Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it seems somewhat telling that in spite of the fact that statistically we know there are a number of gay players none feel comfortable enough to come out. Granted you can’t possibly say that’s ALL on the AFL but is the AFL doing as much as possible? Or even as much as they should?

Seems a fair question to me.

I think the league could do more in terms of education and awareness especially about casual homophobia at grass roots levels but all the way through.

Footy clubs are really important places for vulnerable young people, which would include young gay or queer men, if they don’t feel welcome they either don’t stay or stay in the closet.
Have any of the other sports done that?

To me it seems somewhat telling that in spite of the fact that statistically we know there are a number of gay players none feel comfortable enough to come out. Granted you can’t possibly say that’s ALL on the AFL but is the AFL doing as much as possible? Or even as much as they should?

Seems a fair question to me.
Do we know if they want to? Maybe they find it as mundane a subject as the rest of us.

Soccer Australia absolutely did, they had a pilot program that got a little bit of awareness.

I’m also not sure that “we’ll the others didn’t so why should we” is a great defence.
Not even trying to defend, genuinely don’t know.
Think it’s so overblown it’s not funny. Why focus on just one group? What about the others?

Think it’s so overblown it’s not funny. Why focus on just one group? What about the others?
You’re welcome to advocate for other groups but “why can’t we do this for x” isn’t really a reason to do nothing for y.

One at a time, Mr Impatient. We need to know who everyone likes to sleep with, and then we can move onto the next topic. It's important to have our noses in everyone's business 😍

You’re welcome to advocate for other groups but “why can’t we do this for x” isn’t really a reason to do nothing for y.
Find it hilarious players salaries are kept confidential, because “privacy” but folks are desperate to know who they’re mating with. Extremely weird.

Anyway I’m out, not literally, just of the conversation 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One at a time, Mr Impatient. We need to know who everyone likes to sleep with, and then we can move onto the next topic. It's important to have our noses in everyone's business 😍
Just find it hard to deal with considering nobody cares about the Bald Men Who Are Too Handsome And Have Too Much Athletic Ability To Focus On One Sport such as you and I 😔

Find it hilarious players salaries are kept confidential, because “privacy” but folks are desperate to know who they’re mating with. Extremely weird.

Anyway I’m out, not literally, just of the conversation 😎
You don't need to announce it, sweet cheeks. Everyone knows we have a weird thing going on already 💋

Australia has had an openly gay Basketballer, Soccer player, Rugby player so it would seem its not the country.

Gotta say the weird backlash to the ABC doing an investigation probably shows exactly why it’s needed. If you don’t care then why get defensive about the doco?
The quote was about the sport. It is played in only one country.
Again I ask how many gay soccer players in the Middle East?
And to what end as Dard asks? It is irrelevant to anybody under 30 and most people over that.
If an AFL player wants to come out, who gives a toss apart from some bogan homophones in the crowd and voyeurs who want to be somehow titillated in the wider public.
Sounds as relevant as a Twitter backlash.

As for the ABC, I am a huge supporter as it is a great broadcaster compared the right wing dirge of the commercials, but this topic is just silly.
Some on here would say I am 'of the left'. Does not preclude me from recognising this for virtue signalling, or some weird admonishment of a sporting body because of some deemed quota of gays required for today's supposed moral standards.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just find it hard to deal with considering nobody cares about the Bald Men Who Are Too Handsome And Have Too Much Athletic Ability To Focus On One Sport such as you and I 😔
And there it is 🥰

Some on here would say I am 'of the left'. Does not preclude me from recognising this for virtue signalling, or some weird admonishment of a sporting body because of some deemed quota of gays required for today's supposed moral standards.

Love it Joffa. That’s called being a high agency individual.
I am also of The Left, but hate what it has become. It is basically 180° from the values of yesteryear. Ridiculous times.

The quote was about the sport. It is played in only one country.
Again I ask how many gay soccer players in the Middle East?
And to what end as Dard asks? It is irrelevant to anybody under 30 and most people over that.
If an AFL player wants to come out, who gives a toss apart from some Nolan homophones in the crowd and voyeurs who want to be somehow titillated in the wider public.
Sounds as relevant to a Twitter backlash.

As for the ABC, I am a huge supporter as it is a great broadcaster compared the right wing dirge of the commercials, but this topic is just silly.

So you want us to be in similar position with gay right and representation as the Middle East?

I’m making the point that it’s the sport because the country has a number of professional athletes out and proud.

Go and have a read on Twitter what young men were saying when Josh Cavallo came out, or when Isaac Humphries came out. You might not care, plenty of young marginalized queer men and boys absolutely cared.

Love it Joffa. That’s called being a high agency individual.
I am also of The Left, but hate what it has become. It is basically 180° from the values of yesteryear. Ridiculous times.
Culture wars from both left and right s.hit me no ends.

She'll turn a few gay
I’m genuinely not having a go at you cause we all do this but when I said “casual homophobia” at footy clubs this is the sort of gear I’m talking about. It’s almost entrenched in young Aussie men

So you want us to be in similar position with gay right and representation as the Middle East?

I’m making the point that it’s the sport because the country has a number of professional athletes out and proud.

Go and have a read on Twitter what young men were saying when Josh Cavallo came out, or when Isaac Humphries came out. You might not care, plenty of young marginalized queer men and boys absolutely cared.

Sorry don't form my opinions from Twitter.

As for do I want Australia to be religious farked like the Middle East or the stilted machismo of South America? Do I really need to answer that?
And I have no problem with sportsmen coming out, there choice and their choice only, none of my business, good on them.

In the 90's there were radical gays outing homosexuals who were then subjected to acute embarrassment as they weren't ready and their families found out before they could tell them.
It's intensely personal, but this attack on their privacy and their rights is tantamount to bullying in my eyes.
Why pressure players if they don't want to? To what end? Well it is to virtue signalling at the expense of individual rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back