FTA-TV The "Prisoner" Appreciation Thread *Post 557 - No spoilers*

Remove this Banner Ad

Ray plays the corrupt governor from blackmoors prison in the last few seasons. I was shocked when i watched that episode the other night. A **** of a gov'nor as well.

Gee how did they think they would get away with recycling actors. Even the corrupt screw makes a reappearance as another character.

It was weird how they didn't even mention her absence.
Even if they just explained it away as her moving blocks for a few weeks it would have made sense, but to just have her in the line for food as if nothing's changed is kinda weird.

come to think of it didn't she get put in the pound not long after she was back inside from the bungled hold up? Maybe she spent the last 2 weeks in isolation?

Last nights ep was a ripper to be honest. Vera encouraging fletch to leave so she could move up the tree, Davo threatening to fire officers if they don't do as she says even telling Vera if she can't bring it down a notch then she would be better off quitting. Bea gets sent back to wenworth in a combi van - peace and love out - not to mention the send off she got from barnhusrt with all those prisoners and guards standing about calling her a bitch etc. Good times.

come to think of it didn't she get put in the pound not long after she was back inside from the bungled hold up? Maybe she spent the last 2 weeks in isolation?

I can't remember, but even if she was you'd think someone would have commented on her suddenly turning up again.
Just seems like lazy writing to me.

Vera encouraging fletch to leave so she could move up the tree

To be honest i thought she was relatively genuine.
Obviously she wanted the chance to become deputy governor but i truly believe she wished Jim well.

Really? Given how unique he looks and how memorable a character Geoff Butler was, i didn't think they'd be able to use him again.

Speaking of actors with more than one role, didn't the actress playing Hazel Kent start out as a nurse beside Dr. Miller in the early episodes?

Yep, as someone posted earlier, his third role is the corrupt Governor of Blackmoor Prison, but he also plays a drug lord in the 400's episodes.

And yep, Belinda Davey played a nurse in the first episode before she returned as Hazel

Ray plays the corrupt governor from blackmoors prison in the last few seasons. I was shocked when i watched that episode the other night. A **** of a gov'nor as well.

Gee how did they think they would get away with recycling actors. Even the corrupt screw makes a reappearance as another character.

To be fair, Prisoner isn't the only show where actors are recycled (Maggie Kirkpatrick has played 2 separate, albeit relatively minor roles, in Home and Away for example). Also, there was a decent gap between Ray's stints on the show (about 4 years between his first and second and 2 years between the second and third stint).

Is the corrupt screw you're referring to Ann Yates? That's Kirsty Child, who goes on to play Faye Quinn's sister and then Willie Beecham

Is the corrupt screw you're referring to Ann Yates? That's Kirsty Child, who goes on to play Faye Quinn's sister and then Willie Beecham

Yeah it's yatesy. 2 times ok..but 3 times in the same show?

I guess most available actors were too busy making "ozploitation" movies, acting in little cute personal theatres (La Mamma in Carlton) or trying to make it OS OR didn't want to be associated with the show?

I loved watching the contrast in production from episode one to the last episode..and the fashion as well. In the last season every chick had a mullet! And Rita kinda reminds me of a female version of Dermie...kinda.

Also Meg really went from the bowl cut to the 80s power hair cut in less than 2 seasons and the uniforms, like most things on Aust TV at that time, went from grey to beige! And no cap guns in the blackmoors uprising epsidoe!

I loved watching the contrast in production from episode one to the last episode..and the fashion as well. In the last season every chick had a mullet! And Rita kinda reminds me of a female version of Dermie...kinda.

Also Meg really went from the bowl cut to the 80s power hair cut in less than 2 seasons and the uniforms, like most things on Aust TV at that time, went from grey to beige! And no cap guns in the blackmoors uprising epsidoe!

Same here - and in a way the early episodes seem to age better than the newer episodes, the beige didn't age as well as the grey, especially the screws uniforms.

"Mum" Brooks is back? I seem to remember her dying, didn't she? :eek:

The new male officer is a shortarse and undoubtedly too short to have ever qualified to work as a prison guard in a men's prison!

To be fair, Prisoner isn't the only show where actors are recycled (Maggie Kirkpatrick has played 2 separate, albeit relatively minor roles, in Home and Away for example).

