The rankings (from best to worst) of the 128 VFL/AFL premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that a Carlton vs Essendon GF in 2000 would've been a better match than Melbourne.
I agree with that. Although Melbourne were in better form (they had won 10 out of 11 going into the game). The reality was that Essendon was probably about a 4-5 goal better side than Carlton, at least in a statistical sense. When you take a couple of key players out of Carlton, that blows out to 8-10 goals which we saw on Preliminary Final day

Yeah they were impressive especially as an interstate team.

Richmond has the record MCG win streak (22 wins). I’m confident we’d beat anybody at the MCG at our best. Other grounds are a different story.
Geelong maybe?
Collingwood 2018 (PF) - I still believe our best would have lost to Collingwood that night though. It's the best I've seen them play since in the 2010 PF against Geelong.

Geelong maybe?
Collingwood 2018 (PF) - I still believe our best would have lost to Collingwood that night though. It's the best I've seen them play since in the 2010 PF against Geelong.

2018 Dusty was injured and the backline had gastro. Lynch wasn’t even in the team yet.

In finals (plus the full 2018 season) from 2017-2020 we were undefeated at the MCG when fully fit.

Also got the record % win in a GF (456% I believe)

With a record like as well as having the best finals player ever I think it’s hard to argue otherwise.

I only see an argument for Bombers 2000 at the MCG.

And Dimma had an STD. Any other excuses?

2018 PF being "gastro impacted" is as good as fact. Astbury was hospitalised on a drip

Same story for Geelong in the 2021 PF - it happens, & is the simplest explanation of such horrific performances

It's not to say the gasto-teams would have won otherwise, but they certainly would have not curled their toes up the way they did

& vindicating things further, who won the 2019 and 2022 premierships?

2018 PF being "gastro impacted" is as good as fact. Astbury was hospitalised on a drip

Same story for Geelong in the 2021 PF - it happens, & is the simplest explanation of such horrific performances

It's not to say the gasto-teams would have won otherwise, but they certainly would have not curled their toes up the way they did

& vindicating things further, who won the 2019 and 2022 premierships?

Don’t worry they know, they can’t bring themselves to say it as it makes our record look better. Simple as that really.

But anyway Geelong shouldn’t even be mentioned in this thread their 3 premiership teams weren’t top tier imo.

But anyway Geelong shouldn’t even be mentioned in this thread their 3 premiership teams weren’t top tier imo.
If you're talking this century then it's four.

OP has given a justified reason for '07 and '11 Geelong teams being in his top 10 premiership teams of all-time, and '22 a respectable 21st. You on the otherhand have made a complete clown of yourself yet again because he's put the three recent Richmond premiership teams at the arse-end of his rankings, and its riled you up something chronic.

Save it for the shitfight thread rather than derailing every second thread on this website. Here, I'll even bump it for you with a picture of a wooden spoon. Try not report it!

Did Hawthorn think this in '08 when coming up against Geelong, who were on track on beating Essendon's '00 year?

Such BS.

Carlton vs Essendon GF would've been quite interesting. But we needed a full, healthy list to have any chance.
Carlton had 3 cracks and lost all 3 by an average of 5 and a bit goals.

Wouldn't have been interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP has given a justified reason for '07 and '11 Geelong teams being in his top 10 premiership teams of all-time, and '22 a respectable 21st. You on the otherhand have made a complete clown of yourself yet again because he's put the three Richmond premiership teams at the arse-end of his rankings, and its riled you up something chronic.

Save it for the shitfight thread rather than derailing every second thread on this website. Here, I'll even bump it for you with a picture of a wooden spoon. Try not report it!
I can't wait for the new thread that ranks all teams in the history of the game, regardless of whether or not they won the premiership, and we see Collingwood 2011, Geelong 2008 and St. Kilda 2009 in the top 30 or so teams, with the Richmond premiership teams further relegated to outside the top 100 courtesy of the inclusion of better teams from stronger eras who didn't win a flag...

