Video - The rapid collapse of the Richmond FC - poor drafting and list management 2017-2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting take on things. Blames primarily poor drafting and list management between the end of 2017 and 2023 for our current drop off and lack of players who have the ability to.drive the club fwd.

Yes we went on to win 2 flags but we have had 4 years of list management since and very little to show.

Interesting take on things. Blames primarily poor drafting and list management between the end of 2017 and 2023 for our current drop off and lack of players who have the ability to.drive the club fwd.

Yes we went on to win 2 flags but we have had 4 years of list management since and very little to show.

Monty Pythonesque level of comedy value in that video. Laughable analysis.

We’ve had a few busts with picks he’s right about that and saying we’re different to Sydney and Geelong, yeah I’ll agree with that.
But that’s because they are the two most stable clubs in the comp with the longest serving coaches.
We’ve got the least exp Coach, a new President, a new CEO this year, had a terrible run with injuries particularly through the spine, probably the least settled lineup, 21 blokes outve contract and we’re gonna rip half the place to the ground with the Redevelopment.
We’re the most unstable club in the comp at the moment.

One things for sure with the last 7-8 years and the next 3, it isn’t boring!!
🤣🤣

I dont reckon Yze will have a single strand of hair that isn’t grey by the bye next year.
It is a really important period in the club and I hope we get more right than not.
Interesting times!!

Main points of disagreement on drafting/list management? He does have a point that we don't have a heap coming through.

All the main things we don't have coming through is what we haven't had access to due to our high ladder finishes.

If you imposed our 2024 unavailabilities and injuries on any list in history the natural result is a very low finish.

Our current ladder situation is the inevitable result of some very obvious things he has not touched on there:

1. New coaching structure, players needing to get their heads around a new game plan after many years playing a different way.

2. The worst run of injuries I can ever recall Richmond having to cope with. In the top few of what any club has had to cope with. We will lose around 160 games just from our best 23, but if you counted all players that would have been next selected if fit but who were not fit/available when the opportunity came up, the figure must be more like 200+ games missed. So this is around 1/3rd of our best 23 unavailable each game on average, and likely another 2 of the preferred replacements. Our highest paid and rated and most important players are hugely over-represented in these absences.

3. We remain 18th in free kick differential. There is no doubt in my mind the club has had to deal with biased umpiring against them.

4. Dustin Martin playing 13 almost none of them in a fit enough state to be playing AFL football.

"The Rapid Collapse" is actually a team that won 23.5 of its last 45 home and away games before all these injuries hit.

Nobody is in any clear position to judge the quality of our young players, other than to say we don't have any obvious high quality key forwards or inside midfielders coming through.

This type of analysis that guy did in the video is worthless. It is on a level with David King's emphatic statement in 2016 that Richmond along with Carlton had the worst lists in the AFL. It's a fake opinion.

Obviously it’s list management but come on, we had limited opportunities in the draft due to our success. Gibcus is our only top 10 pick since dusty I believe and we’ve yet to see what he can do.
Our lack of free agency and recruitment has let us down compared to Geelong.

Our biggest mistake imo was getting hopper. Fair enough going for Taranto for hopper has just been a nightmare. Now we will draft some promising young mids and hopper will either keep them out of the side or be in the vfl himself and either way it’s a failure considering what we gave up and what we are paying him.

We’ve had a few busts with picks he’s right about that and saying we’re different to Sydney and Geelong, yeah I’ll agree with that.
But that’s because they are the two most stable clubs in the comp with the longest serving coaches.
We’ve got the least exp Coach, a new President, a new CEO this year, had a terrible run with injuries particularly through the spine, probably the least settled lineup, 21 blokes outve contract and we’re gonna rip half the place to the ground with the Redevelopment.

🤣🤣

I dont reckon Yze will have a single strand of hair that isn’t grey by the bye next year.
It is a really important period in the club and I hope we get more right than not.
Interesting times!!
Mate we now have the least experienced coach and admin, the years they are talking about are the dynasty years , where we according to some had the best coach and recruiting team, what happens from here on, we can talk about how green we are, but certainly not 2017-2023

Our biggest mistake imo was getting hopper. Fair enough going for Taranto for hopper has just been a nightmare. Now we will draft some promising young mids and hopper will either keep them out of the side or be in the vfl himself and either way it’s a failure considering what we gave up and what we are paying him.
Send him to Tassie for his last couple of years. They'll need some experience to go with their early draft picks.

Can we keep paying him if we send him there now?

All the main things we don't have coming through is what we haven't had access to due to our high ladder finishes.

