The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Duncan has opted in. One last run with Duncan by the looks of it... How sweet it would be to end his career as a back to back champ :D

Just a thought: Pop has said he will probably go when Duncan retires... What if this is hinting to the fact Duncan may take over from Pop? He obviously has a massive passion for the game and knows the Spurs system inside and out, probably almost as well as Pop. I'm thinking it's highly likely.

Probably a 5% chance of the happening IMO. Will probably own a share of the team like D Rob or do something in the front office MAYBE. Said on Letterman just today that Pop wants him to coach but he doesn't feel like thats something wants to do after his career has finished. Would be great if that happened though.. Maybe a few years after he retires and spends some time with his kids he decides to come back...

Just a thought: Pop has said he will probably go when Duncan retires... What if this is hinting to the fact Duncan may take over from Pop? He obviously has a massive passion for the game and knows the Spurs system inside and out, probably almost as well as Pop. I'm thinking it's highly likely.

My impression from Pop's comments during the playoffs are that he will likely still hang around even after Duncan retires... and I reckon he has too much invested in this roster to leave anytime soon - would probably want to hang around to help develop Kawhi, and also groom a successor.

I dont think of Duncan as a coach - I get the sense that once his playing career is done he will get as far away from the public eye as he can - though probably stay connected to the spurs somehow.

Probably will have a share in the team like D Rob.

What did you think of our draft pick up, Kyle Anderson? I actually think he'll fit with the team really well passes well and hits open shots - we did need a backup for Kawhi and we may have found it. He'll defiantly spend a lot of time with Chip working on his jump shot which needs work. I look forward to seeing how he goes in the summer league.

Yep, we've got the best shooting coach in the league, so his shot shouldn't be an issue. If we can turn him into a half decent defender, we've got a very good player on our hands.

you have another point forward
20140320_jla_ah2_468.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Dangubic's Draft Express profile contradicts itself. In one paragraph it says he's a poor ball handler, then in the next paragraph it says he has great handles. :S

Even better news:
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-patty-mills-spurs-agree-to-3-year-deal.html

3years, $12m for Mills is about right IMO. Much better pay than what he was on so far, and probably just enough to ward off any higher bids that would've come his way from elsewhere... I was worried we were gonna have to creep up into the 6-8m/yr range to keep him - so very happy with the cap flexibility this leaves the Spurs.

Next question is about how much we can get Boris to stay for... I think anywhere from 6-10m/yr over 2-3 years would be appropriate (hopefully he agrees to the lower end of that range).

Yeah hopefully Boris falls into that price range.. Were a sneaky chance for Pau and to be honest I think he would be crazy not to join the Spurs. Will get roughly the same money OKC would offer and with Duncan almost certain to retire at the end of next season would be a nice replacement for him. Duncan, Splitter, Diaw and Gasol.... That is just scary. Won't happen but damn it would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah hopefully Boris falls into that price range.. Were a sneaky chance for Pau and to be honest I think he would be crazy not to join the Spurs.t roughly the same money OKC would offer and with Duncan almost certain to retire at the end of next season would be a nice replacement for him. Duncan, Splitter, Diaw and Gasol.... That is just scary. Won't happen but damn it would be nice.

Yeah I saw that as well.

Honestly, I think OKC would be a better option for him - would automatically be their best big man and fit straight into their starting 5, their stars are much younger, and they would have more cap flexibility, particularly if they can do something with Perks contract.

I would love him as a Spur, and it would give him the best chance for a ring next year if he wants one, and our style really suits him - but it is questionable where he would fit into our 4-bigs rotation if Diaw returns - I don't think either party looks at it seriously if Diaw comes back.
However - if Boris leaves for a much better offer (possible) then Pau would fit right in as a replacement to keep us as the team to beat next year, and we would have more money to offer him... I think that would be a big part of any discussion with him

Yeah I saw that as well.

Honestly, I think OKC would be a better option for him - would automatically be their best big man and fit straight into their starting 5, their stars are much younger, and they would have more cap flexibility, particularly if they can do something with Perks contract.

I would love him as a Spur, and it would give him the best chance for a ring next year if he wants one, and our style really suits him - but it is questionable where he would fit into our 4-bigs rotation if Diaw returns - I don't think either party looks at it seriously if Diaw comes back.
However - if Boris leaves for a much better offer (possible) then Pau would fit right in as a replacement to keep us as the team to beat next year, and we would have more money to offer him... I think that would be a big part of any discussion with him

What I thought as well with him going to OKC. I don't see Diaw leaving I think he'll re-sign. Gasol would get plenty of minutes in the Spurs rotation and could potentially start with Duncan. None of them care about their minutes and it would allow Duncan even more rest throughout the season. A big man rotation of those 4 would be so good but as you said it makes more sense for him to go to OKC and play starter minutes rather than 15-25 mins for us. Better shot at winning a title with us however.

Suprised no-one posted this yet:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11183424/boris-diaw-agrees-re-sign-san-antonio-spurs
Hey spurs fans, Good news i stay in san antonio for a few more years. Lets win it again #gospursgo http://t.co/dqkftfLuN1
- Boris Diaw (@theborisdiaw) July 6, 2014

Great news to pretty much keep last season's team together. (I don't know if Red Mamba will be re-signed, maybe at the Vet's minimum, or keep him within the club in some sort of capacity if he wants to stay... and Baynes is still left to re-sign).

