Preview The Swans Redemption Arc Goes On - Sydney vs Port Adelaide - Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This feels like one of those games where the first few goals will really set the narrative but I also think our previous game against Port was the result of mental fatigue from 3 close loses and a pantsing by the Dogs. It sometimes happens when you don't see reward for effort.

Rampe is another big in from that game and I suspect he may be assigned to Rioli, who was extremely damaging in that game, as he was against Toby Greene. The thing that saved us against GWS was staying in touch on the scoreboard despite their dominance. We didn't carry that mindset into the previous Port game and lowered our colours as a result.

No Francis, no Ladhams, no half-baked Mills, on a winning streak rather than a losing streak, well-rested, home ground advantage, our midfield in much better touch (though I hope Gulden finds more of the ball this week), I think enough has changed in the intervening weeks to give us a good shot but I don't think it will be the cakewalk many of the pundits are suggesting.
I would have thought that Cunningham was the obvious match up for Rioli.

I would have thought that Cunningham was the obvious match up for Rioli.
He didn't do a very good job on him in Adelaide from memory but I suppose he wasn't alone in that performance. And we may not actually have that option as Rampe will probably have to play on Georgiardes if Dixon comes in.

He didn't do a very good job on him in Adelaide from memory but I suppose he wasn't alone in that performance. And we may not actually have that option as Rampe will probably have to play on Georgiardes if Dixon comes in.
For me I'd go...

Tmac - Esava
Rampe - Dixon
Melican - Georgiades

I'd have Fox into the team for Mills. If we can fit Mills in defence, we can fit Fox.

But still start with Harry on Rioli, then Fox is an alternative if it isn't working (also an alternative for MG).

Honestly. At this point of the season I'm looking for fit players and experience.

Adams fits the bill.
This is what he was recruited for.
Spot on Donza.
We recruited the guy. He came to us because we kept getting smashed in the clearances.
It's a big game. He is fit & hungry. We lose finals experience & leadership with Mills out so we can get that back with Adams in.
The guy will be super desperate to play in a GF & will give his all.
If we can dominate the midfield battle & score heavily, we can be less reliant on being to concerned about our defensive 50.

So Adams in. Campbell sub.

Spot on Donza.
We recruited the guy. He came to us because we kept getting smashed in the clearances.
It's a big game. He is fit & hungry. We lose finals experience & leadership with Mills out so we can get that back with Adams in.
If we can dominate the midfield battle & score heavily, we can be less reliant on being to concerned about our defensive 50.

Couldn't agree more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Donza.

Not sure if it's guaranteed that he's fit. Relatively low TOG across the season.

Not sure he'll be the answer in midfield given his low centre bounce attendance compared to others.

He had 2 clearances against Port last time (equal 6th in the team). Less than the sub Parker.

Mills was effectively not playing last time and tbh no-one, including Adams, showed a lot of leadership. He wasn't near our worst, but don't think he's the answer people are talking about.

If Adams is a key mid, he pushes Heeney, Rowy or Parker out. I don't see him as an upgrade to any of them.

If he's played off half forward, he hasn't offered a lot there either. Less than Parker certainly.

If we're not getting an upgrade or utilising him, then I'd rather play someone who can provide forward pressure and a goal threat like Campbell, or replace Mills, like Fox.

If we lose one of the aforementioned mids, then obviously he's the logical solution.

Maybe Adams as sub, for a fresh mid later on, but this is risky with Parker already in the team.

I've had grand final accommodation booked in Melbourne for 3 months now. I've been working like a dog all year doing 60 hour weeks and need a couple of nights away from my family (god bless them) and the drudgery of every day life.

Swans, if nothing else, please win this for me and the sake of my alone time, enjoying a buffet breakfast, relaxing by the hotel pool, or a drinking negroni in the lounge.

Please don't make me spend the weekend with my family (god bless them)

Last edited:
Spot on Donza.

And yet he (Adams) wasn't performing in the latter part of the season & was dropped.

Campbell has been a revelation since shifting to the wing / HF line. He'll also be fit & hungry. He's the man in form.

If Campbell doesn't start, I'll feel like Horse has pulled the wrong reign (lame pun intended).

How about our Big 3 and Rowie win the contested footy / clearances.

Do that and whatever Fox/Parks/Adams/Jmac do or don’t do won’t matter.

Another friendly observation from JHWF.
You're a very wise person JHWF.

We win the contest, we will win the game. If we lose the contest, we don't necessarily lose but that's when we will need others in the team to really lift.

Ins Fox
Outs Mills
Sub McInerney

The game will be hard and tough to start as Port know that if they're any chance, they need to get on top early and get a good lead. McInerney just hadn't played enough footy of late and would be better coming on when the game opens up. I suspect that was the plan against GWS but Campbell’s circumstances lead to JMac starting and BJ as the sub.

Mills playing back has allowed us more flexibility in match ups. It means that Rampe and Blakey spend less time as the third tall defender allowing them to do what they do best. In Rampe's case, shutting down the opposition's best medium (v GWS was superb on Greene) and Blakey can play with more freedom. Thus why I think we should go with Fox, who is the most like for like replacement for Mills.

Ins Fox
Outs Mills
Sub McInerney

The game will be hard and tough to start as Port know that if they're any chance, they need to get on top early and get a good lead. McInerney just hadn't played enough footy of late and would be better coming on when the game opens up. I suspect that was the plan against GWS but Campbell’s circumstances lead to JMac starting and BJ as the sub.

Mills playing back has allowed us more flexibility in match ups. It means that Rampe and Blakey spend less time as the third tall defender allowing them to do what they do best. In Rampe's case, shutting down the opposition's best medium (v GWS was superb on Greene) and Blakey can play with more freedom. Thus why I think we should go with Fox, who is the most like for like replacement for Mills.
I'd be happy enough with that, but would want to have tested Jmac's agility and change of direction thoroughly at training. Anyone who is sub must be ready to play a full game and be able to perform.

Cleary would be my sub otherwise.

And yet he (Adams) wasn't performing in the latter part of the season & was dropped.

Campbell has been a revelation since shifting to the wing / HF line. He'll also be fit & hungry. He's the man in form.

If Campbell doesn't start, I'll feel like Horse has pulled the wrong reign (lame pun intended).
Finals are different pressure. It becomes a less open game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back