If you imposed our 2024 unavailabilities and injuries on any list in history the natural result is a very low finish.

Our current ladder situation is the inevitable result of some very obvious things he has not touched on there:

1. New coaching structure, players needing to get their heads around a new game plan after many years playing a different way.

2. The worst run of injuries I can ever recall Richmond having to cope with. In the top few of what any club has had to cope with. We will lose around 160 games just from our best 23, but if you counted all players that would have been next selected if fit but who were not fit/available when the opportunity came up, the figure must be more like 200+ games missed. So this is around 1/3rd of our best 23 unavailable each game on average, and likely another 2 of the preferred replacements. Our highest paid and rated and most important players are hugely over-represented in these absences.

3. We remain 18th in free kick differential. There is no doubt in my mind the club has had to deal with biased umpiring against them.

4. Dustin Martin playing 13 almost none of them in a fit enough state to be playing AFL football.

"The Rapid Collapse" is actually a team that won 23.5 of its last 45 home and away games before all these injuries hit.

Nobody is in any clear position to judge the quality of our young players, other than to say we don't have any obvious high quality key forwards or inside midfielders coming through.

This type of analysis that guy did in the video is worthless. It is on a level with David King's emphatic statement in 2016 that Richmond along with Carlton had the worst lists in the AFL. It's a fake opinion.
1 agree
2 agree to a point , if we had a better conditioning and fitness team maybe we wouldn’t have so many back, soft tissue injuries that take forever to come good
3 club has been mute on this do self imposed
4 agree

The lack of key forwards was a result of the obsession of selecting hbf, so club imposed

And finally David King called the swans the best team since the millennium so fake opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🤣🤣

Interesting times!!
Fair enough , but the rot set in when we had a stable CEO, President, coach and FD in general. We drank our own bath water even after everyone urinated in it.
All the future analysis I agree with.

Mate we now have the least experienced coach and admin, the years they are talking about are the dynasty years , where we according to some had the best coach and recruiting team, what happens from here on, we can talk about how green we are, but certainly not 2017-2023
Yeah, there’s a few busts, picking from the Covid years was a bit of a lottery.
Kids didn’t play.

Picks after 2017 and 18.
We weren’t getting a look at the cream of the crop…Higgins got his nose outve joint, CCJ was too impatient.
Really pulled the wrong rein that bloke, could’ve made him last year and this.

Fair enough , but the rot set in when we had a stable CEO, President, coach and FD in general. We drank our own bath water even after everyone urinated in it.
All the future analysis I agree with.
The further we get away from the last flag the more I think Hardwick shafted the club.

We also had an incredible run with selecting players outside the draft prior to 2018 that we are measuring against.

We also got bumped further down with GC PP and got stiffed on the Ellis compensation.
Compared to North and Eagles, we’ve earned our spot on the bottom.

And I reckon the AFL has enjoyed it

The further we get away from the last flag the more I think Hardwick shafted the club.

We also had an incredible run with selecting players outside the draft prior to 2018 that we are measuring against.

We also got bumped further down with GC PP and got stiffed on the Ellis compensation.
Compared to North and Eagles, we’ve earned our spot on the bottom.

And I reckon the AFL has enjoyed it
They’ve been cracking the Moët every day

Yeah think most expect miracles with most gone and ones left are same ones that got us no young talent. I hope we nail this draft and make right decisions otherwise the spoon will be the last of our worries. Some worrying times that's for sure.

Meh. We are paying the price for winning 3 flags and being in contention for a long period of time.

Every team goes through it, some do without the success
No we are paying for terrible youngster drafting. We perfected the other clubs ready made players but f up the other. I guess a mixture of good talent and ready made is not considered.

This old premise of depth players winning us flags. No we had a bunch of stars like I haven't seen since the 1980 side.

Rance and Martin, the two best players for their positions I have seen at Richmond. Riewoldt, behind Hart and Richo as the best forward, just shading Roach. Vlastuin as good a half back as we have seen. Astbury as good a full back as we have seen in 30 years. Cotchin, the best leader at the club since I can't remember. Prestia star, Lynch, star. Edwards mercurial. Grimes star, Houli star. Lambert bloody good. Broad bloody good. Nankervis the enforcer. Rioli, what a player he has turned into. What a side.

Drafting in regard to first round picks granted in the following years has been poor, but given Gibcus is the only below 10 for years, and he might still be a star, we have to be patient. Roll players did not win us the flag.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Video - The rapid collapse of the Richmond FC - poor drafting and list management 2017-2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back