The Umpires To Blame...

Remove this Banner Ad

Derek Zoolander

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2002
Those who blame the loss last night entirely on the umpires, should have another look at the game.

I watched the replay this morning, and i agree, that they were terrible. And last night i was furious at them, but the reality is, they didn't actually cost us the game.

Gian missing
Gilbee kicking to Yze
Cooney having no idea what to do
Not getting a centre clearance
Man to Man on the kick outs

That's what cost us the game. 22 points up with 7 minutes to go? It was ours and we ********ed it against the wall.

We ********ed up.

Umpires

Sporty Spice said:
Those who blame the loss last night entirely on the umpires, should have another look at the game.

I watched the replay this morning, and i agree, that they were terrible. And last night i was furious at them, but the reality is, they didn't actually cost us the game.

Gian missing
Gilbee kicking to Yze
Cooney having no idea what to do
Not getting a centre clearance
Man to Man on the kick outs

That's what cost us the game. 22 points up with 7 minutes to go? It was ours and we ********ed it against the wall.

We ********ed up.

Umpires
Of the free kicks paid, I only disagreed with 2. Griffen's too far and Skipper's interference. I saw a number that were'nt given to both sides. I didn't think the umpires were terrible generally, just in those decisions.

Giansiracusa's kick was tough for a right footer. Most right footers would have missed. Perhaps he should have run out and kick left foot a la Grant in teh 2000 Essendon game.

McMahon has to take most of the blame for the kick in. He was only half hearted in his attempt to mark.

I think Cooney did OK. He resisted the temptation to play on and milked the clock as long as he could. His choices were limited because Melbourne manned up and Davey's spoil was exceptional.

Lack of clearances in the last 10 minutes were what killed us. It was the same in the second and third quarters. Melbourne were better at it than we were during that period of time. That's all there is to it.

A 22 point lead should not be given up in the last 10 minutes. Melbourne is as as good a side as we are, that's why they were able to get within a kick. White's goal was what really lost it for us, though.

O Grobbecker said:
Of the free kicks paid, I only disagreed with 2. Griffen's too far and Skipper's interference. I saw a number that were'nt given to both sides. I didn't think the umpires were terrible generally, just in those decisions.

Giansiracusa's kick was tough for a right footer. Most right footers would have missed. Perhaps he should have run out and kick left foot a la Grant in teh 2000 Essendon game.

McMahon has to take most of the blame for the kick in. He was only half hearted in his attempt to mark.

I think Cooney did OK. He resisted the temptation to play on and milked the clock as long as he could. His choices were limited because Melbourne manned up and Davey's spoil was exceptional.

Lack of clearances in the last 10 minutes were what killed us. It was the same in the second and third quarters. Melbourne were better at it than we were during that period of time. That's all there is to it.

A 22 point lead should not be given up in the last 10 minutes. Melbourne is as as good a side as we are, that's why they were able to get within a kick. White's goal was what really lost it for us, though.

Griffen's "too far" was rediculous...But I do think Skipper's interference call was correct. If they had have been one-on-one then it might have been ok, but given Minson was in front, he was probably considered the 'ruckman', so Skipper was denying White a contest.
I would have wanted it paid for us, put it that way.

I have no problem that Gio's kick was tough...but he did not look confident for one second! Even as he was walking in to kick, he was looking around to his left for a better option!
Once the decision is made to take the kick, go back and focus on kicking it. He "knew" he'd miss it, and it showed.
(and, no-one has mentioned how that free-kick was dubious at best! Was probably there, but could have easily been let go.)

Gilbee's kick-in was poor. Lazy. Slow. Loopy. I know what you are saying, maybe McMahon could have taken a couple of quick steps forward, but he shouldn't have been in that position. He definately did not take a backward step.

Lack of clearances ALL GAME killed us. Poor decision making ALL GAME killed us.

A lot of things went wrong before that free-kick was paid.

(Sorry, don't mean to sound argumentative, just they way I saw it.)

MrChristo said:
A lot of things went wrong before that free-kick was paid.

