The season so far- Club by Club

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not far off half way through the season so I thought I would make a comment on each club and where I think they are at.

Adelaide- A genuine Contender. Forgetting about their game on the weekend, they are right in the mix. A well balanced team.

Brisbane- Should definetly play finals football. Any team with Brown, Black and Power have a fair start. Their youngsters are also coming through.

Carlton- Have improved a lot. Will win their share of games. A great mid field

Collingwood- Close losses to Bris and Kangas could have hurt them. Have been inconsistent but the big win over Cats could turn this around. In the mix for the top 4.

Essendon- Worst team in the competition at the moment and could be headed for a wooden spoon.

Freo- The great disappointment. Surely they will start to win some games as the year progresses. Unfortunately for them the horse has bolted.

Geelong- Havent been playing well but have been good enough to be 8 and 1. Still the Premiership favourite along with the Hawks.

Hawthorn- Havent put a foot wrong and deserve Premiership favouritsm with the Cats.

Melbourne- Are playing with more spirit and structure than at the start of the year. Will win a few games as the year progresses.

Kangas- Why do people not rate them? In the mix again for a top 4 spot. They just won't go away.

Port- A good team that had a horrible start. Will get stronger and stronger but would want to make their move very quickly.

Richmond- Another big improver playing with more structure and spirit. Probably a bit stiff not to have a few more wins. Will cause some trouble throughout the rest of 08.

Swans- Always there abouts and a very very good team.

Saints- Another bitter disappointment. I just cant work them out.

West Coast- A great win on the weekend. Rebuilding and on the improve. Still tough to beat over West

Western Bullies- Have been fabulous all year and deserve to be right in the mix. Even were good in their loss tonight. Next few weeks are crucial for a top four spot.

this is more accurate than the crap that was written up top. of course we're doing bad, of course geelong/hawthorn are doing good. get over yourselves collingwood and stop waiting for people to come praise you.

it ain't gunna happen.

This thread is not about Collingwood or not about Essendon. Stop your insane Collingwood jealousy and stick to the thread.

We are not far off half way through the season so I thought I would make a comment on each club and where I think they are at.

Adelaide- A genuine Contender. Forgetting about their game on the weekend, they are right in the mix. A well balanced team.
Tough draw remaining. just like previous years, not a serious contender. 4 to 8th,
Brisbane- Should definetly play finals football. Any team with Brown, Black and Power have a fair start. Their youngsters are also coming through.
need to find some consistancy. should be around 5th. too hard to crack top 4 from here.
Carlton- Have improved a lot. Will win their share of games. A great mid field
will be happy with 8th, but will probably finish 9th or 10th.
Collingwood- Close losses to Bris and Kangas could have hurt them. Have been inconsistent but the big win over Cats could turn this around. In the mix for the top 4.
when rocca fires, pies fire. but he doesnt do it consistantly enough and is getting old. can beat anybody, and lose to anybody. could finish anywhere from 5th to 10th,
Essendon- Worst team in the competition at the moment and could be headed for a wooden spoon.
yep, spooners.
Freo- The great disappointment. Surely they will start to win some games as the year progresses. Unfortunately for them the horse has bolted.
freo must be tanking before gc come in.
Geelong- Havent been playing well but have been good enough to be 8 and 1. Still the Premiership favourite along with the Hawks.
i think the pies exposed them. other sides will beat them more in the later half. i dont think they are top 2. probably finish 3rd or 4th
Hawthorn- Havent put a foot wrong and deserve Premiership favouritsm with the Cats.
real tests are going to be playing others in the top 6.
Melbourne- Are playing with more spirit and structure than at the start of the year. Will win a few games as the year progresses.
getting better, should finish higher than essendon. maybe even freo.
Kangas- Why do people not rate them? In the mix again for a top 4 spot. They just won't go away.
like last year, they manage to win the close ones which gets them higher in the ladder than really warranted. look at their percentage of around 100%. same as last year. finals finds them out though.
Port- A good team that had a horrible start. Will get stronger and stronger but would want to make their move very quickly.
good, but not good enough. 5th to 10th.
Richmond- Another big improver playing with more structure and spirit. Probably a bit stiff not to have a few more wins. Will cause some trouble throughout the rest of 08.
showing a bit, but not wining enough games. wallace should keep his job which will keep us footy fans amused.
Swans- Always there abouts and a very very good team.
adapting well to barry halls absence. hard to believe a team which plays both playfair and roberts-thompson is capable of wining games of footy.
easy run home, and halls return means they are a chance for top 4. couple of games to catch up though.
Saints- Another bitter disappointment. I just cant work them out.
it all looks gloomy doesnt it. hard to find positives especially as everyone thinks your best player is leaving to go back home in 2 years.
West Coast- A great win on the weekend. Rebuilding and on the improve. Still tough to beat over West
given up this year, but will put in the odd good game.
Western Bullies- Have been fabulous all year and deserve to be right in the mix. Even were good in their loss tonight. Next few weeks are crucial for a top four spot.
just about everyone in footy wishes the dogs well, but as always height is a worry, especially come finals time. should be top 4.

Tough draw remaining. just like previous years, not a serious contender. 4 to 8th,

need to find some consistancy. should be around 5th. too hard to crack top 4 from here.

when rocca fires, pies fire. but he doesnt do it consistantly enough and is getting old. can beat anybody, and lose to anybody. could finish anywhere from 5th to 10th,

yep, spooners.

i think the pies exposed them. other sides will beat them more in the later half. i dont think they are top 2. probably finish 3rd or 4th

like last year, they manage to win the close ones which gets them higher in the ladder than really warranted. look at their percentage of around 100%. same as last year. finals finds them out though.

showing a bit, but not wining enough games. wallace should keep his job which will keep us footy fans amused.

adapting well to barry halls absence. hard to believe a team which plays both playfair and roberts-thompson is capable of wining games of footy.
easy run home, and halls return means they are a chance for top 4. couple of games to catch up though.

it all looks gloomy doesnt it. hard to find positives especially as everyone thinks your best player is leaving to go back home in 2 years.

just about everyone in footy wishes the dogs well, but as always height is a worry, especially come finals time. should be top 4.

