Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The AFL is the only major sporting code in the world that hasn't had a single elite male player publicly identify as gay.

This week on Four Corners, reporter Louise Milligan investigates the AFL's culture and asks what has created this silence?

The league's governing body signed a pledge to tackle persistent homophobia a decade ago.

But Milligan speaks with players, advocates and supporters who all say the code's lack of leadership on the issue is baffling.

Current and former players speak openly with Four Corners about the anti-gay bigotry that they say lingers in the AFL.

They call for change and say the league needs to be a safer place for gay players.

The Silence reported by Louise Milligan goes to air on Monday 21st August at 8.30pm on ABC TV and ABC iview.

If you're talking about Lori Lightfoot, she's not the mayor anymore lol, but she still looks like a Star Wars alien
She's clueless but no, the new one. Even worse.

Then you've got LA asking residents to house illegal immigrants 😂😂

Country is a mess, think it's #Trump#TrumpTime

The AFL is the only major sporting code in the world that hasn't had a single elite male player publicly identify as gay.

This week on Four Corners, reporter Louise Milligan investigates the AFL's culture and asks what has created this silence?

The league's governing body signed a pledge to tackle persistent homophobia a decade ago.

But Milligan speaks with players, advocates and supporters who all say the code's lack of leadership on the issue is baffling.

Current and former players speak openly with Four Corners about the anti-gay bigotry that they say lingers in the AFL.

They call for change and say the league needs to be a safer place for gay players.

The Silence reported by Louise Milligan goes to air on Monday 21st August at 8.30pm on ABC TV and ABC iview.

The AFL will address it now.
Do you get to take your AFL gay academy players if they are bid on in the first round?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that I'm back home what a cluster, my IT engage din the literal definition of insanity.

I watched as our supposed IT took control of the work system to try and fix VPN issues, my phone went from 91% to single digit power with the f'ery and all they did was copy files over, click a button, note error, rinse and repeat.

Then I got to discuss with 4 of them at once, that left me with resetting the PC 6x, this time we got different errors as I was plugging shit in and plugging shit out, then when she pissed off, she left me with her admin access, so whoopsie.

Then the head guy who was trying to push it along threw me into a chat with 8 people, most of them Indian, and at 4:01 after I left the house at 7:48am, I told them to GAGF, we can do it next week. And here I am, haven't eaten anything all day, stuck in a literal air conditioned office since recirculating air as the only one in that office for most of that time period.

And they tell me to waste money in feeding myself an hour before my shift finishes? After they literally ditch me and say "soz" after an hour in the morning when meeting was missed but hold tight, it'll be fine...

Is for me as I got paid to spin in a chair and press a couple of buttons, look forward to it Monday where I can also eat chips and make a three course meal for lunch. Shit you not, it was raining, I looked up the Indian place same block as work and $9 delivery for a $16 biryani dish, all because 20mins turned into 8 hours and I didn't bring anything except what was required.

#rant

Now that I'm back home what a cluster, my IT engage din the literal definition of insanity.

I watched as our supposed IT took control of the work system to try and fix VPN issues, my phone went from 91% to single digit power with the f'ery and all they did was copy files over, click a button, note error, rinse and repeat.

Then I got to discuss with 4 of them at once, that left me with resetting the PC 6x, this time we got different errors as I was plugging s**t in and plugging s**t out, then when she pissed off, she left me with her admin access, so whoopsie.

Then the head guy who was trying to push it along threw me into a chat with 8 people, most of them Indian, and at 4:01 after I left the house at 7:48am, I told them to GAGF, we can do it next week. And here I am, haven't eaten anything all day, stuck in a literal air conditioned office since recirculating air as the only one in that office for most of that time period.

And they tell me to waste money in feeding myself an hour before my shift finishes? After they literally ditch me and say "soz" after an hour in the morning when meeting was missed but hold tight, it'll be fine...

Is for me as I got paid to spin in a chair and press a couple of buttons, look forward to it Monday where I can also eat chips and make a three course meal for lunch. s**t you not, it was raining, I looked up the Indian place same block as work and $9 delivery for a $16 biryani dish, all because 20mins turned into 8 hours and I didn't bring anything except what was required.

#rant
Tell yer boss to get rid of those Dell Pentium IIs mate.

Girlfriend asked me what my 3 most embarrassing moments are.

Shared these with her... might as well here as I have no shame

Then I'd like to hear some from you lot... ok?

ok

1. I was about 6. I was an extremely flexible kid and could put both feet behind my head (shut up). Anyway... there was a big family party at my great aunt gladys' house. My Mum announced I could do this trick. Soon a crowd gathered. I sat on the kitchen floor and put both feet behind my head.... people cheered... then I farted... loud. The fart reverberated off the lino floor and sounded like a trumpet. 20 odd relatives were in hysterics. What made it worse was I was kind of stuck for a bit. Couldn't release the feet. Scarred for life.

