Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice novel bro. I mean I want us to go for a flag or bust. Not be forever Geelong making up the numbers come September. If that is horrible for you, I couldnā€™t give less of a s**t.
I have to applaud your post.

I rather be making up the numbers like Geelong or even port Adelaide in the last 10 years than be in freos current situation.

Anyone thinks we can win a flag with our current situation.... Well then... Good luck to anyone that does.

I really do want Justin Longmuir to succeed. But he won't get us to a flag.

My biggest concern is having our best players leave and play their best years at other clubs.

Insipid.
Only positive for me was Luke Ryan.
We were never clean, only fumbling around contests, couldnā€™t hit uncontested targets, rarely any leading from f50, and felt like a lack of pressure around the ground.
Honestly one of the worst performances Iā€™ve seen for some time at home
Lol no way. I don't think he had a single disposal that wasn't a 50m bomb to the contest. He got plenty of intercepts, which was good, but he did nothing with ball in hand (10 turnovers, 0 score involvements).

Our small forwards have offered us nothing for the majority of the season. Schultz, Switta, Freddy were so important last year. They have all been shockingly bad in the last few weeks. Not kicking goals, no stints in the midfield. Schultz lost just about every contest with Saad today.

Try Jackson, Treacy, Young, hell even Frederick.

JOM isnā€™t elite. Brodie not getting a game whilst this midfield continuously gets thrashed is such a poor message. Yes heā€™s injured with the ankle but even weeks prior.
Agree. I would have put Treacy in there. He has played there in his junior days. Jackson l wasn't sure about because of his hip, but he rucked so he could have played mid. Young should make the transition as soon as possible. Not irreplaceable in defence by any means Brodie needs back in when fit but also prepared to follow instruction. Frederick needs to transition to wing. He doesn't do enough forward in a consistent enough basis to hold his place up forward when Sturt etc aren't being given equal opportunity

I started watching the forward running patterns when the game was gone and specifically Treacy.

What I liked most was when we took a mark between 50m and 70m out he worked hard straight towards Jye Amiss and said hello to his opponent, switching over with Jye leading into the open space. We didn't kick to him though.

You'll see this in the play right before Switta goaled. That contest from Treacy was against the opponent standing Amiss a moment earlier, Jye long gone leading at the ball carrier.

Lol no way. I don't think he had a single disposal that wasn't a 50m bomb to the contest. He got plenty of intercepts, which was good, but he did nothing with ball in hand (10 turnovers, 0 score involvements).
Its hard to know because no-one is leading and we are totally incapable of either marking down the line, Halving the ball in the air down the line or winning it on the ground. None of our backs kick to advantage but we are totally useless up the ground to be fair.

The bomb to the contest was how we moved the footy today. Nothing was really offered short in the corridor, Carlton clogged that up well.

Its hard to know because no-one is leading and we are totally incapable of either marking down the line, Halving the ball in the air down the line or winning it on the ground. None of our backs kick to advantage but we are totally useless up the ground to be fair.
If we're so useless up the ground then we can't keep going there. It's ridiculous having 35 touches, 880m gained, and zero scores coming from that. A big part of it has to do with how long he takes every time he gets it. Watch the good teams play, they'll kick the ball out before anyones even set up. Our kick ins were so poor last year and the fact that we've done nothing all pre season to work on it is ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started watching the forward running patterns when the game was gone and specifically Treacy.

What I liked most was when we took a mark between 50m and 70m out he worked hard straight towards Jye Amiss and said hello to his opponent, switching over with Jye leading into the open space. We didn't kick to him though.

You'll see this in the play right before Switta goaled. That contest from Treacy was against the opponent standing Amiss a moment earlier, Jye long gone leading at the ball carrier.
I admire your analysis, by that stage I was kind of counting the lights on the top teir and looking out for roosting sea gulls. Maybe I was just bored shitless.

Everyone was frustrated with Hughes not being quicker to kick to his non-leading or working teammates.

Ryan is a key factor in this. Takes so long to move the ball, such a poor decision maker of picking out a player in space.

Our small forwards have offered us nothing for the majority of the season. Schultz, Switta, Freddy were so important last year. They have all been shockingly bad in the last few weeks. Not kicking goals, no stints in the midfield. Schultz lost just about every contest with Saad today.
Nothing. The ball hits the ground, no pressure, no creativity, no idea.
Switkowski has kicked 40 goals in his career. Thatā€™s shocking for his role. Heā€™s too light, has no Walters about him and nothing else other then speed tackling.
Schultz is the player that tries every time. Another one of him would be nice.

Insipid.
Only positive for me was Luke Ryan.
We were never clean, only fumbling around contests, couldnā€™t hit uncontested targets, rarely any leading from f50, and felt like a lack of pressure around the ground.
Honestly one of the worst performances Iā€™ve seen for some time at home

I struggle to see how anyone could think Ryan had a good game other than if they looked at stats only.

Not a single score involvement today. His disposals are useless. Great mark - otherwise adds zero to the team.

Should be traded at the end of the season. If one player is whatā€™s wrong with Freo itā€™s him. Absolutely pathetic footballer.

Nothing. The ball hits the ground, no pressure, no creativity, no idea.
Switkowski has kicked 40 goals in his career. Thatā€™s shocking for his role. Heā€™s too light, has no Walters about him and nothing else other then speed tackling.
Schultz is the player that tries every time. Another one of him would be nice.
Switta has never been a goal kicker. What he had that set him apart was his pressure, evasiveness, and composure with the ball. That's all gone to shit this year. Schultz has been shockingly poor the past month. Only so much trying he can do without having any impact.

I struggle to see how anyone could think Ryan had a good game other than if they looked at stats only.

Not a single score involvement today. His disposals are useless. Great mark - otherwise adds zero to the team.

Should be traded at the end of the season. If one player is whatā€™s wrong with Freo itā€™s him. Absolutely pathetic footballer.

I offer that it's harder to win the ball back like Ryan does than work hard to offer an option up the ground for him to kick to.

We looked to be structured up a bit off today, Walters shouldn't be our funnelling the ball through player in the middle when Frederick is 30m on the left of him, that needs to be the other way around.

I didn't see the game, but looking at the stats, the score, and the AFL summary, I don't need to.

I feared we may be undersized in the midfield, and it proved to be the case. Hated that we had to go in so undersized, but realistically there was no alternatives.

Those calling for JLo's head are entitled to their opinion,but myself I think that's not the answer.

Have a good hard look at the Eagles for comparison purposes.

Much as today stings like a ********** I would point out we are still not as shit as people may currently think.

We have talent. We have a premiership window in front of us. And we need to get fu****g busy during trade and draft period, to shore up the midfield, to make it bigger when we need to... Which we should have the salary cap to do, if we cut some of the guys who are nowhere near it. It'll hurt to lose them, but drafting another midfield monster or two will take too long.

Even with finals out of reach, I'd still rather be where we are currently, than where we were five years ago, or where the Eagles will be for the next five years.

Last edited:
Never thought I would say this. I would think Travis coyler might be handy about now

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Slide Continues - Rd 17 v Carlton Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back