Official Club Stuff The President & the Board - Sayers to continue as Pres until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

"Only once in 24 rounds (Round 12 v Port Adelaide) were we able to name an unchanged line-up"

This part, very disingenuous.

Coveneintly glossed over questionable match selection, where some weeks they chose to change the line up and brought in half injured players.... versus sticking to continuity.

You reap what you sow.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
Also no mention of the decision to not rest the cohort that were struggling with soreness in the rounds following the GWS game. We reaped a bumper crop there.

Not sure what people want from
Sayers … he sounded just as upset as us . Stick fat , we will try and be better ..probably didn’t have to spin the injuries part but did affect us .. our club had a very disappointing back half of the year … hopefully this spurs some changes … as someone previously said the next 2 months will be telling …if we stick with same same we have learnt nothing

Not sure what people want from
Sayers … he sounded just as upset as us . Stick fat , we will try and be better ..probably didn’t have to spin the injuries part but did affect us .. our club had a very disappointing back half of the year … hopefully this spurs some changes … as someone previously said the next 2 months will be telling …if we stick with same same we have learnt nothing
Injuries absolutely derailed the season

Too many important players in and out throughout the season

Injuries absolutely derailed the season

Too many important players in and out throughout the season

The struggle I have with Luke Sayers is that he talks to us members as though we are PwC employee's or corporates, instead of showing some passion.

Why not try going away from the heavily curated spin we receive & write something with a bit of passion....I`m not saying come out & can all & sundry, but imagine if he started this weeks letter with something like:

"Well that was absolutely terrible, I`d imagine I wasn't the only one who wanted to curl up in the fetal position at half time"

I am sick of the spin, I want some meaningful communication from the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dear ODN

To be honest it was a hollow feeling waking up this morning, heading into the week knowing our AFL season is over.

There is no point starting this email by telling you we weren’t good enough, we all know that, so it is important to take ownership of the standard we set at the start of the year.

Back in March, we were very clear on what our expectation was for 2024 – to be a consistent home and away team, striving to finish in the top four.

Clearly, we fell short of that. In our performances and in our durability.

A season we wanted to be measured by consistency, was ultimately defined by inconsistency.

Eyes may glaze over when you see the word ‘consistency’ – people may find it dull, boring, cliché.

But it matters. Consistency matters.

And for far too long this club has not paid it the respect it deserves.

That is why, when you walk into our training field at IKON Park, you will see 16 flags hanging from the rafters – yet only one of them, just one, has an AFL logo on it.

What more motivation do we need than that?

We either embrace a consistent commitment to elite behaviour, across all levels of this football club, or we will get left behind.

I cannot spell it out any clearer than that.

We know when at our best, we are good enough, and I believe our best was absolutely good enough this year.

But we need to perform at the level we are capable of over a long period of time, not in patches.

Over the coming weeks and months we will address the areas that we’ve fallen short in and be relentless in making sure these areas will meet the standards of excellence that this football club now expects.

True unity is being able to look one another in the eye, being honest in our performance, ensuring that we move forward, with clarity.

Further evidence of our inconsistency was our inability to field a regular team on the park, for the entire year.

Only once in 24 rounds (Round 12 v Port Adelaide) were we able to name an unchanged line-up. In Round 24 against the Saints, we went into our most crucial game of the year with over 40 per cent of our playing list on our injury list.

That isn’t sustainable for success. We need to be better.

This game does not give up its rewards easily.

Reality is that if you want to succeed, competing in the biggest games of the year, there is a very real possibility that pain and hurt comes with the territory.

But we know it is worth enduring together, as one club, in order to give ourselves a shot at the ultimate reward we are all craving in the coming years.

Much will be said and written over the coming days about our football club.

Our narrative though will not be dictated to us by external noise

While this is not the way we wanted 2024 to end, we get to decide what it means for us in 2025 and beyond.

Before I finish, I sincerely want to thank you ODN: you have been incredible in your impact and support.

106,345 members, the most in the history of this football club.

