Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah to see where he's at with literacy, numeracy, physical skills etc. Is this not normal? My eldest had to do it too.
Is he able to read words and count? Many little boys are not interested until a bit later than girls (not a blanket rule, obvs).

Is he able to read words and count? Many little boys are not interested until a bit later than girls (not a blanket rule, obvs).
He can count to 100 and do some of his times tables. He can read about 10 words. I’m not worried about where he sits academically, it’s just bittersweet that I won’t have any children at home with me next year.

Back to work full time (I’ve been part time since 2018), no more adventure days during the week, my boys are growing up quickly and I want to make the most of every minute together.

My 10 year old daughters friend told her last week that she thinks about killing herself every day. I know the story about why she thinks this now (DV) and **** it breaks my heart. Nobody should have to deal with that. Especially not a kid. And now unfortunately my child has been bought into it and is quite shaken by it.

My 10 year old daughters friend told her last week that she thinks about killing herself every day. I know the story about why she thinks this now (DV) and **** it breaks my heart. Nobody should have to deal with that. Especially not a kid. And now unfortunately my child has been bought into it and is quite shaken by it.
Have you called child protection?

My first thought is that, if you didn't want to get involved with the other kid/family, mention it to a teacher - they're mandatory reporters, they have to deal with it once they know.

Gosh that's awful. I think it says a lot about your child's nature that the friend felt comfortable enough to tell her. She must be very caring.

The teacher is a good place to start.

I hope both children are okay.

I'm forever worried for my cousins son and daughter after my cousin lost her life to DV.

Her daughter was in the room next door but only 1, her son wasn't in the house but was old enough to understand Mum wasn't coming back.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I hope her friend (and presumably her Mum) manages to escape the perpetrator.

Child in question is safe. Parents have split over a year ago now and child lives with mum.
My first thought is that, if you didn't want to get involved with the other kid/family, mention it to a teacher - they're mandatory reporters, they have to deal with it once they know.
We've known this family for quite a long time. Mothers group, through kinder and now school. The mother is not one I gel with so try to steer clear, I can see she is very clingy and I don't want to deal with that (she's obviously a victim in this situation and I do feel bad for my thoughts but it's just not something I need in my life). It was actually the mother that told us it happened as my daughter claims she forgot about it. The mum has kinda just said "yeah this is our life now, this is what we deal with".

It's a pretty wild situation and not one I really know how to deal with. We've spoken to our daughter and she knows what she can do now, but knowing this child I don't expect it to be the last time its bought up. She's very open about the whole situation. It not uncommon for a conversation with her to start off something like "dad yells at me a lot..."

So sad for all involved.

I have a dilemma and I don't know what the right thing to do is.

My son (7 on Sunday) entered a writing competition at his school. They received 180 entries and he is a finalist, one of only 12 across the whole school. The presentation is on Tuesday - the finalists will be reading their stories out to the audience and then a winner will be awarded.

At the exact same time across town, one of my colleagues, with whom I've worked on and off for 17 years, is retiring due to recently being diagnosed with secondary cancer.

Obviously I can't go to both.

I feel like an arseh*le if I miss my son's presentation, especially since I'm already missing his school concert due to work. His dad and brother will be there. I also feel like an arseh*le if I don't go to the retirement - this woman was a big mentor for me early on in my career and has been there for me through a lot.

WWYD please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My son (7 on Sunday) entered a writing competition at his school. They received 180 entries and he is a finalist, one of only 12 across the whole school. The presentation is on Tuesday - the finalists will be reading their stories out to the audience and then a winner will be awarded.

At the exact same time across town, one of my colleagues, with whom I've worked on and off for 17 years, is retiring due to recently being diagnosed with secondary cancer.

I feel like an arseh*le if I miss my son's presentation, especially since I'm already missing his school concert due to work. His dad and brother will be there. I also feel like an arseh*le if I don't go to the retirement - this woman was a big mentor for me early on in my career and has been there for me through a lot.

WWYD please.

Go to your sons event and explain the situation to your colleague when you take her to lunch

WWYD please.
Take colleague out one on one another time, go to sons event :)

WWYD please.
Family always #1. Go see your sons presentation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back