WA premier I've seen. The pandemic has been very good for his career given WAs geographic isolation meaning he really hasn't had to do a lot to appear to be a superhero to a lot of people.
I voted for Labor/McGowan but personally I cant stand the smug c u n t . Problem is, there is no opposition. There is no one else to vote for. And like hell I'm voting for the sacrificial stand-in.

Last edited:
What does this mean for GC who due to fly here next Thursday to play WCE?
Ideally teams coming into the state would have an exemption to borders similar to what SA did last season, if not I suspect the game will be delayed until later in the season, both teams would have a bye first round. If we have COVID disruptions in other states then games will have to be moved interstate.

Maybe an opportune time for a new party.

State politics is a different animal to federal. We don't need to do the Labor vs Coalition thing.

Kind of people who vote coalition like the status quo and don't like change. Would they switch to a new party?

Democrats were good for harvesting coalition votes

Scottish National Party took off in Scotland because its voters are left types who got sick of the Labour Party. Some kind of catch-all 'we're centrist la la' WA Party is ****ed from the start.

A quick search would have shown that currently the only changes to WA border restrictions for both NSW & QLD relate to "those that have visited any of the affected locations during the relevant times".

https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/...d-19-coronavirus-controlled-interstate-border

The last time this happened in both states, they both went to medium risk, no exemptions for the whole state to travel to WA.

It now looks like he's discovered hot spotting, which is what most people have been banging on about for the last 6+ months.

Who'd have thunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back