the player you most regret losing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by lamby29
They also traded White for Chris Bond.

yes, but Bond, while not anywhere near as good as White, actually did play quite a few games for the dockers, and was quite a reasonable stalwart.

Chris Groom played a total of 17 AFL games (at least post 1994) and and just the seven of those were for Freo. But he does hold a great record - played less than 20 games in the big time but represented 3 clubs.

Originally posted by Sera
Pretty hard to trade a player that never played for your club. Also didn't Fremantle get your 1st pick in the 99 draft for stealing white? :D
Well we traded White for pick 2, which they traded to Richmond for Bond.

Yes they got our first pick in 99, but they drafted that superstar Leigh Brown with it.

Probably Nick Davis, i really rated him, but i mean the situation that saw him leave the club made me lose total respect for him. Also Paul Williams, this guy is, was and is still all class. Same type of player as Scott Burns a real shame we lost him. Funny how we lost williams and davis, but gained licuria and rocca from Sydney so i guess its all square! :D

Well we traded White for pick 2, which they traded to Richmond for Bond.

Yes they got our first pick in 99, but they drafted that superstar Leigh Brown with it.

For Bond and Pick 5, which they on-traded for Adrian Fletcher [I think]. Leigh Brown was traded for the pick that got Byron Schammer.

Originally posted by Sera
For Bond and Pick 5, which they on-traded for Adrian Fletcher [I think]. Leigh Brown was traded for the pick that got Byron Schammer.
No, I think it was Bond for pick 2, no strings attached. Didn't know about the Brown/Schammer trade though, so they didn't do as bad as I thought.

No, I think it was Bond for pick 2, no strings attached. Didn't know about the Brown/Schammer trade though, so they didn't do as bad as I thought.

No way.
How did fletcher fit into the deal then?
It was one of the most complex deals ever done in the afl trading period.
There was far more to it than just Bond for pick 2.

the whole Freo trade bit can be check out here:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=pastdraft&spg=alltimelistclub&rn=3389856

at the end of the 1994 season, they drafted Jeff White with the number 1 pick.

At the end of the 1997 season, Melbourne traded their number 2 and 18 pick to Freo for Jeff White. Freo then traded that number 2 pick for Chris Bond, and the #21 pick from Richmond. the number 18 pick which Freo acquired was then traded for Daniel Hargraves to the bulldogs.

at the end it was:

Freo gained Chris Bond, Daniel Hargraves and pick 21 (Clem Michael)
Freo lost Jeff White

Melbourne gained Jeff White
Melbourne lost pick 2 and pick 18

Bulldogs gained pick 18 (Mark Alvey)
Bulldos lose Daniel Hargraves

Richmond gained pick 2 (Brad Ottens)
Richmond lose Chris Bond and pick 21

Adrian Fletcher was a seperate trade. he and the brisbanes #26 draft pick was traded from Brisbane to Freo, for Freo's number 5 draft pick.

Originally posted by Asprilla
Deal was fine, but North really wanted Heath Black but Freo refused and offered Sinclair instead. Ironic that Jess has turned out much better. Benefit of hindsight I guess. Sinclair would get a game at Freo. If not in the backline like at North could definitely play on a wing or rotate through midfield/half-forward. Jess could take Walker's spot in the team as one example.

Interesting considering that Jess was soooo close to pull the plug on footy last year whilst struggling in the magoos.

StK would of wiped him out IMO...pun intended....

Heath Black is still a great player but I think he would be playing better if he were at North. Culture of the club can make alot of difference...look how Jess has turned it all around ....

I miss Peter Bell...we still lack a classy / smart rover to help out Brent Harvey.

Choppy (Pickett) was too cameo in his final season and McKernan just lost interest (something upstairs gone amiss)

1. Shannon Grant
2. Darren Gaspar
3. Anthony Rocca
4. Troy Cook
5. Paul Licuria
6. Adam Heuskus
7. Simon Garlick

..and going back a bit
8. Greg Williams
9. Barry Mitchell

...and to injury
10. Wade Chapman
11. Ryan Fitzgerald
12. Jamie Lawson
13. (Heath James)
14. (Stephen Doyle)

...but hey we've picked up some good one's over the years too!

Originally posted by robbieando
You are a fool, I bet come September he will be so upset he isn't playing for the great Demons, that he'll sit out of the finals, just so he can feel like a Demon again:rolleyes:
That won't be the reason, he will sit out the finals because his hammy will go 'twang' in round 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaggs...

