The showing of gruesome injuries on the telecast

Remove this Banner Ad

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What is your opinion of how Channel 7 handled last night’s incident?

For me, I think they exist to broadcast what happens in the game from first to last siren. If they believe people seeing a broken arm is that traumatic it’s not hard to say “we’re going to show the replay, look away now if you’re squeamish”.

I, like many others I’m sure wanted to see the replay of that amazing contest and what happened afterwards. Knowing whether it was a broken lower arm, upper arm, dislocated elbow, whatever.

The Nathan Brown broken leg (while long ago now) is iconic footage and I don’t think too many people were fainting in their living rooms. The argument about “protecting the players family” is a weird one too, I’d say most of them would be at the ground anyway and the ones that aren’t I’m sure would want to know what has happened to them like the rest of us. He’s not been beheaded, just injured.

For me, I think they exist to broadcast what happens in the game from first to last siren. If they believe people seeing a broken arm is that traumatic it’s not hard to say “we’re going to show the replay, look away now if you’re squeamish”.

I, like many others I’m sure wanted to see the replay of that amazing contest and what happened afterwards. Knowing whether it was a broken lower arm, upper arm, dislocated elbow, whatever.

The Nathan Brown broken leg (while long ago now) is iconic footage and I don’t think too many people were fainting in their living rooms. The argument about “protecting the players family” is a weird one too, I’d say most of them would be at the ground anyway and the ones that aren’t I’m sure would want to know what has happened to them like the rest of us. He’s not been beheaded, just injured.

I would say a line is crossed when the injury features a protruding bone, as was apparently the case last night.

I didn't want to see the extent of the injury last night, Howe's expression said it all. It's each broadcast channels right of course though given what happened last night, I think they made the right call. We can only imagine how horrid the injury was. We see twisted knees, dislocations, concussions often, protruding bones I think doesn't need to be shown.

I was at the ground on the wing when Brown broke his leg v Melbourne. You could hear the crack. That was something else......

Hope Howe recovers quickly, quality footballer and much admired bloke.

Seeing a replay of a gruesome injury is nothing compared to the traumatic, anguish-filled, disturbing, distressing and downright nasty experience that is listening to the channel 7 commentary team.
/thread

Seriously who cares if they choose not to show it at the time, it’s gonna be all over socials soon enough.
Maybe in the past they’ve had feedback from players and families that they don’t want graphic footage of their injuries shown because their kids and families are watching. Just maybe.

Seeing a replay of a gruesome injury is nothing compared to the traumatic, anguish-filled, disturbing, distressing and downright nasty experience that is listening to the channel 7 commentary team.
BT is unbearable this year. Not that he hasn't been in previous years but he somehow has managed to get even worse this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen the Voss horror broke leg injury, Jason Snell ankle holding on by a thread injury and Hird busted up head with blood going everywhere injury and only the last one looks worse than what it really is. I do not care if they show the Hird one or not but once you seen one or two of the Voss and Snell injuries you do not really want to see some part of body and bones in total different directions to where they should be. I have no issue if they do not show it immediately after as I am sure it worse for family members. They do not need to be put through that if it can be avoided.
I mean you can work out the basic force of injury through Howe's arm, ankle and hand to know the whole force of his body weight with the momentum he already had to have to be worn on those body parts as he hits the turn through that arm. Poor fella. He would have been in horrible pain and shock. Felt sorry for players that saw it up close. Saw Rohan check to see how Howe was but I think it would have put Gary Rohan through some shock to see it up close and what Howe was going through.
It up there with three or four worst injuries I seen.

Happy not to see up close replay over and over moments later.

If they do show it then it can pretty quickly become disaster pr0n.

It’s basically appealing to some of our lowest instincts as humans to show it, the car crash affect, when our morbid curiosity overtakes our concern for another human.

If it’s a bad one then I’m happy for them not to show it. If you really want to see it, then it’ll be up on social media very quickly. It’s not censored, you’ll be able to find it very quickly. I think that’s an okay compromise these days.

There was a mod rush to clean up discussion of this on the thread last night to focus on the "game". Maybe that felt justifiable at the time, fair enough, a decision was made and acted on.

But it isn't pr0n or abuse or discrimination, it was just a part of the game. Do we need such protection, and I would ask soberly the next day, protection from what? It does seem to me as a head in the sand type thing. Show the facts, let people know the nature of the game.

I don’t see an issue either way.

You either say “might not be for everyone so look away” and show it.

Or

You say “it’s a broken arm, badly broken” which is all the information you need and those who want to go see it will.

Not sure we need a sook about everything. For every dickhead who complains about “pussification” of society, I reckon this incessant need to whinge and criticise everything is far worse. Your day wasn’t actually impacted or made worse by their decision not to show it, so get the **** over it. No one hurt you you pussy so don’t sook biggiemediums

FWIW I went back on Kayo and looked at it - fractures are a part of my job - so I had a morbid curiosity as to “how bad”. Those who didn’t want to see it, didn’t have to see it. Oh no!

There was a mod rush to clean up discussion of this on the thread last night to focus on the "game". Maybe that felt justifiable at the time, fair enough, a decision was made and acted on.

But it isn't pr0n or abuse or discrimination, it was just a part of the game. Do we need such protection, and I would ask soberly the next day, protection from what? It does seem to me as a head in the sand type thing. Show the facts, let people know the nature of the game.

Is reporting the facts not adequate? Commentators saying he’s broken his arm. That’s facts. Are you telling me you sat there tin foil hat on saying no I need to see it with my own eyes?

fine for consenting adults but not fine for a television station to assume they have parents consent to show the kids watching.

if the broadcaster wants to market themselves as family friendly they need to broadcast the content that is not "mature audiences" not just look away as this is placing the decision with the kids not the parents

Is reporting the facts not adequate? Commentators saying he’s broken his arm. That’s facts. Are you telling me you sat there tin foil hat on saying no I need to see it with my own eyes?
The thread was stopped from talking about it, comrade.

Pussified society. It's not a snuff film. It's a part of the game. Honestly not even close to being "brutal" or "gruesome" as some have put it.

those 6 year olds need to harden up

Just show it you big bunch of somethings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back