(Sorry, don't mean to sound argumentative, just they way I saw it.)

It's debate, MrChristo, not argument. Feel free to disagree with me.

Minson was jostling with another Melbourne player. They were the ruckmen. Skipper was coming in to go over the top, as was White. Skipper had his eyes on the ball. When the collision occurred, both were within 5 metres of the ball. I can't see what the free kick was for. Giansiracusa's free kick was a clear in the back, he was ridden into the ground after he had disposed of it. The umpires were consistent with their in the back decisions all night. Neitz got two under similar circumstances. Griffen didn't offend at all. The umpire was just wrong. Perhaps he didn't see the bounce.

The umpires are not really to blame they did make bad decisions in crucial times lets not blame the umpires on this i do hate the umpires sometimes
we did make mistakes especally with a young side having a go in the 8 it was a bonus to have a chance to get into the 8 but at the start of the season Eade's goal was to improve the side and get over the 5 wins mark and we did that and plus i say we wernt ready for the finals Eade diddnt really sound to disaponted, well be better and stronger next year :D

Agreed. We did not play to our best and stuffed up on a few occasions.

However, bad calls by the umpires throughout the whole night didnt help and ultimately the Skipper decision gave them the winning goal.

Is there something wrong with me???

I still feel sick in the stomach from last night. I didnt think we were a realistic flag chance this year, but the finals experience would have been very important for next year . Oh well ip ray we still make it but i shall not be holding my breath.

The bad thing is i was watching the game at home and went right of my tree and totally lost the plot after the game on the main board. I admit i went a little far and will not be posting on here in similar circumstances again

I posted this a little tongue in cheeck a few weeks back

"Regardless of what happens this year I have a feeling that whatever curse has held back our club for so long is slowly being diminshed by an intense battle fought by a mixture of youth, optimism and fanaticism. The likes of Streety, Cooney and Griffen et al have thrown a spanner into the cogs of oppression which for so long have continued the operation of the Doggies Doom and Gloom machine."

Night's like last night really make you wonder if the old conspiracy theories have some merit! Of course i am being proposterous, but I would forgive you if all of a sudden you felt a connection with the African Americans who feel that "The Man" is working against them.

One battle doesn't make a war. Like the PLSA says "if you're not with us, you're against us" and in that respect I am going to offer all those not in the tricolours a hearty "@#$% you!"

SonOfScray said:
I posted this a little tongue in cheeck a few weeks back

"Regardless of what happens this year I have a feeling that whatever curse has held back our club for so long is slowly being diminshed by an intense battle fought by a mixture of youth, optimism and fanaticism. The likes of Streety, Cooney and Griffen et al have thrown a spanner into the cogs of oppression which for so long have continued the operation of the Doggies Doom and Gloom machine."

Night's like last night really make you wonder if the old conspiracy theories have some merit! Of course i am being proposterous, but I would forgive you if all of a sudden you felt a connection with the African Americans who feel that "The Man" is working against them.

One battle doesn't make a war. Like the PLSA says "if you're not with us, you're against us" and in that respect I am going to offer all those not in the tricolours a hearty "@#$% you!"

With ya Brother.

bulldogrob said:
Is there something wrong with me???

I still feel sick in the stomach from last night. I didnt think we were a realistic flag chance this year, but the finals experience would have been very important for next year . Oh well ip ray we still make it but i shall not be holding my breath.

If there is, then there's something wrong with all of us....hence we're all still here, typing our little heads off on various topics the day after our season effectively ended.

btw, Is Ip Ray any relation to Fazza?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrChristo said:
Lack of clearances ALL GAME killed us. Poor decision making ALL GAME killed us.

Exactly. There is no point having a "so called" good midfield if we can't win it out of the centre. This hasn't exactly been our strength all season, though. Hell, even Collingwood killed us in the centre in the opening round. I just feel if we start dominating in the middle we are going to be a very good side - and I am talking top four and pushing for a flag. I am confident the likes of Cooney and Griffen will be excellent extractors next season. We already know that West and Cross are good at getting first hands on the ball, but you will see mighty improvement from Cooney and Griffen in this department next season. Oh, I'm excited.