2. In my 20s I worked at a disability service in Sydney. I caught the train in, but I'd often carry heaps of music gear with me as I'd write songs with the clients and record them. This one particular day I had a guitar, a mic stand, I was holding a keyboard under one arm, and I had a large backpack with a 4 track cassette recorder and mics etc in it. After work I got to the station and there were very steep steps down to the platform. About halfway down I noticed a smoking' hot girl on the platform... we locked eyes and smiled at each other. I decided right there I was going to talk to her. Then I tripped a bit. My momentum carried me forward and to stop myself from face planting I went with it, running down the stairs. At the bottom there was a metal pole that I hooked my arm around. With the speed I was going, I did more than a 360 around the pole. Sh*t went everywhere. I landed face up. I looked over just as her train pulled in. She looked back at me as she got on and was laughing her arse off. Good times

3. After moving to Melbourne I did a solo shop down Chapel St. Started at Sth Yarra and finished at Windsor. At the Windsor end there was a sex shop. I went in and bought a pr0n DVD. The place was creepy af. There were little spaces with curtains in there where people could watch stuff. The people in there were beyond sus. As I made my exit onto the street, the top button on my shorts popped off and my shorts fell down. I was carrying quite a few bags at the time and I frantically tried to pull my pants up. As I did, the pr0n DVD fell out of the brown paper bag and landed at the feet of a soccer mum type woman, face up, of course. There were a lot of people around to see me come out of that debauched den of sin with my pants falling down.

These stories are pretty typical of my life.

Ok

Go.....Let's hear 'em

Quite a lot of work done of this already including at the local level, why are they so determined to out people. How many are out in the nrl or nfl for that matter, Ian Roberts came out and ?.

Girlfriend asked me what my 3 most embarrassing moments are.

Shared these with her... might as well here as I have no shame

Then I'd like to hear some from you lot... ok?

ok

1. I was about 6. I was an extremely flexible kid and could put both feet behind my head (shut up). Anyway... there was a big family party at my great aunt gladys' house. My Mum announced I could do this trick. Soon a crowd gathered. I sat on the kitchen floor and put both feet behind my head.... people cheered... then I farted... loud. The fart reverberated off the lino floor and sounded like a trumpet. 20 odd relatives were in hysterics. What made it worse was I was kind of stuck for a bit. Couldn't release the feet. Scarred for life.

2. In my 20s I worked at a disability service in Sydney. I caught the train in, but I'd often carry heaps of music gear with me as I'd write songs with the clients and record them. This one particular day I had a guitar, a mic stand, I was holding a keyboard under one arm, and I had a large backpack with a 4 track cassette recorder and mics etc in it. After work I got to the station and there were very steep steps down to the platform. About halfway down I noticed a smoking' hot girl on the platform... we locked eyes and smiled at each other. I decided right there I was going to talk to her. Then I tripped a bit. My momentum carried me forward and to stop myself from face planting I went with it, running down the stairs. At the bottom there was a metal pole that I hooked my arm around. With the speed I was going, I did more than a 360 around the pole. Sh*t went everywhere. I landed face up. I looked over just as her train pulled in. She looked back at me as she got on and was laughing her arse off. Good times

3. After moving to Melbourne I did a solo shop down Chapel St. Started at Sth Yarra and finished at Windsor. At the Windsor end there was a sex shop. I went in and bought a pr0n DVD. The place was creepy af. There were little spaces with curtains in there where people could watch stuff. The people in there were beyond sus. As I made my exit onto the street, the top button on my shorts popped off and my shorts fell down. I was carrying quite a few bags at the time and I frantically tried to pull my pants up. As I did, the pr0n DVD fell out of the brown paper bag and landed at the feet of a soccer mum type woman, face up, of course. There were a lot of people around to see me come out of that debauched den of sin with my pants falling down.

These stories are pretty typical of my life.

Ok

Go.....Let's hear 'em
Come on mate that‘s amusing but try harder, Gringo has lesbians and dwarf fights.

Quite a lot of work done of this already including at the local level, why are they so determined to out people. How many are out in the nrl or nfl for that matter, Ian Roberts came out and ?.
Compare to the AFLW though ........ it's a bit weird in this day and age ? Outing people isn't really the point, more it's why
they aren't comfortable outing themselves. The other thing is the comp is potentially shooting itself in the foot if it is
putting off gay juniors from pursuing an AFL career and due to the "vibe", so they decide to go down the swimming channel
for example ? Given 10 - 20% of the current 15-20 year old population is gay.

Last edited:

Who business is it
a) who someone wants to have sex with?
b) if a person wants not to disclose it?

To what end is this newsworthy?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Exactly. Why are some so interested in who/what people are rooting?
Almost like they’re virtue signalling.
Couldn’t care less.

Compare to the AFLW though ........ it's a bit weird in this day and age ? Outing people isn't really the point, more it's why
they aren't comfortable outing themselves. The other thing is the comp is potentially shooting itself in the foot if it is
putting off gay juniors from pursuing an AFL career and due to the "vibe", they decide to go down the swimming channel
for example ?
There has been a lot of work done at the local level so that’s not a problem Imo and you can hardly compare aflw or many female sports where for whatever reason many are gay. I’m just bemused that peoples sexuality is of such interest when we’re watching sport, inclusiveness and discrimination are the issues so if players coming out are a measure of that yeah maybe otherwise who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back