An average home game attendance of 58,311– ranked No.1 in the AFL.

11 of out 23 games sold out.

It is going to take time for our collective disappointment to dissipate, however out of this we will emerge with a fierce determination.

One that will see our entire army, the biggest this football club has ever had, charging as one into 2025.

For the coming months our support centres around our AFLW side, who are chasing back-to-back wins when we host the Cats in our home opener at IKON Park this Saturday at 2.35pm.

The group has put in a mountain of work over an extended pre-season, and we wish Senior Coach Mathew Buck, captain Kerryn Peterson and all our players and staff the very best for what is to come for the remainder of the season.

So please take care and look out for one another, ‘Baggers.

For most of us, we were born into this, as Carlton people.

That means sharing in the elation as well as the heartbreak.

But no matter what, I am proud to share it with all of you.

Stronger Together, no matter what.

Go Blues,
Dear Luke

A high injury list has been a problem for the club for essentially the entire 12 years you have been a member of the Board.

As a board member you have ratified the appointment of a Football Manager charged with making the appointment of a High Performance Manager in 2018 and Fitness and Medical staff at various junctures since 2018 to the current day. You have also had the opportunity to interrogate their methods, receive feedback from relevant stakeholders about their performance and methods, benchmark against industry best practice and set performance parameters to ultimately hold said individuals to account.

During that time the club has had an approach to injury management, and by virtue of that high performance, that by any measure would rank well below industry standard and arguably at the very bottom of its peer group, with very little discernible evidence of year on year improvement.

Indeed there is possible evidence of regression during that time including errors that have occurred repeatedly over the last six years, most notably 1) the recurrence of non-collision based injuries and 2) playing players who are clearly hampered by injury and as a result do not perform to their optimum capacity.

I believe this is all evidence you have so badly failed in your duties to the members that your conduct constitutes neglect and indeed you are a major part of the problem as to why the underperformance continues to occur. With that in mind I feel it appropriate you should resign from your board director position with immediate effect and allow a more competent and diligent person to assume your role for the betterment of the football club we both support.

Kind regards
Beyond Blue

Personally I see nothing wrong with that email.

Hits the key points, sets expectations.

Wouldn't want to come back out of shape this preseason.
Here is one of Andy Gowers, Hawthorn president.

Firstly, I wanted to take this opportunity to personally thank you all for electing me to the role of President of this great club.

Secondly, I want to provide you with an understanding of my vision for the future of our football club.

Like you, Hawthorn has and always will be a huge part of my life. I love this club, and taking on the role of President is something that means a great deal to me. You, our loyal members, are the lifeblood of our club and are the reason we exist. That is why it is such an honour and privilege to be appointed to the position.

It comes at a time when we have a lot of work to do. It is clear we have some challenges ahead of us, but you should take comfort in the knowledge that your Board, the club’s staff and players, are ready for those challenges. I have spent both today and yesterday at Bunjil Bagora and addressed the staff and it’s fair to say there is a lot of excitement about this new era.

During the past few weeks I set out a three-point plan for the club under my leadership.

1. Unity – “A Happy Team at Hawthorn”

2. Family Club – “One for All and All for One”

3. Success – “We Play to Win”

This is about the next chapter in this football club’s famous history. I will bring my own style of leadership and it will include engaging with you all.

Being the President is somewhat surreal, but I see this as a real opportunity to unite our club. There are so many Hawthorn fans who I have spoken to who are no longer members because of their feelings towards the club.

I hope Tuesday night was a turning point that allows us all to reconnect, unify and ensure we are always operating like the Family Club.

In terms of communication moving forward, I plan to give you the information you want and need in a transparent way, because that is what you deserve as a member. A key priority of mine will be holding a summit early in the new year to share opinions and ideas so we can unify as one.

Thank you again for your passion and commitment to our great club.

Don't really know what else anyone was wanting from Sayers. Thought it was a fairly brutal assessment on our year and was happy he called out some parts of the clubs failed season.

