The Summer transfer rumor thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be amazed if we signed Gignac, never seen him play but it would be a great display of ambition.

I have - and I can't believe how many goals he's scored. I don't think he's anything special - certainly not worth the price you would pay anyway.

Given they stole 11m off Bolton for Superspud Elmander.

Owen wouldn't be my first choice as a signing, but the fact that we can't afford a transfer fee to purchase another one makes him appealing. As long as his wage would be geared towards appearances and more importantly goals to cover our backside, then I don't have much of an issue with signing him.

IF this guy can remain fit (which simply he can't)
He can be a superstar, i reckon he needs a fresh start and Everton could be the right place.

Owen wouldn't be my first choice as a signing, but the fact that we can't afford a transfer fee to purchase another one makes him appealing. As long as his wage would be geared towards appearances and more importantly goals to cover our backside, then I don't have much of an issue with signing him.

Apart from him being terrible I assume?

I can't believe how many people around the place are keen on signing him. He's absolutely 100% cooked and he's just not interested.

He'd be best pissing off to the MLS like the mercenary wasting prick that he is.

IF this guy can remain fit (which simply he can't)
He can be a superstar, i reckon he needs a fresh start and Everton could be the right place.
He used to be good. Sometimes very good. (in a much weaker standard league compared to what is today)

Now he's older, lost his most important attritubute, injuries have taken away any meaningful ability he might've previously had and he's coming off a terrible season. in which he contributed next to nothing and looked shit in nearly every game he paid.

he's not even a premier league standard footballer anymore.

He used to be good. Sometimes very good. (in a much weaker standard league compared to what is today)

Now he's older, lost his most important attritubute, injuries have taken away any meaningful ability he might've previously had and he's coming off a terrible season. in which he contributed next to nothing and looked shit in nearly every game he paid.

he's not even a premier league standard footballer anymore.

He needs to string a few games together not one in one out, so he can keep up with the pace of the game. Any premier league team that gets him, pay your medical staff extra to get this man fit and you could have yourself a gem.

Real will sign Ronaldo, Kaka, Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Ribery, Silva, Benzema, Alonso, Tevez and Villa :thumbsu:

Apart from him being terrible I assume?

I can't believe how many people around the place are keen on signing him. He's absolutely 100% cooked and he's just not interested.

He'd be best pissing off to the MLS like the mercenary wasting prick that he is.

He sure had a terrible start to this season didn't he? 9 goals in 15 matches wasn't it? The whole point in offering him an incentive based contract would be to cover our backs, so that if he turns out to be injured, uninterested, lazy, hopeless or all of these, then at least his wages would be beffitting of player of that level of ability.

Sometimes as a football club you have to take these sort of risks. I can remember these same reasons coming out when we were attempting to sign Andy Gray and Peter Reid. Do you know how that ended up? Andy Gray went on to single handedly win Everton a Cup Winners Cup and play a huge role in the '84 FA Cup win and the title win the following season. Peter Reid got himself a couple of PFA player of the year awards and two league titles.

He sure had a terrible start to this season didn't he? 9 goals in 15 matches wasn't it? The whole point in offering him an incentive based contract would be to cover our backs, so that if he turns out to be injured, uninterested, lazy, hopeless or all of these, then at least his wages would be beffitting of player of that level of ability.

Sometimes as a football club you have to take these sort of risks. I can remember these same reasons coming out when we were attempting to sign Andy Gray and Peter Reid. Do you know how that ended up? Andy Gray went on to single handedly win Everton a Cup Winners Cup and play a huge role in the '84 FA Cup win and the title win the following season. Peter Reid got himself a couple of PFA player of the year awards and two league titles.
yep and the league hasn't changed in 25 years.

did you watch him play last season?

yep and the league hasn't changed in 25 years.

did you watch him play last season?

Of course the league has changed in that time, but the fact that the league has changed doesn't mean that my arguement is void. What I was trying to say (I musn't have explained it well enough) was that football clubs can't conduct their whole existence with an attitude or mantra of being risk averse when it comes to their recruitment strategy. Sometimes it pays off to take to odd risk and if you have made a contingency plan through the use of incentive based contracts, then you will create for yourself situations where you have relatively little to lose and a hell of alot to gain, like Everton did with Andy Gray and Peter Reid.

Regarding your second question, I have seen a sample of his matches for Newcastle last season. Some of those matches were from the beginning of the season when he was scoring and some of that sample was towards the end of the season when he was awful.

Of course the league has changed in that time, but the fact that the league has changed doesn't mean that my arguement is void. What I was trying to say (I musn't have explained it well enough) was that football clubs can't conduct their whole existence with an attitude or mantra of being risk averse when it comes to their recruitment strategy. Sometimes it pays off to take to odd risk and if you have made a contingency plan through the use of incentive based contracts, then you will create for yourself situations where you have relatively little to lose and a hell of alot to gain, like Everton did with Andy Gray and Peter Reid.

