The PSD 'Threat'

Remove this Banner Ad

On the contrary - i think it is advantageous to Melbourne sides

Let's assume McCarthy was uncontracted and wants to come to Perth - ideally Freo - but any Perth club if needs be. He threatens to walk to the PSD and the Giants just laugh and say good luck getting to Perth!!

Now take the same situation with Tom Boyd being uncontracted and wanting to come back to Melbourne

He ideally wants to go to the Bulldogs but ultimately just wants to be in Melbourne. He threatens the PSD and you know what... it puts pressure on GWS to trade with the Bulldogs - because they know he will walk regardless to a Melbourne based club.

It gives the receiving club far greater leverage.

Oh and GWS lost out bigtime on that trade, getting Ryan Griffin.

They must've been held over a barrel pretty hard to take that no brainer! :drunk:

This.

You want to play AFL? You play where you're told to. Play well, get yourself to Free Agency, cash in on a big deal in the location of your choice.
I've got a job for you to do, you will work there as I've told you, if you don't like it, stiff. Hang around for 7 years of your life until you get long service, then you can leave. Okay?

I wish clubs would just pick someone up even if they were not keen, not much different to a rookie in the national draft, do you think Scully and Trengove wanted to go to the Dees?
If Danger for instance went in the PSD and I was Carlton id 100% pick him up for nothing! Why wouldnt you? I think there is to much of a human element to the whole thing which is why clubs dont tend to take the player that hasnt agreed to go to their club.
It can backfire quite easily on the club though.

Have a look at the Pies for example with the 2013 (?) draft. Scharenberg and Freeman, two top 10 picks, and one almost left us to go back home to SA, and the other is still likely to leave the club after their initial 2 year contract. How much of a waste is it to the club? We won't get a pick 10 for Freeman, and thats what we paid, in a very good draft too. It is better for all that the player and the club have a mutual agreement, instead of forcing kids/players go somewhere they just don't want to be.

I've got a job for you to do, you will work there as I've told you, if you don't like it, stiff. Hang around for 7 years of your life until you get long service, then you can leave. Okay?

No player is actually hogtied and forced to play for a club

They have every right - as Tim Watson demonstrated - to go and do something else with their life.

When players sign up for the draft - they do so looking for employment and agree to work at anyone of the 18 clubs.

If they don't like the contract, they don't sign it

Part of being a professional sportsperson is accepting the requirements of being a professional

I should mention I'd move RFA to 4 years, and UFA to 5 or 6.

RFAs are designated by club under 3 or 4 levels of compensation, that has to come from the club acquiring the player.

Departing UFAs provide no compensation to clubs. AFL awards a max of end of second rounder for all combined comings and goings for use in the following year's draft.

No player is actually hogtied and forced to play for a club

They have every right - as Tim Watson demonstrated - to go and do something else with their life.

When players sign up for the draft - they do so looking for employment and agree to work at anyone of the 18 clubs.

If they don't like the contract, they don't sign it

Part of being a professional sportsperson is accepting the requirements of being a professional
I understand, and agree.

But what they're doing isn't wrong either. If someone doesn't want to be at a club, they shouldn't have to stick around.

So an 18 year old is not allowed to be honest? whats wrong with a kid saying that he probably wont fit into the culture of a new formed club and would become home sick. Better then not telling them and then they go home after two years for marbles (ie Ben Jacobs)

Why was Ben Jacobs such a social misfit at Port? Gets on great with our young guys Luke McDonald and Taylor Garner.

"oh well if we cant get a trade we'll just send him to the PSD where Carlton will take him"

No.

Its never happened and it never will.

No club is going to pick a player that doesnt want to play for them.
Jade Rawlings.
/thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand, and agree.

But what they're doing isn't wrong either. If someone doesn't want to be at a club, they shouldn't have to stick around.

If they are contracted... then absolutely they should be forced to stick around

No one forced McCarthy to sign an extension - he did so willingly. As such as a professional you are legally and morally obliged to fulfil your contract.

If you are not contracted - then you have every right to subject yourself to the draft and nominate your terms of employment.

If they are contracted... then absolutely they should be forced to stick around

No one forced McCarthy to sign an extension - he did so willingly. As such as a professional you are legally and morally obliged to fulfil your contract.

If you are not contracted - then you have every right to subject yourself to the draft and nominate your terms of employment.
If only people would create such uproar the other way around. No one batters an eye lid when a loyal servant gets the chop.

Nick Stevens only wanted to go to Collingwood
The pies as a result offered peanuts assuming port would take it or leave it.
Carlton may have been sniffing around, if Stevens didn't mind going there a trade would more than likely have happened

But for him it was pies or bust

Sucked in, he missed out on a flag and had a largely unsuccessful career, team wise

Port stuck by their guns and took the hard line, and good on them, they saw it through

I don't think the crows have the balls to do the same thing. They said they would hold out when Gunston wanted to come to us, we offered #24 straight up, they wanted more but they eventually took it after a week

If only people would create such uproar the other way around. No one batters an eye lid when a loyal servant gets the chop.

IMO a player owes the club no more loyalty than clubs have shown players

A club only owes to a "loyal" servant what they are contractually obliged to pay.

If that player's contract is up - the club has every right not to renew it.

If the player is contracted, the club still needs to meet it's financial commitments and pay the player out.

For mine, the expectation on the player to be loyal has been far too great for far too long, particularly when it is rarely shown the other way

However being a professional means accepting the requirements of a contract. If you sign a contract - don't be petulant - fulfill your obligations. There is no problem asking for a contract to amended or changed, but like any contract - any change needs to be mutually beneficial to all parties.

Ever followed any American sports? Thats exactly how its done and so it should be! They run an awesome spectacle and the effective trading system adds to the spectacle, the AFL is amateur hour.

Nick Stevens only wanted to go to Collingwood
The pies as a result offered peanuts assuming port would take it or leave it.
Carlton may have been sniffing around, if Stevens didn't mind going there a trade would more than likely have happened

But for him it was pies or bust

Sucked in, he missed out on a flag and had a largely unsuccessful career, team wise

Port stuck by their guns and took the hard line, and good on them, they saw it through

I don't think the crows have the balls to do the same thing. They said they would hold out when Gunston wanted to come to us, we offered #24 straight up, they wanted more but they eventually took it after a week

Bit different I'd say.

Cats have surely built up years of goodwill within the league for their attitude to trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

The PSD 'Threat'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back