But if what we all recognized as a disastrous season had us ending in 8th I think that shows that we've made some significant strides over Sayers, Cook and Voss' tenure. Albeit we need to continue to improve or risk wasting another list rebuild.

Go again in 2025 with a new fitness boss, hopefully some new player changes, maybe some bolstered assistants to help add more layers to our game plan and if it goes up in smoke again then we have fair reason to call for heads.

Here is one of Andy Gowers, Hawthorn president.

Firstly, I wanted to take this opportunity to personally thank you all for electing me to the role of President of this great club.

Secondly, I want to provide you with an understanding of my vision for the future of our football club.

Like you, Hawthorn has and always will be a huge part of my life. I love this club, and taking on the role of President is something that means a great deal to me. You, our loyal members, are the lifeblood of our club and are the reason we exist. That is why it is such an honour and privilege to be appointed to the position.

It comes at a time when we have a lot of work to do. It is clear we have some challenges ahead of us, but you should take comfort in the knowledge that your Board, the club’s staff and players, are ready for those challenges. I have spent both today and yesterday at Bunjil Bagora and addressed the staff and it’s fair to say there is a lot of excitement about this new era.

During the past few weeks I set out a three-point plan for the club under my leadership.

1. Unity – “A Happy Team at Hawthorn”

2. Family Club – “One for All and All for One”

3. Success – “We Play to Win”

This is about the next chapter in this football club’s famous history. I will bring my own style of leadership and it will include engaging with you all.

Being the President is somewhat surreal, but I see this as a real opportunity to unite our club. There are so many Hawthorn fans who I have spoken to who are no longer members because of their feelings towards the club.

I hope Tuesday night was a turning point that allows us all to reconnect, unify and ensure we are always operating like the Family Club.

In terms of communication moving forward, I plan to give you the information you want and need in a transparent way, because that is what you deserve as a member. A key priority of mine will be holding a summit early in the new year to share opinions and ideas so we can unify as one.

Thank you again for your passion and commitment to our great club.

More compelling in relation to transparency for sure. I don't know if that has been I'm evidence yet or if there has been a need.

It certainly doesn't imply that the fans are caught up as part of that outside noise Sayers talks about.

I expect an email from The President after an inglorious finish to our season. I’m not expecting him to lay out in full detail what went wrong. That’s a role for others. I’m looking for change, an epiphany of sorts that can be demonstrated with decisions made before we start the 2025 season.

Sayers has committed in writing to the members to take action.

“Over the coming weeks and months we will address the areas that we’ve fallen short in and be relentless in making sure these areas will meet the standards of excellence that this football club now expects.”

I’m expecting change now and want to see it in action.

Ugh.... Please no. Sayers is a brute. He's a ruthless all out operator who pushed every boundary he could and gave 0 ****s about burning bridges. He got results and moved up by being that ruthless...

He may not be a suitable type for running a football club but flake is nonsensical.
There is a difference between a truth bending self interested white collar consultant or accountant and genuine toughness.
Tough People are staunch, direct & deliver outcomes
Flakes by dictionary definition are unreliable & unconventional and give the appearance of action but actually flounce around delivering results

There is a difference between a truth bending self interested white collar consultant or accountant and genuine toughness.
Tough People are staunch, direct & deliver outcomes
Flakes by dictionary definition are unreliable & unconventional and give the appearance of action but actually flounce around delivering results
Ok thanks for the meaningless definitions. Sayers got results and was bloody ruthless doing it. Both internally and externally. He has loads of flaws and detractors. But calling him a flake and soft is just a reflection on someone who has no understanding of who sayers is or the way he operated.

Again I'll reiterate - he may not be suited to running a footy club but he's not even close to a flake. Nor soft. Man lived on endless work hours and ruthless ethic.

Lukes opinion is the list isn't good enough.

That's a big enough motivator to get cracking and make the necessary changes to the list as soon as humanly possible.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff The President & the Board - Sayers to continue as Pres until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back