Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth reading this thread on biology and trans stuff:

Basically saying that a person can have XY chromosomes and have a vagina (possibly not a uterus) but still be effectively male.

What this suggests to me is that none of this is anywhere near as simple as people on both sides want to make it out to be.

No, it's not as simple as saying "is she XY" or "does she have a vagina". Sorry, that's not how biology works.

Worth reading this thread on biology and trans stuff:

Basically saying that a person can have XY chromosomes and have a vagina (possibly not a uterus) but still be effectively male.

What this suggests to me is that none of this is anywhere near as simple as people on both sides want to make it out to be.

No, it's not as simple as saying "is she XY" or "does she have a vagina". Sorry, that's not how biology works.

Thanks for posting that. Its a good read that actually goes into the details. Most of us are not even close to being entitled to an educated opinion.

Even if you understand the science its not black and white.

That said I feel sorry for Imane Khelif, this is not her fault and this last week would have been hard for her. There is also no proof she has XY chromosomes at this point.

Some of the comments on social media have gone way too far.

Last edited:

Is that old or bought "vintaged"......

Relic'd custom shop.

Wasn't my intention to go that way though.

Went into Sky Music maybe five years ago looking to buy a Mexican Strat. I must have played every Strat they had in the shop. Took that one off the wall just out of interest and it absolutely blew every guitar I'd played that day out of the water. I really didn't want that to be the case but it was. I kept a/b'ing it with the others and it wasn't even close for me.

I went home without it as I didn't want to spend that much. Went to another store the next day and played some Strats but couldn't get that one out of my mind. Went back to Sky and played a bunch of Strats again wanting to like them but played this one again and bought it on the spot.

You obviously play mate. What is your main guitar?

Relic'd custom shop.

Wasn't my intention to go that way though.

Went into Sky Music maybe five years ago looking to buy a Mexican Strat. I must have played every Strat they had in the shop. Took that one off the wall just out of interest and it absolutely blew every guitar I'd played that day out of the water. I really didn't want that to be the case but it was. I kept a/b'ing it with the others and it wasn't even close for me.

I went home without it as I didn't want to spend that much. Went to another store the next day and played some Strats but couldn't get that one out of my mind. Went back to Sky and played a bunch of Strats again wanting to like them but played this one again and bought it on the spot.

You obviously play mate. What is your main guitar?
Currently a Kiesel with a Floyd Rose and just had Jim Cargill make me a fixed bridge "super strat" style, that's a bit custom. It's basically a modified strat shape (told Jim just to do his own thing with it), but it's a neck through 24 fret, ebony fretboard with a 12-16 compound radius.

Currently a Kiesel with a Floyd Rose and just had Jim Cargill make me a fixed bridge "super strat" style, that's a bit custom. It's basically a modified strat shape (told Jim just to do his own thing with it), but it's a neck through 24 fret, ebony fretboard with a 12-16 compound radius.

I hadn't heard of Kiesel or Jim Cargill. Checking out their sites now. Kiesel certainly has an impressive user list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hadn't heard of Kiesel or Jim Cargill. Checking out their sites now. Kiesel certainly has an impressive user list.
So does Jim. Apparently Jimmy Hocking was back in the workshop while my new baby was being crafted and fell in love with the headstock shape that Jim came up with! I know back when Merv was running the business that a Jimmy Page guitar made its way to him for some work, and I know there has been Angus Young guitars receive the Cargill treatment when they are touring here, so some reasonable players have used Cargill......

My old stolen strat copy was made in Japan, but it was purchased through Merv, and he'd done some work on it.
My guitar teacher was a friend of his and bought guitars for his students through him.
The frets had all been lowered and levelled so the strings were barely above them. Smooth as hell to play.

My old stolen strat copy was made in Japan, but it was purchased through Merv, and he'd done some work on it.
My guitar teacher was a friend of his and bought guitars for his students through him.
The frets had all been lowered and levelled so the strings were barely above them. Smooth as hell to play.
I got Jim to change out the pups and electronics on a 2012 Les Paul and he did a set-up on it for me, I got home and played it for four hours then sent him a text about 11pm at night to say thank you. The guy is an absolute craftsman.

So does Jim. Apparently Jimmy Hocking was back in the workshop while my new baby was being crafted and fell in love with the headstock shape that Jim came up with! I know back when Merv was running the business that a Jimmy Page guitar made its way to him for some work, and I know there has been Angus Young guitars receive the Cargill treatment when they are touring here, so some reasonable players have used Cargill......

I actually had seen Jim Cargill's site before when looking to have some work done ages ago. Some very nice acoustics being made by him I see.

I remember getting Merv Cargill to set up guitars back in the day. Is that his son?

One of my mates plays bass for Jimi Hocking. He still plays a fair bit. He was around back in the 90s. He had a gig up on the Murray at some blues fest thing recently.

I remember getting Merv Cargill to set up guitars back in the day. Is that his son?
It is indeed. Merv unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago, although he was still poking about in the workshop a few months before that.....

One of my mates plays bass for Jimi Hocking. He still plays a fair bit. He was around back in the 90s. He had a gig up on the Murray at some blues fest thing recently.
Yeah Jimmy still plays with the Screaming Jets and has been doing his blues thing for a long time. I think he plays a lot of major blues clubs in the USA every year.

It is indeed. Merv unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago, although he was still poking about in the workshop a few months before that.....

He was the god of guitar set ups back in the day. Got him to ruin a good Les Paul putting active EMGs in it and throwing away the original pick ups. Thought it was cool at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back