Cheers mate. Thanks for the input to the topic.

Disagree. I think they played way above themselves last year and were lucky that a few of the other teams fell over. Basically they did a Steven Bradbury last year and are being found out this year. 9th-12th

i understand that you are entitled to your opinion , but , as with every team ,the real test comes when you play top 6 teams.

i dont know if you know who Hawks have played but to beat

Freo @ Subi
Kangas
Adel
Bris @ Gabba
Coll
and
Port

and be 9-0 , i think they deserve a little more credit than what you give.

im not saying they are going to win the premiership this year but give them the credit you would give your own side if they had acheived the same.

Not winning enough games? To do what? We won 3.5 games for all of last year, and we've already equalled that after only nine rounds this year, and really should have been on 5 wins by now.

i understand that you are entitled to your opinion , but , as with every team ,the real test comes when you play top 6 teams.

i dont know if you know who Hawks have played but to beat

Freo @ Subi
Kangas
Adel
Bris @ Gabba
Coll
and
Port

and be 9-0 , i think they deserve a little more credit than what you give.

im not saying they are going to win the premiership this year but give them the credit you would give your own side if they had acheived the same.

If it makes your insecure heart feel better, I think you are the team to beat this year. Even ahead of Geelong. But until you've played Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney, etc, its difficult to really rate you.

Not winning enough games? To do what? We won 3.5 games for all of last year, and we've already equalled that after only nine rounds this year, and really should have been on 5 wins by now.

From an outsiders view, Richmond appear to be travelling quite well this year, but when you go look at the ladder they are well down from where you'd expect them to be. Its just a perception thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, spooners.

So according to you, the only side with any upside in the second half of the season will be Sydney? Who do you support again?

South Of The Yarra - Great analysis. :thumbsu:

Adelaide - Abberation on the weekend. Good side, but a tricky draw. Expect them to finish 5th or 6th.

Brisbane - Will play finals. Good side and will be a serious contender in '09.

Carlton - Improving. Not good enough to make the finals this year but should be in the mix next year. Somewhere between 9th and 12th for the Blues this year.

Collingwood - I really don't know. They're fantastic against some sides (My mob and Geelong) but have the ability to lose games that they should win. Will definitely play finals and can beat anyone on their day.

Essendon - Will probably take the wooden spoon. Might be a chance to win the odd game when Lucas comes back in the 2nd half of the year.

Fremantle - Much better than their win/loss record suggests. Just don't know how to win games. They'll probably finish in the bottom 4, but will be better in '09.

Geelong - Been up for a while and looked flat on Friday night. Provided the hunger is there, they're still the team to beat. Will finish 1st or 2nd.

Hawthorn - Keep winning. Hodge to come back too. Will finish 1st or 2nd you'd think, it's just a matter if they can hold their form. Definite flag threat.

Melbourne - Improving. Couple of years away but on the right track.

North Melbourne - Good, tough unit. Will make the finals and obviously a chance to make the top 4.

Port Adelaide - Unlucky to have not won a few more games. Can still press for a spot in the 8 but have made it tough for themselves.

Richmond - Improved in leaps and bounds this year. Could have been in the finals mix but let a couple of games slip. You'd expect them to play finals in '09.

St.Kilda - Had plenty of injuries, but have been disappointing. Surprised they've won 4 games to be honest. I don't think they can make it.

Sydney - Going well, with Hall, Kennelly and Davis to come back. Got a pretty good draw from here, and should be somewhere near the top 4 at season's end.

West Coast - Plenty of good kids and with Kerr to come back, they'll be pretty tough to beat in the 2nd half of the year, especially in W.A. Won't be a long period down the bottom for the Eagles.

Bulldogs - Had a great start to the year. The top 4 spot is theirs to hold onto, just depends if they can hold their form. Only time will tell, in deciding whether they're the real deal or not.

From an outsiders view, Richmond appear to be travelling quite well this year, but when you go look at the ladder they are well down from where you'd expect them to be. Its just a perception thing.
Interesting that you'd expect us to be higher. I'm assuming you would have been one of the many that picked us to finish bottom at the start of the year? The Bulldogs draw and the Saints loss will certainly bite us in the arse come the end of the year. We'd be in the eight if not for those two games.

If it makes your insecure heart feel better, I think you are the team to beat this year. Even ahead of Geelong. But until you've played Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney, etc, its difficult to really rate you.

if we beat sydney in r15 then we deserve to be faveroutes, but becuase we are 9-0 and not played the swans the dogs and the cats is disapointing becuase i,d rather be 9-0 and played atleast one of these sides...

i do think that hawthorn will defeat the swans this year becuase on the back of their minds will be r22 2007 80+ loss will be wanting to revenge that..

I agree with ur list but I love how people underestimate us I love it an I know when our players/officals hear critacisim about us they like it to we won't give up till the final siren that's what I like about us we are ONE.. I think we will battle for finals we have a tough tough run... bris(gabba) cats(td) freo(subi) hawks(mcg) there our next 4 games they could result in 3 losses or even worse 4 an there are 3 teams there that have a knack on smashing sides so im scared with our low pesentage we could get really hurt come dying rounds (this quote didn't have much to do with the blog reason y I can't blog yet for 2 more days sorry)

Remove this Banner Ad

The season so far- Club by Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back