Rumour The Trade Rumour File

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Essendon are that keen on Crozier, a pick and Martin Gleeson is something I'd take.

The key position players Freo would love are the ones they'd, rightfully and obviously, never put up for a trade. They're also pretty stringent with trades, right?

Gleeson will turn out to be a real gem. Still rakey, but he's tall and looked so composed off the half back flank. He knew he belonged and didn't let any pressure get to him. He was calm and cool with the ball and always looked up and found a decent target, and if he couldn't spot something he was prepared to go for a run and make an option present. He's the kind of player you want replacing Johnson and Duffield – who are essential backmen. Those skills he has would also come in handy when you remember how many people have said Tanner Smith is a shocking kick.

Won't lie, potentially Lyon's biggest knock is that he absolutely does have his favourites. They go in and out of favour a little, but some will always get a chance when they shouldn't and others won't get the persistence they need. St Kilda'll attest to that, even the supporters who aren't bitter about him taking off.

The best players are generally coaches favourites.:rolleyes:All coaches have a list of players that they think they can rely on.

As I understand it, Essendon took Hardingham (who was training with us) after we selected Adam Mcphee in the PSD and leaving a key position hole on their list so we selected Barlow (who was training with them).

So the short story is that by getting McPhee for McFree we also got Barlow.

We need a replacement for;
McPharlin (Silvani)
Silvani (Smith)
Pavlich (?)
Sandilands (?)
Clarke will replace Sandilands, he is a natural #1 ruckman. Then someone like Hannath will be second ruck. Hopefully by in 2015 we get a key position forward as a free agent AND defender. Taberner and Apeness will also be more developed.

2016 forward line

Walters Apeness Morabito
Taberner Clark Ballantyne

+ Crozier, Suban, MDB, resting midfielders (Fyfe and Mundy)

Clarke will replace Sandilands, he is a natural #1 ruckman. Then someone like Hannath will be second ruck. Hopefully by in 2015 we get a key position forward as a free agent AND defender. Taberner and Apeness will also be more developed.

If Hannath was any slower he would be stationary.
He needs to improve his pace to at least a brisk walking pace to make it.;)

2016 forward line

Walters Apeness Morabito
Taberner Clark Ballantyne

+ Crozier, Suban, MDB, resting midfielders (Fyfe and Mundy)

Clarke will be rucking,

Walters Taberner Mayne
Duffy Apeness Ballantyne

Clarke with rest forward and Apeness will Ruck. Morabito, Fyfe, Crozier, Sheridan will rest forward, with Walters have runs through the midfield.
I really doubt Suban and MDB will still be in our best 22 in 2016.

Ideally we would have one more KPP and Walters spending a lot more time in the midfield, but with our current players this is still a very dangerous forward line.

He is still very raw so hard to tell if he is going to make it or not as yet. He was also competing with Griffin and Hannath for the majority of the year for a spot in the 1s and on top of that there was a very tall team already including Apeness, Smith, Bradley, Gumby, Pearce etc.

Yeah agreed, I hope he does make it, but he will be very long term.
Next year will show us if he's got the talent or not, with Kep & Gumby gone he should be in the 1s

If Essendon are that keen on Crozier, a pick and Martin Gleeson is something I'd take.

The key position players Freo would love are the ones they'd, rightfully and obviously, never put up for a trade. They're also pretty stringent with trades, right?

Gleeson will turn out to be a real gem. Still rakey, but he's tall and looked so composed off the half back flank. He knew he belonged and didn't let any pressure get to him. He was calm and cool with the ball and always looked up and found a decent target, and if he couldn't spot something he was prepared to go for a run and make an option present. He's the kind of player you want replacing Johnson and Duffield – who are essential backmen. Those skills he has would also come in handy when you remember how many people have said Tanner Smith is a shocking kick.

Won't lie, potentially Lyon's biggest knock is that he absolutely does have his favourites. They go in and out of favour a little, but some will always get a chance when they shouldn't and others won't get the persistence they need. St Kilda'll attest to that, even the supporters who aren't bitter about him taking off.