O Grobbecker said:

No offence Otto, but Brian Harris being ridden into the ground by Robertson flying several seconds early, perching on his shoulders and riding him down when metres away from the fall of the ball is the worst decision I have seen in 33 years of going to games. From where I sat, to pay that as a "shepherd" confirms the opinion I have of several umpires, but Michael Vozzo in particular. Regrdless of the result, or overall performnace on the night, that single decision effectively removes any ethical compulsion on me to teach my sons that umpires should be respected because "they do a hard job, it's a subjective game, the rules are grey, etc, etc, etc". I have refrained from "bagging" the umpires since I began taking my eldest son last year, and continually explain to him that the calls of "maggot" (and worse) are people's frustrations because everyone sees the game differently. I have had nearly 48 hours to diffuse the emotion of the loss on Sat night (I was minus kids at that game), but in the end my opinion remains as it did when that free was paid. Polly Farmer is right, they are all too soft to play the game, have no idea of interpreting the rules consistently, and regardless of the direction they receive from that peanut Geischen, they are slime-sucking low life maggots who should be abused by supporters of all 16 teams in unison every week. The umpiring I experienced at both junior and adult levels in suburban competitions over many years never frustrated me anywhere near as much as the umpiring in a single quarter at AFL level. Vozzo, Stevic, Schmitt, Kennedy (the worst in my opinion) - these blokes should be held up as an example of how to destroy a fair contest. If it wasn't for Mr McBurney on Sat night, the game WOULD have been decided by bad umpiring decisions, as he seemed to be the only one of the three who was aware of the fact that the two teams expected some sort of reasonable adjudication. And therein lies a major problem - probably only a third of the AFL senior list umpires are of a standard, or a knowledge where they can make decisions effectively, in effect only one of the three at any given game.

Glad I got that off my chest, now life can move on until Friday night.... :D

20 points up with 7 minutes to go with two golden chances to kill the game. We didn't take them, hence allowing the demons to have a sniff and they took it with both hands. Gotta be in a winning position to get those free's and as far as im concered we should not have let them get to a winning position.

It seems easier to blame than to accept responsibility for skill errros and inept decsion making, because these were the two reasons why the demons got back into the game and won. As bad as the umpires were, we still managed to be 20 odd points up and it should of stayed that way!!!!! End of the goddam story........

MrChristo said:
I have no problem that Gio's kick was tough...but he did not look confident for one second! ... (and, no-one has mentioned how that free-kick was dubious at best! Was probably there, but could have easily been let go.)

Agreed. I think the umpire got conned by Godfrey falling over the top of Giansiracusa as he went down. From a distance, it was probably worth paying.

But technically, I think Godfrey did everything he could to avoid touching Gia's back. I don't think there was anything that constituted a push in that contest.

Gia was falling as part of the contest anyway, and I thought Godfrey simply went over the top of him with his momentum.

im still 50/50 on that last free kick, Skipper had his eyes on the ball and Jeff White milked it and it shows where this game is heading and how its turning into soccer.

I hope something comes back to bite White in the backside or maybe playing for Melbourne for most of your career is enough punishment :)

crownie said:
im still 50/50 on that last free kick, Skipper had his eyes on the ball and Jeff White milked it and it shows where this game is heading and how its turning into soccer.

I hope something comes back to bite White in the backside or maybe playing for Melbourne for most of your career is enough punishment :)
lets move on we're all dissapointed , pessimistic is usually my middle name but this team is going places. Lets be honest they've gone from flag favourites to scraping into the 8 we're coming from 14th. This is gunna be huge motivation.

paul scholes said:
lets move on we're all dissapointed , pessimistic is usually my middle name but this team is going places. Lets be honest they've gone from flag favourites to scraping into the 8 we're coming from 14th. This is gunna be huge motivation.
end of thread.

crownie said:

thank you Mr King! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Umpires To Blame...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back