The US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

My brother is over there at the moment, doing a bit of travelling with a mate before meeting up with his GF who is over there on study exchange in Canada.

They did the LA-Vegas drive a couple of days ago, first time I've ever been envious of him!

I did the top of the rock instead. people say the views are better there then the empire state plus you dont have to wait as long to get up there.

I have been up both twice each. They are both good, probably better views at top of the rock (times square, central park, etc), but empire state has a better history, story and architecture.

Are those here driving or looking to drive across the US going to hire a car? or do you know someone over there, or going to buy one just for it?

I've had thoughts of driving across the US too but not sure the cheapest/best way of doing it.

I'm hiring a car as there's 6 of us so I need a large sized 4 wheel drive.

A cheap way to drive around the states is to get driveaways - people need the car taken from A to B so they use people to drive it for them - usually only costs you the fuel you use. Good way to do it if you're not too fussy about where you want to go and want to get to see the country by road. My brother spent about 3 months criss crossing the US doing this.

I am planning a trip to the US and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to and from Yellowstone.

Thing is I'm not sure if I want to drive there but I also don't really want to be on a rushed bus tour, as I'd rather be doing my own thing. Has anyone been to Yellowstone and have any suggestions.

I am planning a trip to the US and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to and from Yellowstone.

Thing is I'm not sure if I want to drive there but I also don't really want to be on a rushed bus tour, as I'd rather be doing my own thing. Has anyone been to Yellowstone and have any suggestions.

Did the Yellowstone NP a couple of years ago. I flew into Salt Lake City (as it was the biggest city in the vicinity and car hire was reasonable) and drove up to Grand Teton NP and then continued north to Yellowstone NP. Both NPs border each other and Grand Teton NP is certainly worth a look.

Alternatively, you could fly into Jackson, which is the closet town next door to the Grand Teton and Jackson Hole is known for its skiing.

Yellowstone NP is one of my highlights of my overseas jaunts to date and would highly recommend. Not many places to stay other than West Yellowstone.

Send me a PM if you wish to know more.

I have been up both twice each. They are both good, probably better views at top of the rock (times square, central park, etc), but empire state has a better history, story and architecture.

You couldn't get better views of NY than the views you got from the top of the World Trade Centre, unfortunately that's not an option anymore. Luckily I was there pre-9/11 and the views across the city and out across the harbour to Staten Island were amazing. I think they called it the 'Top of the World' and it felt like it. Was quite a shock to see those buildings reduced to rubble a couple of years later.

Definitely recommend NY as a city, one of the few places that actually lives up to the hype and probably exceeds it. So much amazing stuff to see, just by walking around a few blocks of Manhattan.

San Diego was one of my other favourite US cities, the complete opposite to NY. Very similar to my hometown Perth, quite laidback with great weather and beaches. Some great bars in the Pacific Beach/La Jolla area too. Didn't get to see Ron Burgundy though.:mad:

Just got back from 12 weeks in the US, awesome, awesome place, didn't see a lot of the country but what I did see Oregon and the California coast was superb, rented a car and drove from Portland down along the coast to LA, car was about 70 bucks a day AUD, and fuel was 25 bucks to fill up which I got about 300 miles to the tank, food is cheap, accom was cheap, people were fantastic, planning to go back next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NYC=Cheap:confused::confused:?

Yeah NYC is a great place but the last thing I'd call it is cheap. I was lucky to have free accomodation when I was there, as I was staying at a friend of a friend's apartment, but it still cost me a packet doing all the touristy stuff and going out at night.

in New York at the moment and I must say the place is mind blowing, and everything is so damm cheap!

What the??? New York was ridiculously expensive when we went. Our hotel was more than $300 per night for a very small room and you didn't really have many choices for dining because anywhere decent was very expensive.
Regardless, we'll go back one day.

Looking to move over to the Grand USA, My Girlfriend is from New Milford in Connecticut, about 90 mins from NYC. Was wondering how are the jobs over that way? Will I be able to find some casual employment? What is the cost of living over there?

I couldn't tell you about Connecticut specifically but I think the jobs market in general is pretty tight. It depends what field you are in, though. If you just want to do some odd job then you should be able to find something, though it might not be a great job.

I suspect that Connecticut might be expensive to live in, though, being so close to NYC and also being a pretty affluent area in general.

I was in NY 2 weeks ago, and I have to agree, I did find a lot of things tol be quite cheap.

Accommodation, not so cheap. Electronics, quite cheap!

agree - accomodation is sky-high but you know, you're hardly in the room anyways

I've been twice, found food / shopping to be reasonable. I'm happy with a burger or eating at a diner etc.

Head to the Greyhound station and get the hell out of there. Hole.

Haha I didn't think there would be much. Although it is apparently the most visited city in Texas so I thought it might have something going for it.

Thankfully I wont be there too long. 3 days at most I would have thought. Just looking for something to do on the other 2 days that the wedding is not on. Hopefully there is some sport going on.

Heading back to the states at the end of this year for a wedding.
Going to hit NY again for a white christmas and then head to Vegas for the bucks then onto San Antonio for the wedding.

Anyone know of anything good to do there?

Well, San Antonio is where the Battle of the Alamo was fought.

It has the San Antonio Spurs (NBA) so from November onwards you could catch a game if you have an interest in basketball.

Haven't been to Texas yet and would have the psych myself up for all those rednecks before I got there.

Remove this Banner Ad

The US of A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back