OP has given a justified reason for '07 and '11 Geelong teams being in his top 10 premiership teams of all-time, and '22 a respectable 21st. You on the otherhand have made a complete clown of yourself yet again because he's put the three recent Richmond premiership teams at the arse-end of his rankings, and its riled you up something chronic.

Honestly forgot 2022 existed it was that boring.

But yes, 4 SEPARATE premiership teams. I.e no dynasty.

Don’t think any are worth a mention in this thread. 07,09,22 were against poor oppo/comp and 2011 didn’t even have Ablett.

None of these teams were frightening at the MCG in finals, hence no b2b.

Take the 09 Saints team for example

The best players were:

N Riewoldt (biggest choker ever), Goddard, Milne, Dal Santo,

Now compare to your 2022 team (which isn’t even mentioned in these discussions):

Stewart, Danger, Cameron, Hawkins

I’d take the Geelong 2022 players every day of the week and they have the better coach to top it off.

Keep in mind your 09 Geelong team (considered by most to be your strongest) beat Saints 09 by a fluke.

Now ask yourself again why any Geelong teams would be in these discussions.

Last edited:

But yes, 4 SEPARATE premiership teams. I.e no dynasty.

Don’t think any are worth a mention in this thread. 07,09,22 were against poor oppo/comp and 2011 didn’t even have Ablett.

None of these teams were frightening at the MCG in finals, hence no b2b.

Take the 09 Saints team for example

The best players were:

N Riewoldt (biggest choker ever), Goddard, Milne, Dal Santo,

Now compare to your 2022 team (which isn’t even mentioned in these discussions):

Stewart, Danger, Cameron, Hawkins

I’d take the Geelong 2022 players every day of the week and they have the better coach to top it off.

Keep in mind your 09 Geelong team (considered by most to be your strongest) beat Saints 09 by a fluke.

Now ask yourself again why any Geelong teams would be in these discussions.
literally no one calls our 09 team the strongest lmfao. Geelong 07 > 11 > 22 > 09 > Richmond 17-20 is the clear consensus

Considering you've been in a permanent meltdown state ever since that fateful day I find this very hard to believe. :smilev1:

OP summed up Geelong's 2022 premiership team perfectly I feel, plus 16 wins on the trot including GF day is a monumental achievement.

21.) Geelong 2022. Written off as too old too slow, the 2022 Cats bounced back with the best attack, best defence a percentage of 149%, and a thumping grand Final victory. Bigger, stronger, more versatile, consistent with no obvious weaknesses.

literally no one calls our 09 team the strongest lmfao. Geelong 07 > 11 > 22 > 09 > Richmond 17-20 is the clear consensus

How can that be? You say Richmond 19 were bad because of poor oppo in the 2019 GF in GWS but it’s ok with 07 Geelong. Funny that. 🙄

Also the amount of people that say 09 was the best because it was against the best oppo is vast. Fadge has argued it with his last breath. Take it up with him.

In regards to “consensus” a dynasty team will always be considered better than a non-dynasty one. So yeah.

Last edited:
Now compare that to Richmond’s 2019 and take a seat.
Richmond 2019:
3rd on the ladder
16 wins, 6 losses
113.70%
Biggest win streak = 12

Geelong 2022:
1st on the ladder
18 wins, 4 losses
144.22%
Biggest win streak = 16

Your seat, sir. (excuse the spoon)

4ce076e500893dfe7eabe660e993f482.jpg

Richmond 2019:
3rd on the ladder
16 wins, 6 losses
113.70%
Biggest win streak = 12

Geelong 2022:
1st on the ladder
18 wins, 4 losses
144.22%
Biggest win streak = 16

Your seat, sir. (excuse the spoon)

4ce076e500893dfe7eabe660e993f482.jpg

Now take your big brain. (And Fadge too)

Who was the best team this year Sydney 1st in H&A or Lions 5th in H&A

Your logic doesn’t make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

The rankings (from best to worst) of the 128 VFL/AFL premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back