Socceroos The Socceroos Thread - Bye Bye Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not even sure Muscy would want the job, he's going gangbusters in China and is building a pretty decent career as a club manager in Asia. He'd only just be 50, he doesn't need to manage the National team and stall his club career yet. If he's worthy of the job, it'll still be there for him in 10-15 years.

Thanks for 2022 Arnie but you should've gone out on a high there and then.

We are ****ed whoever comes in next. Can we wheel Guus Hiddink out of retirement for funsies?

Just on Muscat, I know the arse has fallen out of Chinese football. But he did give up a job with Yokohama/CFG to take the job.

You'd have to imagine that, financially, the national team is just a love job compared to "top level" club football in Asia wouldn't you?

Surely Tony Popovic is the short odds pick for the rest of the World Cup cycle? Currently unemployed and was very close to the job when it went to Arnold instead.

I can't see them chasing a Muscat with a contract at a foreign club trying to fork out money for him to break it. Even Aloisi with an A-League contract probably makes him unlikely when you have Popa unemployed.

Disaster-option for the FFA would be Harry Kewell unemployed after failing at every job he's had.

Absolute win option would be Herve Renard also unemployed but probably expensive.

Surely Tony Popovic is the short odds pick for the rest of the World Cup cycle? Currently unemployed and was very close to the job when it went to Arnold instead.

I can't see them chasing a Muscat with a contract at a foreign club trying to fork out money for him to break it. Even Aloisi with an A-League contract probably makes him unlikely when you have Popa unemployed.

Disaster-option for the FFA would be Harry Kewell unemployed after failing at every job he's had.

Absolute win option would be Herve Renard also unemployed but probably expensive.
Aloisi would be a disaster option too. Surely we have better standards than this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen some people on Reddit say they want Hervé Renard but I doubt we have the money to entice him to come to the other side of the world.
Having a quick look at his resume, he looks like a decent get. His four years managing the Saudis might help us in dealing with the middle eastern nations.

Just on Arnold - certainly haven’t been a fan of his work over the journey, especially butchering an Asian Cup with our golden generation, then another with poor squad selection and tactics.

But I will give him credit on two fronts
1. The decision to sub Redmayne on in the Peru game took massive balls - we lose that shootout and it’s all he is remembered for.

2. The decision today to go when it’s clearly time, he could have easily hung on gettihg paid good freight until FA finally sacked him (which may have been never).

The appointment is so crucial, as we just have to take 3 points against China to stay in the hunt. Not expecting anything from Japan even if they got Pep or Jurgen to take over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos The Socceroos Thread - Bye Bye Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back