Watch shows like The Bill,Law & Order or any long running UK or US drama and you'll see the same actors pop up as different characters,sometimes only a year after their previous appearance.
I remember Neighbours use to do the same.the guy that killed Daphne popped up a couple of years later as a different character.

I don't think she died.I thought her grandaughter,who had just had a baby,moved in with her.

No, her pregnant grandaughter moved in with her and then they were written out of the show pretty early on - when Bea was trying to work out who she was and where she was, she returned to the flat Mum was staying when Bea first escaped in about episode 30 (when she escaped from the hospital after Ann Yates stabbed her).

That was a huge plot hole right there. Meg and the sexy social worker knew that she was hiding Bea and once Bea left mum that was it no more visits from Bea or the sexy social worker. And sexy social worker was left out for a whole while.

Also her granddaughter - what happened to her and the baby?

And why is mum back in? Did they finally catch up with her because she broke her parole by assisting Bea?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we set for any good suprises before the new year? Freak far off?

Bea's amnesia storyline is a fantastic storyline, and the Terry Harrison storyline is quite an entertaining one. This will probably take us to the end of the year on 111 Hits.

The Freak arrives in episode 287, and we're at episode 201 at the moment, so 111 Hits is about 4 months away from The Freak.

I don't want to spoil what we have between now and The Freak for those that are watching it for the first time, so I'll put some of the highlights in the spoiler tags below.

Some of the highlights between now and The Freak include
- Terry getting engaged to Vera before being shot by underworld figures
- Vera leaving to become governor of Barnhurst
- The rise of Colleen Powell
- Erica being kidnapped (in a green jumpsuit) by a couple of anarchists (just think Occupy Melbourne circa 1981)
- New inmates uniforms
- Sandy Edwards and Kate Peterson arriving, followed shortly by Marie Winter's transfer to Wentworth, which leads to Bea's kidney transplant and the Sandy Edwards riot (which many fans say is the best riot in the series while Bea is in hospital.
- the final showdown between Judy and Jock Stewart
- Jim leaving to become governor of a boys detention centre
- the Susie Driscoll storyline

Nah, but she did suffer a heart attack (or a stroke?) which saw her in hospital for some time.
That was right before she and her granddaughter disappeared from our screens (only to return briefly when Bea escaped the first time).

I didn't expect to see her again.

Totally insignificant point but does anyone else notice how often they get the names of the two receptionists wrong?

One is called Julie, the other Wendy.
In last nights episode Fletch called her Julie, yet it was actually Wendy (and was credited as such at the end), and i've actually seen episodes where the same woman has been called both Wendy and Julie.

In more interesting news, Val Lehman was brilliant last night.
She actually had me convinced, which is a fair task given how far-fetched the storyline is.

In more interesting news, Val Lehman was brilliant last night.She actually had me convinced, which is a fair task given how far-fetched the storyline is.
Val Lehman is a fantastic actress, full stop. I also just love her shapely figure.

I had to laugh when Bea apparently 'burned' Margo with the coffee.
Margo screamed and then showed her burn to the officers yet if you watch it again, quite a deal of the coffee ended up on Bea's hand yet be didn't even flinch.

I do wonder if such an obvious goof would get through in a modern program.

BTW Val Lehman is still in brilliant form.
It was almost chilling when she switched between Bea and Mrs. Smith.

OMG I just can't get over Bea & Mum's court case. Doesn't it usually take months for a case to appear in court? There was no talk of it, no time to prepare for it, then next thing you know Margo is testifying against Bea and their legal team knew nothing about it. Talk about far-fetched.

Looks like Meg is now in trouble with the department. Haha. :thumbsu: Serves her right. Bloody do-gooder.

I had to laugh when Bea apparently 'burned' Margo with the coffee.
Margo screamed and then showed her burn to the officers yet if you watch it again, quite a deal of the coffee ended up on Bea's hand yet be didn't even flinch.

I thought it looked like Bea copped half of it.

I finally missed an episode, but by watching the next one I was able to pick up pretty well what happened. It looks like Doreen snuck up on Margo, bashed her, and stole her tape and her scotch!

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV The "Prisoner" Appreciation Thread *Post 557 - No spoilers*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back