Preview The Swans Redemption Arc Goes On - Sydney vs Port Adelaide - Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good question. With both Houston and Farrell out they used Burgoyne as the main release player so that would be my guess unless they change up again or bring Farrell back (hail Mary).
Apparently Farrell was running full tilt last week

They might risk him this week

Burgoyne was very good the other night

If Jmac plays then he needs to play 100% even at risk of injury. We can’t carry/cover for him esp in the GF. He needs to change direction laterally, kick across his body, go in for the hard ball gets and do all the things we expect of every other player.

It’s a massive risk playing him IMO.

Jmac was Fast.

I like fast players.

If Jmac plays then he needs to play 100% even at risk of injury. We can’t carry/cover for him esp in the GF. He needs to change direction laterally, kick across his body, go in for the hard ball gets and do all the things we expect of every other player.

It’s a massive risk playing him IMO.

Jmac was Fast.

I like fast players.

Be good to know how he trained pre GWS and how he trained since.

If he isn't fit then different story

Watching Jmac live at the ground, he didn’t just look rusty. He looked like he was protecting his knee, both during contact and when kicking. It made him redundant for the game.

I was very disappointed he was selected, given the players we have waiting in the wings. I hope we don’t make the same mistake again.

If he plays he needs to go 110% like everyone else. I’d prefer for him to get re-injured doing that, than what he gave last game.

Watching Jmac live at the ground, he didn’t just look rusty. He looked like he was protecting his knee, both during contact and when kicking. It made him redundant for the game.

I was very disappointed he was selected, given the players we have waiting in the wings. I hope we don’t make the same mistake again.

If he plays he needs to go 110% like everyone else. I’d prefer for him to get re-injured doing that, than what he gave last game.
Agreed, he wasn’t running on top of the ground like he normally does, and his lateral movement wasn’t great.

I don’t think they should pick him unless he is moving freely.

In contrast I couldn’t believe how well Papley moved and how good his touch was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port is no.1 in the comp for ….. deliberately head butting the turf when tackled.

Willie Rioli is the master of it.

The biggest danger is that Stevic, Gianfagna & co. decide to reward Port’s theatrics.

Could be 8 “high contact” goals … and the subsequent fine Rioli cops (again) for staging won’t mean a thing.

Yep, my thoughts also

Port is no.1 in the comp for ….. deliberately head butting the turf when tackled.

Willie Rioli is the master of it.

The biggest danger is that Stevic, Gianfagna & co. decide to reward Port’s theatrics.

Could be 8 “high contact” goals … and the subsequent fine Rioli cops (again) for staging won’t mean a thing.
Gianfagna spells umpiring death.

Stevic will be furious with Port for knocking out his Hawks.

Better not get 11 Curtis Deboy given the frees he gave GWS in front of goal and the frees he gave the Hawks.

I just hope the right call is made with regard to JMac (and Mills if we win through to the GF).

To me, JMac looked proppy and looked like he didn't have faith in his knee when moving laterally / changing directions. The two worm burners were further evidence to suggest he was either hampered, or just mentally didn't trust his knee.

Some are suggesting he was just rusty and improved as the game wore on. I did notice he had a couple of better moments later, but I wasn't sure if that was just because he only had to move in a straight line.

I don't know how testing works, but I just hope he's tested in match-like conditions and actually tests that he's able to perform at the standard because if he can't move laterally, he's basically a witches hat in a zone defence and a point of weakness Port will look to exploit.

I would probably move Mcinerney to sub so he does not have to play a full game. And Campbell into the starting 22.

Then Fox replace Mills to allow Rampe to play as a smaller defender and Blakey to have less defensive responsibility. But I think they would also consider Adams if they are worried about Port's midfield winning contested possession.

Some stats that show the game against Port was an anomaly.

Besides losing to Port by 112 and WB by 39, which came amidst our shocking 1-5 run, we lost to Ric, Fre, StK & Bri by a combined 10 points.

We've scored 100+ 12 times and 98 points twice.

We've only conceded 100 points twice. Once to Port, the other in a 30 point win against Essendon (131-101). Also lost 99-98 vs Freo.

Port games where the winner has scored 100+

Wins:
148 - 36 Syd
122 - 92 Ric
120 - 70 WC
116 - 75 Ric
111 - 42 Ess
107 - 48 NM
102 - 52 WB
101 - 95 Gee

Losses:
152 - 75 v Bri
138 - 54 v Gee (QF)
123 - 81 v Col
107 - 71 v Car

The 6 point win against Geelong and 50 point win against the dogs are the only wins of note. The rest were against bottom sides.

Port have been touched up by a few of the better sides.

Swans average 97 to 77 across the season. Port 86 to 79.

Of course none of that guarantees us a win, but it does show how anomalous THAT GAME was for both sides.

Redemption awaits 😀

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The Swans Redemption Arc Goes On - Sydney vs Port Adelaide - Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back