Gleeson about to sign at essendon according to afl.com.au

Yeah agreed, I hope he does make it, but he will be very long term.
Next year will show us if he's got the talent or not, with Kep & Gumby gone he should be in the 1s

Moller is ok.Still a stick insect but is good below his knees,can take a grab and has some pace for his height. Plenty to work with and you would think will stay on the list

Moller is ok.Still a stick insect but is good below his knees,can take a grab and has some pace for his height. Plenty to work with and you would think will stay on the list

Seeing as we have another, what, 2 years he can stay on the rookie list you would think we would just wait and see what develops.

Waite as a stop gap measure for next year and backup to Pav is not the worst idea. Gives more time for Tabs and Apeness to develop before we rely on them and might be the missing piece in the short term for 2015.

While I like the idea of finding someone to replace Johnson/Duffield with a cool head and very good skills under pressure there is no way I would be trading Crozier. Any rumours are just based on looking at a Vicotrian youngster playing for a non-Vic team and being on the fringes of selection at present. Just look for defensive rebound players like this in the draft. Along the same lines we need a backup small defender who could stand in for Spurr.

He didn't play favourites with Silva this year, even though the recruiters would probably have liked him to get a go earlier than he did. I can see the same thing happening with Waite. Handy to have on the list and play but if he doesn't perform or the younger guys do then maggos it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't play favourites with Silva this year, even though the recruiters would probably have liked him to get a go earlier than he did. I can see the same thing happening with Waite. Handy to have on the list and play but if he doesn't perform or the younger guys do then maggos it is.

Waite has many lengths on our young blokes at the moment and would have to do something very wrong not to be getting a game in Freo's forward line next year. Please dont even mention Moller as a future player yet no wonder these kids get ahead of themselves.

I still don't get the need to trade players like Suban, MDB, Crozier etc. Any possible trade that would involve them would only be sideway trades, you wouldn't get a better player and you wouldn't get a draft pick higher than a third round. Unless these players WANT to be traded they are still very handy pieces to the team, regardless of whether they're in the regular 22 they provide great depth to the squad. Freo have put too much time and effort in to them plus they know the game plan inside out. Don't see the point in trading at all given they are coming into the prime stage of their careers. I'd hate to see some other club reap the rewards.
Nailed it man!

Am I the only one who thinks that getting Waite isnt that bad of an idea? Pav's last year, possibly Sandilands last year! What would we have to lose if we were to coax him to coming over for a year or 2?

As someone said before he marks everything that comes his way and is a genuine goal kicker.. Definitely an upgrade on Gumby!
I agree. One hammy to Tabs and we're back to square one after the loss of Gumby and Keps. Tabs is good, but if he goes down we need a plug in and play, not another development player( well, one of them too).

I'd say key position is the area we have little depth. Apeness & Taberner ate touted as the future, but hardly proven yet. Hope they work out but. I think Hardingham would be handy and cost us little.

Also, Barlow has surpassed his form before his broken leg. He took a. While to returm to form, but his 2013 & 2014 seasons have been superb
I know height isn't everything but I wouldn't think a 186cm player would be the answer for kpp depth no matter how good he is.

Isn't Waite always injured or suspended at the Blues? Seems like another Colin Sylvia to me and look how that turned out. And Moller is still a young lanky kid. He probably seems like he should be further along because he's been associated with us since he was about 14 years old. I'm pretty sure he was 17 when he actually came over and there is no point in pushing a kid who's body is still developing. Look how long Sandi took. And Zac is still a work in progress. The big blokes take a bit lomger so be patient we've put a lot of years in to this kid.

Trying to get a read of what Nic Suban would be worth, seems like decent big bodied mid with ok skill. Always seems on the fringe with Ross, omitted last week and repeatedly subbed off. Does he lack the defensive mindset that Ross demands. For mine he competes with Mundy, Fyfe and Barlow as hardened mids and seems to be a depth player only.

We have a similar type depth player in Sam Grimely albeit it a 199cm key forward that is behind Rough, Gunsten, Hale, O'Brien etc. Won the Coleman equivalent in the VFL this year with a few late bags of 7 and 8 goals. Whilst Suban has played more senior games Sam has considerable upside, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back