Originally posted by midaro
1. Shannon Grant

...but hey we've picked up some good one's over the years too!
The Wayne Schwass / Shannon Grant direct swap would have to be ONE of the BEST WIN /WIN trades ever made.

I LOVE SCHWATTA....he is a North Premiership player and dual
B & F winner as well as a Morrish Medalist (U/19's) plus a U/19's Premiership Capt. at North.

He also won a B & F in Sydney, served both clubs admirably. Can't argue with that.

Winston at the time....
P*ssed off about the White deal at the time, although he was always gonna go and didn't have the balls to stay.
Jess was a sorry departure, but couldn't complain about getting Bell back,
Blacky - good clubman but was still attached by the umbilical cord.
The Anvil - Brown... not because of his outstanding ability :)rolleyes: ), but because he was a GREAT clubmans who committed to Freo during our darkest moments. No doubt it's worked out better for him and us tho' - he gets a regular game with the Roos, we've got Schammer!

i don't think you could beat freo's trade of their compensation pick in 95 for todd ridley

who did essendon pick up with that selection - matthew lloyd :D

Originally posted by bacon buster
i don't think you could beat freo's trade of their compensation pick in 95 for todd ridley

:D :p Classic!!! Fremantle are defintely the worst traders of all time.

From Hawthorn I would choose Scott Crow & Alex McDonald:cool:

Mal Michael and Nick Davis.

Mal because he has become such a great player and Nick because he was/is so talented.

Both of those losses are made even worse when considering they were both young and the 'compensation' which we received for them.

I would put Paul Williams amongst those 2, but he needed the change to give his career a jump-start after going stale at the club after Malthouse arrived.

Originally posted by bacon buster

Essendon received their compensation pick to draft Lloyd because we recruited Riddley as a contracted player.

We never had the opportunity to draft Lloyd and he was never on our list.

Next time check your facts before posting such ridiculous comments and you won't be made look like such a fool.

Some people seem to be naming players who left on their own accord. I think this thread is referring to players who excelled after being unwillingly traded to another club or who were delisted and drafted by another club.

From Freo, I'd have to say Sinclair. I always knew he was going to be a good player before he left, just lacked a bit of toughness. But I guess the deal involved us getting Bell. :)

Originally posted by midaro
1. Shannon Grant
2. Darren Gaspar
3. Anthony Rocca
4. Troy Cook
5. Paul Licuria
6. Adam Heuskus
7. Simon Garlick

To be honest, I don't really regret any of those - or maybe only Licuria.

Grant, Gaspar and Rocca didn't want to be at the club and however talented a player is there's little point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be there. At the time I was very disappointed Heuskes left but I guess the lure of playing for Port in his home town was strong, and in any case it didn't turn out to be a great loss.

As for the other 3 they have turned out to be handy to good to very good players for other clubs but at the time it was hard to see they had much of a future.

In some ways I regret losing Stafford because he'd always been a bit of a favourite of mine and had played some darn good footy for the Swans in earlier years. But he needed a change and he helped us get Hall so no complaints overall.

Re: Shaggs...

Originally posted by Woodson
The Wayne Schwass / Shannon Grant direct swap would have to be ONE of the BEST WIN /WIN trades ever made.

I LOVE SCHWATTA....he is a North Premiership player and dual
B & F winner as well as a Morrish Medalist (U/19's) plus a U/19's Premiership Capt. at North.

He also won a B & F in Sydney, served both clubs admirably. Can't argue with that.

Schwatta was a great. No doubt. BUT...
There is no way the Swans would have made that trade if it wasn't for the fact, that one way or another, Grant was going home. The deal with North was the best available.

There's no way Schwatta for 5 years is equal to Grand for 10+. The Swans have been victims of "Go Home" syndrome quite a bit, but with Nick Davis last year and L..... H..... next year, looks like we're turning the corner :) ;)

I can`t remember losing too many players actually.

Probably when we failed to see the champion qualities in one Greg Williams..the first time as a jnr. Too short, too slow, too fat I believe he was called. Before he went on to star for Geelong, then Sydney. To think we could have had him for his entire career. :eek:

More recently

Hammill was a bit of a loss.

...and not that we ever had them, but Goddard and Wells would have been handy pick ups. :rolleyes: :(

Paul Williams.

More to the point I regret not getting Primus from Fitzroy - we were very close at one stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

the player you most regret losing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back