Regarding your second question, I have seen a sample of his matches for Newcastle last season. Some of those matches were from the beginning of the season when he was scoring and some of that sample was towards the end of the season when he was awful.
scoring doesn't necessarily mean he was playing well.

my point was not to doubt your theory but the application of it with regards to Michael Owen.

I don't see an upside to signing him, as his potential is no longer passable. (imo of course)

the whole point of your theory is to rediscover or get the best out of players of whom other clubs looked the other way. if a player doesn't have that form in him then the risk becomes a wrong answer/solution from the beginning, does it not?

either way - I think my club (aston villa) will sign him and I'd be as disappointed about that, just like I was with heskey.

scoring doesn't necessarily mean he was playing well.

my point was not to doubt your theory but the application of it with regards to Michael Owen.

I don't see an upside to signing him, as his potential is no longer passable. (imo of course)

the whole point of your theory is to rediscover or get the best out of players of whom other clubs looked the other way. if a player doesn't have that form in him then the risk becomes a wrong answer/solution from the beginning, does it not?

either way - I think my club (aston villa) will sign him and I'd be as disappointed about that, just like I was with heskey.

Sort off. It was more about being open minded regarding the upside of a player and that football clubs can't always adopt a conservative approach when it comes to recruitment. Somewhere down the line you have to roll the dice. It doesn't mean that risky signings are a guaranteed approach to success, because for every Peter Reid there is a Richard Gough. If the player doesn't end up having the room for improvement in them to become a success, then yes, you can definatly say that the player wasn't the right solution to the problem. That is why I believe Everton should give Owen an incentive based contract, so that if he isn't the solution to our problem and we have gone down the wrong path, our loss has been kept to a minimum.

Aston Villa confirmed that Barry is talking to Man City. Not sure why he would leave Villa for City other than for monetary reasons since there not playing ECL which i thought was his biggest priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aston Villa confirmed that Barry is talking to Man City. Not sure why he would leave Villa for City other than for monetary reasons since there not playing ECL which i thought was his biggest priority.

Money obviously comes into it, but seeing as Man C have more cash than anyone else players will obviously think success will soon come. They certainly have a better chance of competing than Villa. It will also suit Villa as City will pay what they want and force Liverpool or Arsenal to match it if they want to get involved in bidding for the player.

looks like its a 12 mill deal(daily telegraph). he will be getting around 60,000 pounds a week.

Hooray.

Less chance of selling Alonso! Get in there.

But pretty poor from Barry IMO.

some tottenham news if any one is interested. from the daily telegraph.

Tottenham Hotspur:
Paul Robinson could return to Spurs this summer - a year after leaving to join Blackburn.

The club have got their eye on Steven Taylor but face competition from West Ham.

Joe Cole is also understood to be on the radar.

Didier Zokora will be leading the exodus of players to leave Tottenham this summer.

Redknapp is offering Manchester City David Bentley plus cash in return for Martin Petrov. The club is also eager to sign Djibril Cisse.

Portmouth's Glen Johnson is at the centre of a tug of war betwen Spurs and Liverpool.

Tottenham target Sully Muntari says he would be "crazy" to leave Inter Milan this summer.

Harry Redknapp will revive his interest in Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones, should Sunderland be relegated.

Lazio striker Goran Pandev is said to be preparing to join Tottenham. Celtic midfielder Scott Brown is also high on the target list.

Harry Redknapp has said it is time for a clear out with David Bentley, Darren Bent and Roman Pavlyuchenko understood to be top of the list of those set to leave White Hart Lane.

and for all the liverpool supporters here.

Liverpool:
Xabi Alonso remains a target for Real Madrid, with the Spaniards ready to use Negredo as bait.
Athletico Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez has made it clear he wants a move to Merseyside.
Benitez will go head-to-head with Chelsea in a bid to land Stephane Sessegnon from PSG. The Spaniard is also looking to land Adam Johnson
Glen Johnson, Portsmouth's £10m-rated full-back, is back on Rafa Benitez's radar.
Liverpool will face competition from Spurs for the signature of Carlos Tevez should Manchester United fail to agree a permanent deal with the Argentine when his loan deal ends.
Valencia winger David Silva is believed to be Benitez's primary target, though the manager admits he will have to spend wisely after being given just £20 million to spend, on top of whatever he raises from player sales.

It's like a revolving door at that crap club. Sell 5 or 6 players, bring them all back, sell 5 or 6, they go around in circles. Joe Cole is a tdud, plus he annoys me because he never wears shorts 10 sizes to small. Robinson, wtf?? Gomes has found form. Bentley, Zakora leaving, fair enough. Cisse would be a decent signing. Don't know why they'd get rid of both Bent and Pav.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back