Kyle Anderson could be useful, and hopefully we re-sign Baynes, who should make some improvement on last year.

Honestly it would suprise to see the Spurs make any big moves in free agency.

Only big move the Spurs would make is signing Gasol who by reports is strongly considering the Spurs. Probably won't happen unfortunately. I would love to get Channing Frye or Josh McRoberts on this team.

Looks as though the only new player on the team will be Kyle Anderson. Would expect him to spend a fair chunk of time with the Toros.

Just in case none of you know here is our summer league roster: http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/140708_spurs_summer_league_roster

Looking forward to seeing how Kyle Anderson performs (will hopefully play a bit of the point) and seeing whether Deshaun Thomas has improved over the last 12 months, I thought after his strong performances he was going to make the roster but that wasn't the case. Hopefully he has improved on his defence and has gotten a little bit quicker moving around on the court which were two of his main weaknesses.

A little surprised to see Ayres of the roster but he and Daye need all the improvement they can get tbh.

Keep an eye on Cotton and Denmon as those two could earn a spot on the team (highly unlikely) due to the injury to Patty.

Overall I just want to get a good look at Kyle Anderson and see the improvements in Daye & Thomas' game.

Just in case none of you know here is our summer league roster: http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/140708_spurs_summer_league_roster

Looking forward to seeing how Kyle Anderson performs (will hopefully play a bit of the point) and seeing whether Deshaun Thomas has improved over the last 12 months, I thought after his strong performances he was going to make the roster but that wasn't the case. Hopefully he has improved on his defence and has gotten a little bit quicker moving around on the court which were two of his main weaknesses.

A little surprised to see Ayres of the roster but he and Daye need all the improvement they can get tbh.

Keep an eye on Cotton and Denmon as those two could earn a spot on the team (highly unlikely) due to the injury to Patty.

Overall I just want to get a good look at Kyle Anderson and see the improvements in Daye & Thomas' game.

Yep - looking forward to see how Anderson goes, in particular. From the videos I've seen - the guys has great court vision and passing ability, but his real lack of athleticism could make him a one-trick-pony offensively and a liability defensively... hopefully the Spurs coaching staff can find ways to fix that. (and Boris could be the ideal guy to learn from).
And hopefully a couple of those other guys can slowly develop into reasonable role players.

Also glad to see Udoka coaching the team - since BB and Budenholzer left, he has quietly been spoken up as Pop's eventual successor - the more opportunities like this he gets the better.
Noticed another name on that coaching roster:
Matt Nielson
(I can't find another Matt Nielson on wikipedia, and we do have a long affiliation with aussies, and Matty did do some coaching work with the Wildcats this year) - would be great to see him develop a coaching role.

Best news yet:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-agrees-multiyear-extension-san-antonio-spurs

They haven't released any details, but "multiyear" suggests that he will hang around longer even if Timmy does retires next season, which is what I would've expected given how much he has invested in the younger guys on the squad.

Woj says 4-5 years which is great.

Will be interesting to see how he coaches the team after Timmy and Manu leave. If the team keeps winning and contending after they have gone, then it really will cement Pop as one of the all time greats.

Will be interesting to see how he coaches the team after Timmy and Manu leave. If the team keeps winning and contending after they have gone, then it really will cement Pop as one of the all time greats.

I would say more of the same - focus on defence-first, and use an offensive structure that fits the strengths of the players you have.

I think defensively we will be set- with Tiago, Kawhi, Green and Parker who will continue to be the core of the team - and if Kawhi steps up and Patty stays, then Manu should be replaceable - but we will hard pressed to find a big man to replace Duncan. (And we aren't the type of organisation to throw big money at someone like Davis (though I would love if we did)).

I think that sans Manu/Timmy we would still be a 40+ win team, but the problem is in the West, that wouldn't be enough to garauntee you stay in the playoffs, or be anywhere near the contenders.

Last edited:
I would say more of the same - focus on defence-first, and use an offensive structure that fits the strengths of the players you have.

I think defensively we will be set- with Tiago, Kawhi, Green and Parker who will continue to be the core of the team - and if Kawhi steps up and Patty stays, then Manu should be replaceable - but we will hard pressed to find a big man to replace Duncan. (And we aren't the type of organisation to throw big money at someone like Davis (though I would love if we did)).

I think that sans Manu/Timmy we would still be a 40+ win team, but the problem is in the West, that wouldn't be enough to garauntee you stay in the playoffs, or be anywhere near the contenders.

It's unlikely to happen but IF the Spurs somehow sign Gasol he could just prolong Duncan's career another 2 years. I read that we're a favourite to get him still and Parker has spoken to Gasol about how he wants to play with him. Having Pop at the helm after Duncan and Ginobili are gone should attract big free agents once they're gone, and we will have the cap space to get a big free agent. Knowing Pop can get the best out of players it would be attractive to them to play with the best coach in the league. As you mentioned we should still have a solid core of players, especially if Leonard pans out into the star he could become we will still be a top team in the West.

Parker said he wants to play another 3 or 4 years, I can see Pop retiring from coaching once Parker retires. I don't think Pop could leave coaching while Tony is still on the team and during those 3-5 years Pop will be looking out for our future coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back