Socceroos The Socceroos Thread - Bye Bye Graham Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Poppa still predominantly run with a back 5 that becomes a back 3 once the wingers take off?
I reckon his game style will suit World Cup qualifying. Sure may be boring and defensive and a lot of counter attacking but its qualifying it doesn't need to be pretty just need to get results.

I reckon his game style will suit World Cup qualifying. Sure may be boring and defensive and a lot of counter attacking but its qualifying it doesn't need to be pretty just need to get results.
I didn't find it boring when he was running the show at the Glory. Davidson and Franjic were exciting to watch whilst Spiranovic and Djulbic were solid and reliable. It sparked life into Kilkenny and Castro too. It was genuinely brilliant seeing the Glory with a reliable defence. Shame it only lasted one season.

Not sure if the Socceroos have the cattle in reserves to play such an attacking brand right now but you never know.

Yeah, I saw enough at Victory and at the Wanderers to suggest he's probably the perfect man for a safe, boring qualification campaign. Problem is we've shat on coaches who've done it that way in the past.

One thing that Popa does have going for him is that his hands are clean after the Victory. He ran a good operation, the team were improving under his watch - we just couldn't afford to keep paying his wage, and he (fairly enough) wasn't prepared to take a pay cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos The Socceroos Thread - Bye Bye Graham Arnold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back