Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my mates plays bass for Jimi Hocking. He still plays a fair bit. He was around back in the 90s. He had a gig up on the Murray at some blues fest thing recently.

My mum sent me a link to him playing blues not long before she'd passed away, i laughed at her because he'd been a rock player in the 80s and I had his CD.

Nice. Just done a bit of a relic build too. What's it based on? Is it a custom shop one?

Yep

Fender Custom Shop 62 strat

Back in the day, fender called back a lot of their sunburst strats and sprayed them a colour…. So the aging thing is to represent one of those strats where there top colour has worn over time to reveal the sunburst underneath. I have a mate in the states that has a real one like it… his is a ‘63 I think.

My mum sent me a link to him playing blues not long before she'd passed away, i laughed at her because he'd been a rock player in the 80s and I had his CD.

I remember going to see him when I was about 16 and he seemed like an old guy then but I think it was just anyone over 20 was old to me. He looks the same as I remembered him.

Yep

Fender Custom Shop 62 strat

Back in the day, fender called back a lot of their sunburst strats and sprayed them a colour…. So the aging thing is to represent one of those strats where there top colour has worn over time to reveal the sunburst underneath. I have a mate in the states that has a real one like it… his is a ‘63 I think.

I saw this recently on marketplace. Be nice to own if it's the real deal. Almost looks too good to be true. A woman up in Woodend had a 60s ES335 for sale on marketplace for like $1600 or something crazy cheap. I thought it was scam and was organising to go look at at and someone grabbed it first sight unseen.

That's pretty terrible. It hasn't aged well. He used to fill the pubs back in the day. My mate loves playing with him, reckons he still gets well paid for all his gigs.

I saw this recently on marketplace. Be nice to own if it's the real deal. Almost looks too good to be true. A woman up in Woodend had a 60s ES335 for sale on marketplace for like $1600 or something crazy cheap. I thought it was scam and was organising to go look at at and someone grabbed it first sight unseen.

Nice strat

That's ridiculous price for the 335. Maybe she was a scorned lover.

Many years ago I advertised my Boss's wife's Mercedes in the trading post for crazy cheap with his number. He was very very pissed. It was delicious.

the new one was a EHB1005MS, nothing massively spectacular but id never played a 5 so thought meh why not and then went totally dif with the fans and the headless...in black of course

I remember getting Merv Cargill to set up guitars back in the day. Is that his son?
I bought a Fender Telecaster off Merv back in the '70s, then had him make me a custom Telecaster in the early '80s- a killer guitar that I sold later to finance a holiday:( I think someone down on the peninsula might have it still.. love to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought a Fender Telecaster off Merv back in the '70s, then had him make me a custom Telecaster in the early '80s- a killer guitar that I sold later to finance a holiday:( I think someone down on the peninsula might have it still.. love to know.
Interesting trivia. The guitar Jim just made for me is number 1505. That's the 505th one Jim has made. Everything under number 1000 was made by Merv...... 20240715_224928.jpg 20240715_224842.jpg 20240715_224909.jpg

Last edited:
the new one was a EHB1005MS, nothing massively spectacular but id never played a 5 so thought meh why not and then went totally dif with the fans and the headless...in black of course

Dope

I've never played a 5 string either.

I can't believe you haven't played it lol

Well since it seems to be a slow footy week for Saints fans, thought I'd add to the git pr0n on display. 🤨 Have to start with this old pic because... saints cap! IMG_20230116_104042.jpg

This one is probably my favourite, this week anyway. Gretsch 6118T Double Anniversary...

IMG_20230308_055148.jpg

And when I wanna get a bit swampy/dirty I'll bust out the TV Jones Powertrons...

IMG_20230211_062857.jpg

😀

Well since it seems to be a slow footy week for Saints fans, thought I'd add to the git pr0n on display. 🤨 Have to start with this old pic because... saints cap!View attachment 2071780

This one is probably my favourite, this week anyway. Gretsch 6118T Double Anniversary...

View attachment 2071781

And when I wanna get a bit swampy/dirty I'll bust out the TV Jones Powertrons...

View attachment 2071782

😀

Dude!

Love Gretsches. It would seem you do too.

I had a double Annie the same as that but stupidly sold it

3 great looking guitars. Is the first one a Billy Bo?

Dude!

Love Gretsches. It would seem you do too.

I had a double Annie the same as that but stupidly sold it

3 great looking guitars. Is the first one a Billy Bo?
Yeah, love me some filtertrons! 😀 Sold the Billy Bo a while ago but still have a few Gretsch guitars, including the Anni. Strangely enough having never really warmed to a strat (played a telecaster for a long time) lately I've been really enjoying a G&L Strat and am kinda starting to get why people like them so much. Better late than never I suppose. I've set up a little home studio in the garden shed and have just started fiddling around with Positive Grid's Bias FX to record directly. Does a pretty reasonable '65 Deluxe Reverb, good enough for my purposes anyway. 🥴😀

By the way, glad you posted a pic of your Strat, it's been a very welcome distraction from too much Dylan Shiel and Tarryn Thomas. 💩

Yeah, love me some filtertrons! 😀 Sold the Billy Bo a while ago but still have a few Gretsch guitars, including the Anni. Strangely enough having never really warmed to a strat (played a telecaster for a long time) lately I've been really enjoying a G&L Strat and am kinda starting to get why people like them so much. Better late than never I suppose. I've set up a little home studio in the garden shed and have just started fiddling around with Positive Grid's Bias FX to record directly. Does a pretty reasonable '65 Deluxe Reverb, good enough for my purposes anyway. 🥴😀

Positive Grid makes great stuff. I've got the little spark mini.

It's probably revealing my addiction too much to say I also owned a G&L Strat back in the day lol. Mine was a Korean made tribute model. Great guitar. I also had a tribute asat (tele) for a long time.

I've had a strange relationship with Strats over the years. I keep selling them. I always think I'm more of a tele guy too. This is the best Strat I've had so I think I'll be hanging onto it. It's also my girlfriend's favourite guitar I own. Reckon she'd kill me if I tried to sell it.

My current tele is a Mexican player series that I put Lollar pickups in. Love it.

Nice mate.

Are the knobs just volume and tone or is there a push/pull thing going on?
Just Volume/tone. I'm running through a Synergy modular preamp setup these days, so it's just plug and play for whatever you want. Running a Mesa MkII C module for rhythm, Fryette Pitbull Ultra Lead module for lead and a Friedman module for cleans. This new baby is kitted with Hetfield Signature EMG's through a Diezel VH4 module, awesome tone.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back