Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy Brayshaw looks like a little boy out there against most midfields now. He’s 183cm and plays like a 178cm mid. Coupled with Serong and we just aren’t big or good enough. Erasmus is miles off it and Johnson is 3 years away from consistently impacting as a first choice mid in a finals side.

Schultz should be dropped for a month for (a) looking for that cheapie from Amiss in the first place and (b) missing it from ****ing 10m out directly in front. Seriously - I don’t want to hear any posters this week telling us he’s anything other than a C grade battler. A role player in a bottom 6 team that’s all.

Pathetic. Losing like that to that embarrassing excuse for a football club is one of our worst losses in a long, long time.

This is obviously kneejerk emotion, but right now I honestly couldn't care less if JLo got sacked tomorrow. Sick of us showing no fight or spirit the minute other teams come at us with any sort of intensity.

Carlton did a very professional job at outmuscling us. They were physically tougher for longer. Their tackles resulted in turnovers and us panicking. Our tackles were managed easily by Carlton. It was honest and uncarlton like. This is what Carlton should be doing on a more regular basis. We were broken by the third quarter.

Screenshot_20230709-171137-772~2.png

Carlton did a very professional job at outmuscling us. They were physically tougher for longer. Their tackles resulted in turnovers and us panicking. Our tackles were managed easily by Carlton. It was honest and uncarlton like. This is what Carlton should be doing on a more regular basis. We were broken by the third quarter.

View attachment 1733523
Lack of experience doesn't excuse poor effort, confidence, poor pressure, poor movement, no follow up efforts or hard running. I wonder what ties all those things together 🤔

Sometimes I'm glad I can't watch live most weeks.

My internet sh*t itself in the first qtr right as Amiss was lining up to take his shot.

After 20 minutes of f**king around trying to get it to work, and getting progressively grumpier and grumpier, I finally resorted to watching using my phone hotspot.

Lo and behold my internet finally comes back online literally 2 minutes after the game ended. I think my ISP was actually trying to do me a favour.

Midfield slaughtered despite our overwhelming ruck dominance. HOs and HOs to advantage mean nothing without the clearances.

No wonder our baseline is racking up possessions, our midfield can't seem to do anything to win the contest.

Bizarre. Maybe losing that midfield coach was a problem after all. With our midfield and back line we should not be getting beaten that badly, despite how young we are.

Andy Brayshaw looks like a little boy out there against most midfields now. He’s 183cm and plays like a 178cm mid. Coupled with Serong and we just aren’t big or good enough. Erasmus is miles off it and Johnson is 3 years away from consistently impacting as a first choice mid in a finals side.

Schultz should be dropped for a month for (a) looking for that cheapie from Amiss in the first place and (b) missing it from ******* 10m out directly in front. Seriously - I don’t want to hear any posters this week telling us he’s anything other than a C grade battler. A role player in a bottom 6 team that’s all.
Thought Erasmus was good once he took Johnson's place in the midfield.
Agree about Brayshaw and Schultz. Serong doesn't seem to have the explosiveness to get away from the stoppage either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz and Hughes are not AFL standard players and will never play in a grand final winning team. Switkowski has AFL standard skills but is too small to consistently impact games. Walker, Erasmus and Treacy have time on their side, but look unlikely to become anything more than C grade players.

Someone made a great point on Twitter about the flag by 2025 plan.
We forget that there is about 10 other teams also with strategic plans to win a flag by 2025.
And we are worse than nearly all of them

He should be making changes or doing something to change the game up. RTB did this constantly. We get the same old with JL and its pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Justin doesn't change things enough, I agree. The fact that the inside mids in the last were. Brayshaw,Serong and someone else, say's it all really.
I was more referring to the motivation to play well. That should be intrinsic, not extrinsic.

Leadership is massively overrated.
Pearce, JOM, Switkowski were pathetic. Won’t drop one of them.

Midfield yet again smashed, and what do they do? Repeat the same group.
Get Young, Frederick, Schulz in there. Anyone.
Need some size and strength in there. We are far too small and light

Schultz should be dropped for a month for (a) looking for that cheapie from Amiss in the first place and (b) missing it from ******* 10m out directly in front. Seriously - I don’t want to hear any posters this week telling us he’s anything other than a C grade battler. A role player in a bottom 6 team that’s all.
C grader is a little generous

Why did I have this feeling we were gonna lose to Carlton at home today?

If there is any positives out of this game, please let me know.

Only positive I found was I put $50 on Carlton at $2. So I get $100 back to back on my misery. Off to the pub then.

Insipid.
Only positive for me was Luke Ryan.
We were never clean, only fumbling around contests, couldn’t hit uncontested targets, rarely any leading from f50, and felt like a lack of pressure around the ground.
Honestly one of the worst performances I’ve seen for some time at home

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Us sliding down to see WCE.

Schultz and Hughes are not AFL standard players and will never play in a grand final winning team. Switkowski has AFL standard skills but is too small to consistently impact games. Walker, Erasmus and Treacy have time on their side, but look unlikely to become anything more than C grade players.
Freddy too. In the system a long time now and never taken a game by the scruff of the neck, like even Switta or Schultz have done once or twice. Just a nothing sort of player bar a few minutes of brilliance a season. Worst thing though is that he has a degree of talent but is just lazy. Only time he pulled his finger out was after his drinking suspension. If he tried as much as a lesser player like Banfield he'd do ok. I've given up on him. A year and a half ago he was one of my favorite players. Just taking a free ride now though.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Justin doesn't change things enough, I agree. The fact that the inside mids in the last were. Brayshaw,Serong and someone else, say's it all really.
I was more referring to the motivation to play well. That should be intrinsic, not extrinsic.
Try Jackson, Treacy, Young, hell even Frederick.

JOM isn’t elite. Brodie not getting a game whilst this midfield continuously gets thrashed is such a poor message. Yes he’s injured with the ankle but even weeks prior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back