Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
LC5NuoY.png

Hi
Bare with me

I haven't done media in a while, and I also haven't been around the league for a while, but ima try my best.

The Sweet F.A is reaching a pretty important milestone soon(ish) and I've forgotten a lot of what made it so important in the first place...
But reading pages of innane rubbish and mass liking it is kind of my forte, and so I plan to go through every page of this forum, all 342 :eek:, and write up a summary of all the qooty, changes and drama from season to season.

From past experience the first like 10 seasons are kind of slow, but I hope the wealth of knowledge I will inevitably accumulate makes me the most pointless human wikipedia to ever exist.

SEASON 1

In the beginning of 2001, Mobbs created an aptly titled thread 'Big Footy League (this is the original thread)' , almost two decades later one of the greatest hidden gems of the Big Footy Board is home of Mobb's qooty; The Sweet F.A.

The humble beginnings of the fantasy behemoth that the league is today began with quite literally frantic support. The entire first page of the Sub-Forum is about 25 threads providing a role call for 15 different teams. To say the league was off to a flyer in the enthusiasm department would be an understatement, however the administration of the league was in it's infancy, and was learning on the job.

With enticing names such as the Ducks, Super SandCrows and Ardent XVIIIII...the list was slowly whittled down to the most committed. In the end, only 7 teams made the cut, with the bye making the first of it's many infamous appearances in the League. Those teams were Team Timmy, Pagan Ducks, BigFooty Dragons, Kournikova, Dingos, Seventh Wonders (Now West Coast Wonders) and Team PUMP (Now Mt. Buller Demons).

Did any future stars of the League debut in this season? (Besides Mobbs, he doesn't count - and he wasn't a player, but the admin) Well...a few. Eagleskickass, or EKA helped Mobbs to run the league and took it upon himself to take control in the following seasons of a rocking ship. Would there be a league today without his influence? Who knows. hilly would go on to win 3 ALL SFA Selections in his career and found another club in Season 5, The Las Vegas Bears, whilst CJH was the only other player to earn multiple selections out of players debuting in the inaugral season.

Kournikova comfortably beat the BigFooty Dragons, spiritual descendents of Dragons FC (S5-7) and the current basement boys Dragons FFC, in the pre season Grand Final to mark the first full competition played using the Qooty Sim. The regular season began with minimal activity, there were some absolute classics;
GO 7TH Wonders!!!!

WOOOHOOOOO

We're gunna kill ya's!
Carna Dragons!

where's wally?

Ill say it again.

UP THE PUMP!!!

Season 1 was a much, much different time, I assume posters weren't allowed on the computer much or went out and did things because the eerily quiet match threads consisted of about 1 and a half cooneys worth of one liners.

There was some interesting ideas floating around even at the very beginning, QT suggested a week off in the season for a 'Sweet FL All Star Match' which sparked Mobbs to comment;
Definitely a good idea ... we'll have to have a good think about the methodology.

Depending on where people hail from, perhaps it could even be a state of origin format? Or maybe not.

Or maybe? The Sweet F.A All Star Match was also eventually done in Season's 15?, 18, and most brilliantly Season 23. Truly a standout match there.

Meanwhile, back in Season 1, the League wasn't so shocked to hear of John Howard's delisting before even lacing up for a competitive game.
John Howard, Feb 27, 2001.
Anyone wants me? I will be a coach of a team if you want. You can have a PM as your coach can't you? What about me playing. Please someone pick me up.

Team sheets were posted as their own thread each week, and team changes were 50/50 on being added to the existing thread or deserving of it's own. There was no media at all. Mobbs even dodgied up some outrageous attendance numbers to boost the League's reputation.

A fixture list decided, Kournikova quickly established themselves as the premier team in the regular season, whilst Team PUMP had the most annoying tag line.
UP THE PUMP!!!!!!!

Halfway through the season, problems within the fixture list saw a lopsided schedule with some teams missing out on games against each other heading into the finals.

The Final Ladder

Rich (BB code):
Season 01 :
TEAM KOURNIKOVA 12 9 3 0 1414 1329 106.39 36
DRAGONS 12 7 5 0 1296 1159 111.82 28
TEAM PUMP 12 7 5 0 1353 1293 104.64 28
SEVENTH WONDERS 12 6 6 0 1408 1337 105.31 24
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEAM TIMMY 12 6 6 0 1166 1252 93.13 24
PAGAN DUCKS 12 4 8 0 1169 1177 99.32 16
DINGOS 12 3 9 0 1277 1536 83.13 12

The Wonders achieved the 2nd highest total score of all 29 Sweet Seasons. In Season 1, Round 11 against the Dingoes they totalled 31.24 (210). Whilst Kournikova won the minor premiership, and proved to be the heavy favourites after beating the Dragons in the 2nd Semi Final, it was the Seventh Wonders who snuck in to steal the premiership from fourth in the first ever Sweet F.A Grand Final, 17.21.123 to 12.14.86.

The league also wasn't completely humourless, there were some early signs of banter emerging; Wooden Spoon winning Dingoe's Captain stealth bomber boldly announced mid way through the season 'we can't possibly lose this week'
We don't play
rolleyes.gif

Whilst overall, the banter lacked and teams weren't as creatively named (Rip ArdentXVIIIII) or enriched in fabricated history as they are now, there is something to be said for where it all began. Most of the Season is a confused conversation between Mobbs and Eagleskickass about what on earth is going on, posted in thread format for all to see and have a giggle at in retrospect. Oh how far we've come.

Season 1 Premiers: Seventh Wonders (West Coast Wonders)
Season 1 Mobbs Medallist: Jethro (11 Games) AlfAndrews (12 Games)
Season 1 Posting Premiers: Anyone's Guess
Retrospective Beez Medallist: Eagleskickass
Notable Players: EKA, Fred, hilly, CJH
Season Quality 1-10: Obviously the first season is historically important, and the foundation from which everthing else in the League has been built but if we are looking at what the league is today, I'd grade it a Light 5.

And with that we reach Page 334.

Cheers for reading, and stay tuned​

Last edited:

I think the SFA needs a competition evolution manager. I for one apply for the cushy job :oops:
If no-one knows what the job is about .....how can you get judged ....a Dream Job :heart:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be interested to find out if I have the staying power for this.

Likewise

Yawn. Thread needs more Bahgdad Bombers :hearts:

If anything has been learnt over the last 7-8 seasons it's that no thread ever needs more Baghdad Bombers.

I didn't debut in that season, nor was EKA the first Administrator.

Fake news.

Also a direct ripoff of the Outback Arena Thread.

shhh and fixed

it was late and i think i know everything

Good stuff mate. I shall be patiently waiting for you to continue doing all the work for the remaining seasons while I sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

I didn't debut in that season, nor was EKA the first Administrator.

Fake news.

Also a direct ripoff of the Outback Arena Thread.
You want me to place the horse's head in his bed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Media The Sweet F.A Retrospective - SEASON 8 pg.4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back